Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The art of The Fall - [Unity] game

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
John Warner polycounter lvl 18
Hey y'all,

It's been a while since I've been on the internets, sharing my stuff. I've been working hard on a game called The Fall, and wanted to share some of the artwork I've been doing here. This is also friendly project promotion - I'm trying to get the word out on my Kickstarter campaign by sharing useful stuff, as opposed to spamming everyone. So, without further adue:

The Fall is a cinematic platformer that looks like this:
OpeningShot.jpg

You play the role of ARID, an artificial intelligence controlling the suit of a human who's lying unconscious inside. The AI struggles to save its human friend while being limited by its own laws of robotics. As players explore and sole puzzles, ARID begins to find contradictions in its rules and slowly gains personal choice.

Characters

The main character
ARID.JPG
ARIDZbrush.JPG

The Fall was designed to be a manageable project, as it's currently being developed by myself. The vague art style was selected because of this. Also, the characters are all fairly simple in their design as well; ARID here is the only character to get a ZBrush treatment, as it is sometimes seen fairly close-up in some NISes.
ARIDWireframe.JPG

All the characters are designed with fairly similar anatomy, so that they can share the same rig, again for the purpose of reducing production time. Note that the general anatomy between the characters is similar.

DomesticDroid.jpg

A domestic droid. The idea here is that this thing is able to project various imagery onto its surface, to make the humans around it more comfortable. It’s going to be used in an NIS so the level of detail is somewhat comparable to the main character, but not quite as high.
ArmyRobot.jpg

A security bot. These guys are the bread and butter of combat and never get much of a close-up. They were designed to be simple.

Environments

Environments in The Fall are designed to be somewhat visually vauge as leave as much to the imagination as possible. I quite like simplicity and Limbo was one of my primary inspirations.
ByThePan.jpg

Environments range from being more flat, with 3D elements like the above image, to having a slightly more general 3D feel like these next two. I like the idea of playing with depth in different scenes. These shots are still in development and need a few more details.
ScreenShot_Elevator.JPG

ScreenShot_Kitchen.jpg

Environment Construction

Being able to create content quickly is crucial to The Fall, so environments are constructed out of a number of tile pieces that can be dressed up after they’re assembled. These pieces use a custom shader with a custom normal map, to allow them to be lit in interesting ways without light spilling into parts that should remain black.
OpeningShot.jpg
TileSet.jpg

After that, layers are rendered in various passes to fix issues like 3D geometry clipping with 2D planes. Post effects and particles are added, and there you have it:
Composite.gif

That's about it! Let me know what you think. I’ve also got a trailer, and a more detailed description on the Kickstarter page here. Take a look if you're interested!

All comments and critiques are welcome. The game has got a long way to go, and there are still details and polish I'd like to add. It's gotten as far as it has because of people who both got excited about it and critiqued the hell of it, so I'd love to know what you think.

Cheers!

Replies