Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP's & Portfolio] Sanro's character art

triangle
Offline / Send Message
Sanro triangle
Hey Polycount, my name is Santiago Roldan and I'm aspiring to become a character artist. I'm on my 3rd year at university but my knowledge of 3D is 95% self taught.

This is my first proper character, which is based on the concept Resonance by Fred_Augris.

Still very much W.I.P:

Sci-ficharacterprogress_zps825fdb08.jpg

Sci-ficharactercloseup_zpse7971d91.jpg

Any critique is greatly welcome as I'm currently the only person really seeing my work, so rip it apart!

Thanks guys

Replies

• Sanro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sanro triangle
    A lot of time messing around trying to get the trousers (pants) & boots to look right and I'm pretty happy with the result - but it might just be because I've been looking at it for too long. Thought I would post a shot up before I go much further.

SciFiProgress_zpsa698f759.jpg

Thanks for stopping by and again any C&C welcome!
  • Sanro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sanro triangle
    Done for the weekend - I will probably start retopology and UVing this week if I have any time, and go back to detailing later on to give myself a break.

Pretty excited to see the progress in my first character, will have to see how the next steps go!

SciFiProgress_zps0249aec0.jpg
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    For your first proper character its pretty good! Its deviating from the concept quite a bit so I wont crit there, but I do wonder what you are going to do with the dreads? Is the idea to low and bake a couple and then duplicate them around in the low poly?
  • Sanro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sanro triangle
    seth. wrote: »
    For your first proper character its pretty good! Its deviating from the concept quite a bit so I wont crit there, but I do wonder what you are going to do with the dreads? Is the idea to low and bake a couple and then duplicate them around in the low poly?

thank you! yes that's exactly the plan - a short and a long dread repeated around. If that doesn't look natural I will then make a 3rd or 4th one.

I'll be doing a little bit more of detailing then move onto the retopology, I want this wrapped up pretty soon
  • Sanro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sanro triangle
    [IMAGE DUMP!!]

Haven't posted in a while do to uni work and other stuff but after a few weeks of abandonment I've revisited the Sci-fi girl, and have also done about 70% of the low poly.

Sci_Fi_Update_zpsad480f78.jpg

Also started on a more stylized character for my final year project:

Mabi_Face1_zps822df467.jpg

And for another uni project I have so far modelled and rigged this guy, although it needs detailing:

1_zpsc015fa30.jpg
    2_zpsd6e607cd.jpg

As always any critique is welcome in any area :)
  • Sanro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sanro triangle
    Had some time to work on the Sci-Fi Girl, did the lowpoly, baked and started texturing (mainly base colours and AO so far, been learning Marmoset for the day). Also posed the character in Zbrush but I seem to be stuck with copying and pasting the UV's (they got lost), so unless I can find a solution I'll just create a simple rig and pose her again sometime soon.

Marmoset_Preview_zpseb79271f.jpg
    screenshot0_zpse08ee8eb.jpg

18,497 triangles
    2048 for the body & headphones (diffuse, normal, spec)
    1024 for the head & hair (diffuse, normal, spec)
    1024 for the jetpack (diffuse, normal, spec)

Textures still very WIP