Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Survivor Character (Inspired by The Last of Us)

Hi guys.

I've been working on this character for some time now. It's inspired by The Last of Us and the sculpts posted on zbrushcentral but i'm nowhere near good enough to reach the quality of those characters :)

I still have a couple of things that lacks polish like the backpack, straps and shoes.
ri3n.jpg
51th.jpg

I'm also making a hunting rifle for him that I'm currently working on the textures with.
3hxe.jpg

Crit and feedback is much appreciated :)

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    get your bigger shapes in place before your scatter them with detail, that head has less shape than odo from startrek ;)
  • Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Neox wrote: »
    get your bigger shapes in place before your scatter them with detail, that head has less shape than odo from startrek ;)

Neox : Oh man, you killed me ^^

zicoV : Give that head some personality! That's the most important part a of character so give it some shapes. Why not get some refs from an actors that you really like and/or has a very interesting face or facial features.

Other than that cloth sculpting looks good but still need polishing.
  • arcitecht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arcitecht polycounter lvl 6
    Agreed, especially from the front and 3/4ths views the head looks "basemeshy". The eyes are too large. It could also benefit from more definition in the eyebrow and forehead area. I see some vague indications of the forms, so don't be timid about really cutting those shapes in
  • oxblood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxblood polycounter lvl 9
    The cloth is sculpted really well like these guys said, to add to the crit, the wood and texture on your gun could use some work they look a little flat. really good so far though besides thoes things
  • Kanoba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanoba polycounter lvl 5
    Im not too sure about the process in Zbrush but would just suggest that if its a post apocalyptic setting his cloths might be abit more ripped an roughed up, other then that looks great :)
  • zicoV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your feedback guys.

@oxblood Just started textureing the rifle so its just a wood overlay and base colors for now :)

Here's some progress on the head

h5qb.jpg

I'm finding it difficult to add too much definitions to his face with making him look very old. Kinda wanna keep him looking 25-30 years old.

I also tried polypaint for the first time. Mostly followed Mask_Salesman's mini tut on polypainting.

c1n9.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Looking better dude!

The upper lip looks too narrow to me. and the lower lip doesn't appear to be wrapping in/under the upper lip correctly (at the corners).

Get some reference of a person at the 3 quarters view. The cheek and jowl area (area around the mouth) should be more defined. it still looks too flat there.

The skull itself could be defined a lot more especially the temples. You would be surprised how much a difference that can make in the overall look.

I would pull the eyelids out more making them more sphere shaped. The eye area looks flat to me, especially the lower lid.

Your skin pores are way big and should indent more, rather then come out like that. I would advise you just smooth all that out anyway, its distracting and can be done when you texture him anyway.

Nice work so far dude, keep at it!
  • zicoV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys :)

@BradMyers82 Thanks for your help. I guess i made the pores and stuff in zbrush cause i'm trying to replicate the sculpts for last of us but i got it all on layers so i guess i will experiment with that when it comes time for the bakes.

Here's some more progress shots.
    I've been through quite a few iterations of the face and i'm still not quite sure about it. What do you guys think ?

fz98.jpg

aj7x.jpg
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinad polycounter lvl 11
    The face looks much better! The original upper lip bothered me a bit. The zygomatic arch looks much better in your updated version. Personally, I'd tone down the surface noise on the face a bit once you get back to that stage.
  • zicoV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just about done with the high poly and slowly starting on the low poly. What do you guys think ? :)

dlq2.jpg
  • zicoV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update. Finally got my bakes down for this character. Still a few area's that could use some love.

He currently clocks in at around 20k tri's

c8lx.jpg
  • zicoV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on the texture.
    Just flat diffuse so far but let me know what you think :)

le8b.jpg
  • zicoV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just about there with the diffuse.
    Working on finishing the specc & posing him at the moment and then I'll try to do some beauty shots in cryengine.

Any feedback would great :)
    wsxu.jpg