Home Technical Talk

XNormal Unable to Bake Multiple UV's ?

TAN
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
TAN polycounter lvl 12
Hello everyone. Another quick question.

I am trying to bake my character's textures at XNormal. It has around 20 different pieces ( Eyes, clothes, armour) . I am listing both high and low poly meshes properly in XNromal's High Definiton and Low Definiton mesh parts.

So far XNormal just bakes them like they are close to each other so the texture that comes out is a mess. Like A flower near the head of the character also bakes pink into hair.

So XNormal can't bake multiple files into a single UV I guess ? We have to combie them all in Photoshop ?

The bake settings:

Edge Padding: 3
Bucket Sİze: 16
Closest hit if ray fails: True
Discard BAck Faces hits: True
Anti Alias: 4x

Oh I also use "Ray Distance Calculator" at Tools before baking :D

Thanks everyone.

Replies

• Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    xNormal can bake multiple files to one map just fine. Are you sure none of your UV shells are overlapped, that there's enough space between them, or that your ray distances aren't too high?
    Posting your result would probably help to see what you're doing wrong.
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Yep here comes:

UV's are just fine.

I am just using " Ray Distance Calculator" in the Tools section. Is it wrong ?

As you can see it is just like.... as if you are baking it in 3dsMax without seperatng them so parts that are close to each other bakes on each other.

AGf7zz9.jpg?1
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    I never use the Ray Distance Calculator tool, just tweak the frontal and rear ray distances by hand most of the time.
    You should try setting them to lower values, it looks like they are too high for many areas.
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Hmmmm. I guess you are right.

So I hve never did hat before. I'll try and post the result. Do you have a suggestion as to what degree should I begin with ? Like 0.45 maybe ?
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Failed. There are simply too many parts to manipulate by hand piece by piece.

How do you do adjust these numbers Bal ?
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    I rarely work with so many individual lowpoly meshes, I just export my whole mesh as one object, so it's never an issue.
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    You can simply merge all of your model parts into single scene and place them by leaving a small gap between them to prevent casting the rays onto each other. When baking complete you can retrieve back to unexploded model where the parts are placed on their original positions. Using separate files for each object is unnecessary.

Also it's highly recommended to use a cage model for baking. Ray distance method might give you bad results especially when you have to manage multiple chunks. Cage model defines the length and direction of the rays to be casted on the mesh, it gives better control on your model than ray casting.
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ive been playing with the high poly offset feature with exploded low poly mesh, and maybe i have to use a cage but just with really small ray distances it still renders artifacts onto other parts of the uvmap .. any ideas ?
  • Sinking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uhm, when I have problems baking mutiple maps in XNormal, I usually separate the pieces and bake them out individually. Then you get a few images you have to combine by using the overlay mode in Photoshop; just put them on top of each other on 100% and chose the overlay mode. You can also tweak the layers individually, until you get a normal map that suits your needs.

This may be a bit complicated, but I found it really nice to re-bake parts that needed tweaking without having to destroy my entire normal map PSD.