Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Remington 870 - Material Definition Practice

Hey Polycounters!

I had an old High Poly shotgun of a Remington 870 Tactical that I decided to finally make game ready. I just finished developing my portfolio: www.Stockwell3D.com, so I thought I would work on finishing up some Props to add. This will be the first gun I've made that I'm taking to texture, so i'm really trying to work on my material definition.

The diffuse for the time being is mainly flat dark colors overlayed with a soft metal texture.

Most of the detail in the metal is coming from the spec and gloss right now, I'll transfer over those details later.

I would still am looking at this as a first pass on the material, but I wanted to know what all of you fine folks thought about it!

NEWEST UPDATE:

Remington_wip_006.jpg

OLD:

Remington_wip_004.jpg

1e3ufKo.jpg

lVzj1ci.jpg

Replies

• Kanoba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanoba polycounter lvl 5
    Looking really good man, sorry i dont have much crit for ya!
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    So you're doing870-Express-Tactical-81198-prod.ashx

In my opinion the colors and mats are just boring. Portfolio pieces should be all about eye catching. Having something just one plain color, especially weapons is easy to skimp on, it's harder to read the details. You're an artist, why not put a bit of artist spice into it :)

As for material wise. That plastic section in the mid of the stock, the normals are off track and not grainy enough.

This is what the material is, it might help illustrate the feel of the mat:
    handlegrips-style10_lg.jpg

The spec is not doing the metal justice, the way metal is defined is when it reacts to light. You can see all the nifty details, and yours looks pretty much like you used your diffuse as a spec. Also looks like you have no cavity map, add this too your metal and it will make the edges pop a lot more!
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    Looks accurate.

Metal is looking a bit dull, maybe try cranking up the spec a bit.
    Unless you're wanting a parkerized finish like the stock 870 xpress tactical, in which case I'd suggest toning down the metal grain and pushing a little more random high freq noise.

I'm torn with the stock. These pics I dug up its got a decent sheen to it, but I personally like a slightly duller appearance to the polymer to help separate the materials a little more.

Whatever you decide to go with, here are a some high res shots for you to examine the oem materials / finishes.

ones a 4k pick so to keep from dragging the thread bandwidth down, links.
    Left Side
    Muz Break
    Slide/pump

:thumbup:
  • silkroadgame
  • Tim270
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tim270 polycounter lvl 6
    Just a note - in the muzzle there seems to be some green artifacts, not sure if you noticed it or not.
  • Stockwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks everybody for the feedback, I've been working more on the metal, want to nail the material for the metal before I move onto the plastic. Some great reference really appreciate it guys! :)

@Kanoba - Thank you!

@Tynew - I absolutely agree with some artistic expression! :poly122: As nervous as that may make me, but I thought it would be cool if I used this model, along with a few separate texture sheets, ie: one with plastic grips/cleaner metal and one with wooden grips and older metal. I had also wanted to do a flashlight and scope attachment once I nailed the materials. By the end I would like 3 or 4 variants on the same model to show off some different materials and definitions.

I'll make sure to fix the noise in the plastics normals, my spec map had been on some lower values so i pumped those up, my diffuse at that point was a flat base color and all of my detail was coming straight from the spec map. Redid my cavity maps as well, I can't use xnormals or ndo2 from where I work right now, so I'm using philipKs' photoshop actions to generate my cavity map, similar effect but not nearly as good as Xn or Ndo.

Thanks for the response, will keep what you said about some artistic freedom in mind :poly142:

@Grimm Wrecking - Thanks so much for the reference! I had done some extra work on the metal before I saw those but now that I have I definitely need more high frequency noise in ... everything. I'll play with my specs and normals for that noise.

I had wanted to keep the Glossieness on the stock much duller too for that same reason, so I went back and darkened up the spec a bit for it, although I did it really quickly and didn't do any touch up's after, I focused most of my time on the metal, so I think the stock even looks a little worse right now, but I'll jump on that today.

Not to mention the massive wavy bake error on the back of the stock :poly127:

Thanks though!

@silkroadgame - Thank you!

@Tim - I did spot that, it's been fixed now. Thank you.

So here's my update, I turned up the spec, added a faint cube map, started adding some unique details and a bit of other odd bits here and there. Today my goal is to work for a few more hours rendering out the metal pieces more, not just the receiver, and define my plastic grips again.

Thanks again everybody, more feedback always welcome!!!

1e3ufKo.jpg
  • Stockwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did some more work this morning! I'm becoming much happier as I keep pushing it. Still not entirely done, but I feel I'm getting closer. I need to find a different noise pattern for the majority of the stalk, and hit the fancy middle piece of the stock with a new pattern as well and normals.

Next up though will be to make another material and texture sheet with a wooden stock and much older/rustier/beat up metal.

Remington_wip_004.jpg
  • theSixtyEight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theSixtyEight polycounter lvl 7
    better and better, latest one looks oldest but I really like how reciever looks like :)
  • Stockwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Paul - Thank a lot! I've taken a look at your stuff before and it's definitely been a push to me to do some nice weapons. Really appreciate it!

So i've been touching up the materials lately and finally got to a point where I think i'm almost done, I still want to dirty up the stock really lighting and add some finger prints to the gloss.

I also started working on a wooden stock and pump variant. I've tried to rust up the metal a bit more and add some pitting to the noise. I think it needs a little bit more work though so I thought I'd see what you all thought about the new one.

Thanks for the great replies you guys, this has all really been a help. Next up after I cal the two textures done done, I'll move onto a few attachments.

Remington_wip_005.jpg

Remington_wip_006.jpg