Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Unity] Forest treehouse environment

Hi all! I have started work in the last little while on a new personal project. My goal is to make a cool treehouse in Unity that can be walked around in, surrounded by a forest environment. The setting is meant to be modern day, but low tech. Kind of like a hippie's house in the woods with lots of cool furniture and small objects. Here's some of the reference I'm using to give you an idea:
post1_1.jpg

For texturing I'm trying to do a hand painted style, but with a little more detail than I usually do for hand painting. As usual for me, I'm going for strong, highly saturated colours. For the lighting in Unity, I'm going to experiment around with some different solutions. I want to be able to use light to give the forest some depth and add atmosphere. Anyway, here's a look at the first attempts I did on texturing some pieces:
post1_2.jpg
post1_3.jpg

I've also started blocking a few ideas out to try and decide what kind of modular pieces I'm going to need:
tree1.jpg
tree3.jpg

I'm working on this with little bits of free time I have during the week, so progress is likely to be a pretty slow, but I'm keen to get some feedback and push this environment as far as I can since I'm just doing it as a purely personal work. :)

Replies

• 3DVlad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great Idea, and nice start. Bark texture looks a bit too white to me at the moment, i think the white should be coming from the spec and not the diffuse. Is it going to be diffuse only or will you be adding spec/normal as well?
  • StephLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephLee polycounter lvl 12
    This is really cool! I can't wait to see more :)
  • garmee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @3DVlad - I'm probably going to be using spec in the scene, but I'm not sure about normal mapping. Might look into a TF2-style approach where it's used in a kind of limited way just for adding details. Going to have to figure that out when I start messing with lighting.
  • lukepham101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lukepham101 polycounter lvl 7
    Good start man! Awesome hand painting skills, really great! I reckon you might be jumping the gun a bit and getting into the texturing a little early, it'd be worth your time to get some base colours in and get your composition right before you make all these awesome textures that looks great individually but when put together it doesn't really work. Also I feel painting in the moss into each individual plank looks individually but I'm not sure if it works on a modular environment scale. Maybe you should make a tiling wood texture and a tiling moss texture and use vertex painting to blend those two together. Keep up the good work though! :D
  • garmee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update so you know I'm not dead! Like I said, I don't have tons of time to work on this but I am chipping away at it. I did a couple of sketches of ideas for the buildings themselves, and started blocking one out in 3D.

post2_1.jpg
    post2_2.jpg

I plan to get a lot of ivy/leaves/vegetation growing around to help cover the weird intersection points of the constructed elements and the natural trees. Stay tuned!
  • garmee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A bit more progress on this, testing out some foliage cover on the tree trunks. Not happy with the texture/shader yet, but really I'm still experimenting with colours and shapes still, taking it slow :)

post3_1.png

I'm working on building a tool for Unity to let me create trees in this style from splines in-editor, which is going to save a ton of time down the road when I start making intertwining trunks and roots that weave in and out of the modular pieces that I'll be assembling in-editor. More on that later!
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Progressing really nicely. I love your texture work and concept style.

That tool sounds like a great idea.

I'm hoping to take on my first Unity project soon. I'll be focusing on hand painted texture work. This project has made me even more eager to start it.

All the best!
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NomadSoul2501 polycounter lvl 10
    This looks great!
    Have you looked into unity's built in tree creator?
    You can draw you own splines with it too.
    Don't know if you can have foliage growing off of it like you're doing here though.
  • garmee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks great!
    Have you looked into unity's built in tree creator?
    You can draw you own splines with it too.
    Don't know if you can have foliage growing off of it like you're doing here though.

I did check out Unity's tree creator. It's kind of neat, but I decided to write my own system anyway just so I could customize it a lot more easily. For this scene I want to do a certain kind of tree with a certain foliage setup, so I wanted something that could do that specific task well :)

So this screenshot might not look like it's any different than the last one, but the trees you see now are created in editor using my new script, they're not made in maya. The trunk is an extruded cylinder along a spline, and the foliage is 2 premade models (a flat horizontal chunk of leaves and an upright quad for the sides of the trunk) that get randomly placed along the trunk spline. You can see all the settings I built into the script to allow customizing the trees in the editor.

post4_1.jpg

post4_2.jpg

Done with the tree system for now, time to work on some more actual models to populate the area with and keep the overall scene moving forward!