Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Landscape : In the Mountain

Foxhead
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Foxhead polycounter lvl 5
This work has been working in the past year

I was trying to express the feeling of an Oriental :)

Please, I want your advice of this waok :)

field01.jpg

field03.jpg

field05.jpg

field04.jpg

Replies

• Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    looks really nice! mind showing some renders of more close ups to buildings?
  • Lloydyy89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, looks great. Please post some close ups! :D
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    First, I want to say that the assets look very nice. It's also apparent that you put in a great deal of time and effort on this. :)

But, I feel like I'm getting lost trying to see everything as a composition. I believe it may have something to do with the values being too similar? For example, on the 2nd pic, the tree in the middle, against the rock, is a little too difficult to make out than it should be. It's almost like the tree and the rock are blending in together.

You can check out Jeff Parrot's blog. He explains it much better.

http://blog.environmentartist.com/?p=1127

Cheers.
  • Fnitrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fnitrox polycounter lvl 6
    Well, first of all, congrants on getting done on something of this scale! I'm trying my hands at something similar and i know it can get overwhelming.

Then some minor crits:
    - As Tobbo said the values are overall a little to omogenous making it somewhat hard to read.
    Making it even harder it's the noise that seems to be over every texture, do you mind showing flats? (particularly of the buildings and the rocks)
    It's fine to have variation in a texture but i think this is a bit too much, and some of it doesn't really make much sense.

- The lamps, how are they so bright in such daylight? i think they shouldn't even be lit in plain day :D and if realy you want to have them at least give them some variation in values.
    See this example and how much "redder" they are and with a bright spot only in the middle... It might be somewhat difficult to make something like this but it's worth a try imho

- It could use a little more fog or clouds separating the front-middle-back planes for making the composition a little better

hope it helps and i don't sound like a harsh bitch :D
  • locater16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16 polycounter lvl 8
    Tobbo wrote: »
    But, I feel like I'm getting lost trying to see everything as a composition. I believe it may have something to do with the values being too similar? For example, on the 2nd pic, the tree in the middle, against the rock, is a little too difficult to make out than it should be. It's almost like the tree and the rock are blending in together.

What he's trying to say is that, ideally, your textures and lighting would be highly distinguishable even if your art was in black and white, and as you can see

tzh5Uzt.jpg

The middle, the tree in front of the large rock, kind of blend into each other. Still its pretty good overall. Also, while yes those would be some really bright lights, I say whatever! They look great, why are they so bright? Magic. :)
  • batami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You have done great work. I like that lighting and house.
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    nice lighting! great scene