Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Demon

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys, I'm not a character artist but I thought it would be fun to do one. I'd really like to get more intimate with zbrush so I'm going to make a demonic badass guy.

Painting a concept the other day and started modeling from it, but I decided to take it in a whole new fresh direction. Something hulking and heavier.

do_you_ever____by_julionicoletti-d6jr4da.png

So here's where I'm as so far.
xcadcasc_by_julionicoletti-d6k0qv6.png

I want to get a good blockin before zbrushing.

I'd love some advice and critique on the design and stuff!

Tomorrow I'll sketch out some head designs, or I'll just pick one of the ones I've already done: http://julionicoletti.deviantart.com/gallery/44406196

Thanks!

PS: also I'm hoping to learn more about anatomy by doing this. Got me some Burne Hogarth at the ready. So chaotic...but still believable anatomy.

Replies

• BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Looks cool man. From a design standpoint I think he needs more in order to make him more interesting. I think adding some armor to him would go a long way. I suggest giving him one large shoulder pad on his right shoulder (opposite of that tentacle arm) to help balance him out more.
    Looks good so far, keep at it!
  • Selaznog
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice! Instead of armour I was thinking of just some big epic antlers or something, but I do like the armour idea. I think I'll sketch out some designs.

Here are some head designs I was playing with:
    a_bunch_of_jerks_by_julionicoletti-d6k53dy.png
  • Clark Coots
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    coool, really like your line quality in your head design sketches. designs look cool, don't know which i like the best.
  • Dan!
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    looks awesome- I agree about adding something to balance him out-maybe not armor though but more of that lava growth would be cool.
  • Selaznog
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! I've been having a tough time deciding what kind of addition I should give him for material breakup. I like the armour idea, but I think I'd want to do something a bit wackier. What about he's part cyborg, and instead of a lava arm he's got like this massive 20 barrel shotgun?

Anywho here's some slow and steady progress...
    ouyuio_by_julionicoletti-d6kf120.png
  • Di$array
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    The shape and shilouette of this piece is awesome selaznog and I'm all in favor of dropping the eyes, especially when you look at the close up shot above. I think it may look all the more alien and terrifying.

Reading your dilemma above, I would personally go for the lava arm or something that leads down that route rather then adopting our world equipment or technology.
  • Selaznog
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Di$array! Yah I think I'll just give him a generic lava sword for now and maybe switch things up later if I feel like it.

Here's a muscle blockin in zbrush so far. The legs are hard :(
    sefsdrgsdrg_by_julionicoletti-d6kove9.png
  • solar
    Offline / Send Message
    solar polycounter lvl 18
    Hey this is looking cool love the concept and blockout so far! With the lower leg its probably worth having a look at some animal ref. To me it seems like your calf muscle is throwing everything else off. The bottom should sort itself out after you get that area working. This is human ref but should still be handy - link
  • Selaznog
    Offline / Send Message
    Solar, thanks for that side! Holy moly that's way better than Google image search haha. I made some modifications to his feet:

1167135_10201781163429153_609195295_o.jpg

Basically his feet have these like organic smoke stacks (same as elbows)
  • Di$array
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Oh man with some FX it'll look amazing.

The smoke stacks is such an unique idea and really pushes the intimidation. I've only got one tiny suggestion, and that's to make the foot wider to create a blocky lower leg and maybe inturn give it an unmoveable feel.... plus it'll have lava oozing and smoke poring out of it.
  • mariomanzanares
    Offline / Send Message
    mariomanzanares polycounter lvl 5
    Nice project. I'm working on something similar but more cartoony. So I'll put an eye on this thread since you look more experienced than me :)
  • Rico
    The bicep to pec connection seems a bit weird to me.

Looking freaking awesome though!
  • Selaznog
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! Fixed up the pec/bicep [non]connection and reinvented the silloette. I think it's looking way better now with a much clearer roll in battle. I love imagining this charging into battle on all fours.

demon05_by_julionicoletti-d6lk0a7.png

Next step will be adding some armoured skin to the forearms and more spikey bits for maximum squish potential.
  • Selaznog
    Offline / Send Message
    Not related at all but I made this this weekend so I thought I'd try getting some feedback. It's for a friend who's working on a Quake/Doom3 style shooter.

I've been sculpting on the demon here and there but not enough for an update. Stay tuned though!

flying_demon_head_by_julionicoletti-d6mgmh8.png
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    looking cool man. Just thought this guys skin might be good reference for you...

rabagh_full.jpg
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    This is turning out really great, funny BradMyers82 linked that pic, it was one if the first things I was thinking of when i saw the demon :)
  • Selaznog
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reference, exactly what I was looking for!