Home Technical Talk

Questing for the perfect Bake: Max to Zbrush to Xnormal to PS to UDK Workflow Tests

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
emckenney polycounter lvl 6
For a large part of my time working with normal maps I have either accepted baking errors or fixed them by hand in Photoshop.

Now I have decided to finally really dig into the process of baking normal and AO maps using 3DS Max, Zbrush, Xnormal, nDo2 and Photoshop to be displayed in UDK.

My main motivation for this is to push my new personal project further than anything currently on my portfolio. Here is a link to my w.i.p. thread for this enviro:
http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1914001#post1914001

I have been digging around on the PC forum, talking with industry friends and watching training videos to learn as much as I can this last month.

Here are a few of the things that have really help explain all the options available for baking and how they work.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107196

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81154

http://wiki.polycount.com/EnvironmentSculpting

http://eat3d.com/free/xnormal_overview

https://www.3dmotive.com/f105301

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGszEIT4Kww"]The Fundamentals of Perfect Baking - YouTube[/ame] (A great video tutorial covering most of the above information)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNgs2DcAsF4 (Tileable Brick Tutorial using Zbrush)

So with that, now I would like to share with you the results of the tests I've done in attempt to complete my quest for a perfect bake. So far, I'm sad to say this is on going. I would really appreciate any and all feedback.

Replies

• emckenney
    Offline / Send Message
    My first step was to determine if it was necessary to flip Y when exporting and baking for this pipeline.

The short answer turned out to be yes.

I flipped Y in Xnormal for my bakes and when exporting from Max.

Flipping the Green channel in the Normal Map will accomplish the same results.

TestCube_Normal_Map_PosNegY.jpg
  • emckenney
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the workflow that I used to create this test bakes based on what I learned from the above links and trial and error.

1. Max .obj export for zBrush.

TestCube_OBJ_Export_Settings_01.jpg

2. ASCII Export for UDK

TestCube_ASCII_Export_Settings_01.jpg

3. Xnormal General Bake Settings.

TestCube_Xnormal_Baking_Settings_01.jpg

4. Xnormal Normal Map Options.

TestCube_Xnormal_Normal_Settings_01.jpg

5. Xnormal Ray Tools.

TestCube_Xnormal_Rays_01.jpg

6. Xnormal AO Settings.

TestCube_Xnormal_AO_Settings_01.jpg

7. My cage in Xnormal.

TestCube_Xnormal_Cage_01.jpg

8. Simple UDK Material.

TestCube_UDK_Mat_01.jpg
  • emckenney
    Offline / Send Message
    My goal is to get a clean bake for the normal map with few extra gradients, little projection distortion and smooth edges.

Something close to example "G", but with the edges in examples "E" or "F" would work just fine.

Here are my results being displayed in UDK with their uv's and a small description of the method used. In the top left you can see the HP and LP models used.

Let me know if there is any confusion in the text.

BakeResultsInUDK.jpg
  • emckenney
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are the Normal Maps to go along with the examples.

TestCube_Normal_Map_Bakes.jpg
  • emckenney
    Offline / Send Message
    And last but not least, a couple of the better AO bakes so far.

1. Xnormal using harden edges on the LP settings.

TestCube_Xnormal_AO_01.jpg

2. nDo2 from the harden edges normal map bake (example G.)

TestCube_AO_nDo2.jpg
  • emckenney
    Offline / Send Message
    Today I tried baking out in object space and converting them to tangent space in Handplane. Here are the results in UDK. Still not there, but getting close.

TestCube_HandplaneAndCage_01.jpg
  • Nosslak
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    If you want perfectly straight projections you'll have to add some extra geometry along the edges. You can either bevel the edges and bend the normals or you can just add some support loops along the edges as you'd do with a subd model. It'll be more expensive but I don't think there's any way around it.
  • emckenney
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak - Thanks for the response. I was hoping to avoid the extra geo if I could. You are probably right, that there isn't a way around it.

Was really hoping to find the sweet spot in the settings to combine the nice even projections of the custom cage from Max with the smooth corners from the Xnormal cage's bake.

Next round I will do a test with the cuts you recommended. Thanks again.
  • DHogan
    Hey Erik, as you know I've been doing the same sort of portfolio update and tests, so I thought I'd ask a related question to add to the thread.

I'm working with some square assets as well, and added in the extra loops to try and get a better bake, which did help tons.

What I started testing this morning was using the normal maps on the original low poly mesh without the extra loops. I don't see any distortion from doing this, so maybe you can try the same approach with this test object?
  • DHogan
    One more thing - do you think that doing tests with assets that are super flat surfaces (cubic, really) is maybe tackling the worst case scenario as noobs?
  • Nosslak
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    DHogan wrote: »
    Hey Erik, as you know I've been doing the same sort of portfolio update and tests, so I thought I'd ask a related question to add to the thread.

I'm working with some square assets as well, and added in the extra loops to try and get a better bake, which did help tons.

What I started testing this morning was using the normal maps on the original low poly mesh without the extra loops. I don't see any distortion from doing this, so maybe you can try the same approach with this test object?
    That will only really work well if you bake out the normalmap in object space and then re-bake it to the the lower poly mesh with Handplane. I've had to do this a few times for some hard-surface assets to get them to look good, but to be honest it's not a great workflow as you may need to re-add the extra support loops if you change anything on the lowest poly mesh. So in my opinion it is always more preferable to keep the extra loops. Besides if you keep the extra loops you will get "flatter" normalmaps (less gradients) which will then compress better and will hide any tangent mismatching problems better as well.
    One more thing - do you think that doing tests with assets that are super flat surfaces (cubic, really) is maybe tackling the worst case scenario as noobs?
    If you learn how to do it for the worst case scenarios you will have no problem to adapt it to easier problems.
  • emckenney
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak wrote: »
    If you learn how to do it for the worst case scenarios you will have no problem to adapt it to easier problems.

That was my hope, to nail down a process for the 90 degree edges that have given me baking errors for a while now.

Why is it always the parts that appear the simplest end up being the ones that take the most time? :\

Thanks again Nosslak.
  • emckenney
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I finally got a bake that doesn't require much if any touch up in photoshop. I decided to work on an asset for the current scene I'm working on and I'm very happy with the results. Hopefully the AO bake will go as well.

Here were the steps I used for this test:

1. Exported base mesh in Max w/ Zbrush settings option for the .obj exporter.
    2. Scuplted HP in Zbrush and exported .obj
    3. Reduced down to sub division level 3 and exported another .obj to use for ref in Max.
    4. Imported ref .obj and froze it.
    5. Adjusted LP mesh and added extra edge loops to solve baking errors and closer match the shape of the HP in game. Used Tex Tools to set Smoothing Groups to UV shells.
    6. Exported new LP as an .obj w/ Maya settings for Xnormal and a second as an .ase for UDK.
    7. Used the 3D Viewer in Xnormal to adjust the cage and saved it out as a .sbm file.
    8. Imported the .sbm to replace my .obj in the LP slot in Xnormal and checked use cage.
    9. Baked the normals as Object Space w/ -Y.
    10. Converted the Normal Map to Tangent Space w/ Handplane.
    11. Tested in UDK

TMNT_Lair_WIP_051.jpg
  • DHogan
    That's a nice bake, Erik. I'm going to try and get far enough this week to start testing assets in UDK as well.

Could you post your UV layout?
  • DHogan
    I thought I'd go ahead and post the results I have so far. I went ahead and tried the two stage bake just to educate myself, but I'm going to push on with a low poly that doesn't require an extra reduction at the end. (This bake is so simple that I do think it would be a mistake to declare it a success.)

Render, left to right - high poly, low poly with extra loops, original low poly.
    BAKE_test_01_render.jpg

Wireframe overlaid on render.
    BAKE_test_01_lowpolys.jpg

Wireframe.
    BAKE_test_01_wires.jpg

Plenty more to do, time to get back to it.
  • emckenney
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Don, I updated the image in post #14 to include the UV's, Normal Map and the first pass on the diffuse. Hope that helps.

Looks like your bakes are coming right along as well. Looking pretty clean, not seeing any projection distortion or edge seams on there.

I would be curious to see how the panels would turn out using nDo2. Might be a cool experiment if you have time. Here is a tutorial that demonstrates the hard surface maps you can generate in PS with nDo2.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwj0mQTMrK8"]nDo2 workflows #1: Creating hard-surface designs - YouTube[/ame]
  • DHogan
    emckenney wrote: »
    Hey Don, I updated the image in post #14 to include the UV's, Normal Map and the first pass on the diffuse. Hope that helps.

Looks like your bakes are coming right along as well. Looking pretty clean, not seeing any projection distortion or edge seams on there.

I would be curious to see how the panels would turn out using nDo2. Might be a cool experiment if you have time. Here is a tutorial that demonstrates the hard surface maps you can generate in PS with nDo2.

nDo2 workflows #1: Creating hard-surface designs - YouTube

Thanks for uploading those, Erik, I have to admit that's not what I expected to see. I think I've been too literal with the 'hard edge = UV split' guideline from another thread. Your bake looks great from that layout. :thumbup:

I've been resisting digging into nDo2 and dDo until I think I've got a handle on the basic geometry-based pipeline. A lot of things are coming back to me, and a lot more questions are coming up this time around. Actually, one thought today was that my basic pieces are so simple I should just do a common sheet from a simple tiling plane and then map it to the modules. zBrush or more high poly detail is just overkill in some ways. *shrug* I may try it as part of the learning process.

I'll definitely watch that video, though - got to keep packing the knowledge in!