Home General Discussion

Life after graduation...

I'm here today to ask all of the artists/animators/everyone on Polycount about life after graduation from college in your chosen field. I'm about to enter into my last year of a great 3D college program, but honestly? I'm freaking out! I mean, I have one teacher who always tells us how FEW of us will be successful in our fields (three per class, he tells us, out of 20).
How I see it is this: after high school, you have college, for sure (or, for sure for me). But after college, now what? What was it like for you? were you at the top of your class, and get an insta-job? Or did you wait? or freelance? I have no idea. It kind of feels like the world might explode after college, right now.
BTW: If you see any major typos in this post, it's because I'm writing it in the dark, on my iPad, without my glasses.

Replies

• low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    If you can afford it..take a break...purge..relax...enjoy your accomplishment..for a month or two...Then hit the ground running with making your portfolio a polished bomb of employability. In the land of the art-dev jungle, Portfolio is king
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    I don't know what your overall situation is but I'll tell you my story about post graduation.

May 2011...
    I graduate from Academy of Art University... before that I had had an interview for an "internship" with a game company, it didn't pan out.

So, I went home to my parents' house... at home I applied to every job opening I could find... and worked at least 8 hours a day on portfolio pieces...

In July, I got an Art Test from the Gameloft recruiter I had directly emailed and tracked down on Linkedin. My test went very good, and I recieved positive feedback in a few days. And things moved forward. I had 2 phone interviews, then waited two weeks and then was flown out for an in studio interview. Then the next week I was given the offer. That was almost exactly 2 years ago this week. I then relocated at the end of October after my immigration paper work came through. And, I've been here since.

So, it was several months between graduation and starting my job. Don't give up, work you butt off, and most of all don't give up. And make sure you ask for feedback from Polycount.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    @LMP that's quite inspiring!

Well here's my story...

I took a one year Game Art and Design course at Vanarts. After my year was up, I worked on my portfolio but didn't really apply to many jobs (where could I apply to? Haha). Anyways I applied and got hired back at the electronics store I had been working at for 5 years prior to school.

A few months after grad, I started filling in for shifts as a TA at the school. I had the opportunity to demo nDo to a class and I guess my teacher liked my style so I got hired as an instructor for a couple Photoshop courses.

Fast forward six months...and almost exactly one year later I applied to a craigslist ad and got hired at a small mobile studio full time. It's been a lot of fun so far and totally worth the wait.

I think a lot of people sort of give up on this industry after they see no one is getting jobs, but I gotta say it's worth it to keep pushing and working on your folio.

Just got off my last shift today at London Drugs and I gotta say it feels great to chase your dreams!

Do you have any work you can show us? Portfolio? Blog?
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I know more people who did some freelancing, working on their folio after graduation than people who got hired right away by a bigger studio. And for many that's the toughest time, when you wonder why the heck you studied, if it was all for nothing and where you really have to hang in there.
    From my own experience it was tough. But then I went to a Maya masterclass once and there was this masterclass teacher from Weta who was like "yeah, I've been without a job for almost a year when Weta suddenly called me...". So there's hope. Some people are lucky right away, others have to wait a bit. Just don't give up!
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    At uni, there's working on your folio and then there's working on your folio, really doing the hard graft. When you realize how much competition there is and you feel like you might have to go back to shelf stacking or bar work, it can be a massive slap in the face! I would say start improving your stuff now so you're ready after graduation - a lot of students get the idea that they're just going to walk into a job after uni because of a piece of paper, most studios just want to see you can do the work.

If you have enough time, I would even try to do some small freelance gigs on the side to rack up some experience, prop work, etc. there's a lot of that around :) Just be honest with yourself and ask 'Is this what I really want to do', and if the answer is yes you need to dedicate yourself to it. Its actually good that you have that fear, as its really tough to land a first job and that'll push you to try even harder to find something. Again, be honest with yourself about the time you're putting in - a lot of people say they're working hard but end up clocking 8-10 hours on WoW a day and then wonder why they're not being hired :D

Try be more efficient with the time you're putting in, e.g. get rid of distractions like Facebook, etc. as they just chew up your time. You can even check out the Pomodoro technique for good time management, I found it helped loads: http://www.pomodorotechnique.com/

Again like others have said here, good luck and keep us posted!
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    Just wanted to chime in and backup Torches Pomodorotechnique it's great for me when I notice I'm not putting in solid amounts of time. Another is doing some sort of fitness to get the blood circulating really helps you into the groove.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    About that 3 out of 20 thing, that is partially true. There may only be 3 really good people out of 20, and chances are small you are one of those, but those are the guys going to the big companies. There are good jobs for good people but you cannot forget that there are mediocre jobs for mediocre people.

Still you have to reach a certain standard and you should push as hard as you can.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    mediocre jobs for mediocre people sounds a bit harsh. Just because you're not working for Blizzard doesn't necessarily mean you're a bad artist. Far from it. There's different needs for different projects and companies. And who's to say that you won't be as happy at a small developer over at a big one? No matter the developer, there's always the chance that you'll love the place, that you'll meet exciting challenges, talented people (and the same goes for crunch, mismanagement and chaos).
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    My schedule after graduating involved a lot of crying.
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    I graduated into the deepest Chilean mine shaft depths of the "global economic downturn" so my only advice is to not do that.
  • Silverrosess
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, guys! These were all great. Except for the crying thing. And I get where, LRoy's coming from with the crying thing. Thatt'll probbaly me me. So far, I feel a lot better. And actually, Kwarmm, I see what you mean. I'd personally be very happy working in a smaller studio, I don't need Pixar or Disney. Not right away, anyways.
    Ah! I feel better.
    Thanks so much <3

PS: I plan on uploading some things for critique here soon, but right now... I just don't like anything of mine enough to do that with right now.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    * Currently at the crying stage, though working on portfolio at the same time

You'll also want to re-do most portfolio pieces as you will realise how much better you can do.
  • rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    I went to School Of Visual Arts at NYC. Ill tell the story of a close friend of mine since he entered school with very little knowledge of 3D but a good traditional art background.

Chris entered SVA with a great traditional portfolio that he worked on tirelessly in his high school years before I even met him. When he was at SVA I instantly knew he would be successful in this field, he was driven hard working and did not use school material as his portfolio work he was always making his own work on the side. We worked on our thesis project together for 2 years. Chris and I were getting internships 2 years before even exiting school. This only happened from sheer hard work. A lot of people in school would party all night and have little to show for work. Partying is good but do not let that overwhelm you. So when the time came we were semi prepared for what was to come.

Finally we hit the end of college we had our drinks an laughs and than reality sunk in. We needed stable jobs. In our school we were considered the top students but out in the industry we were just as good as most internship people. So we took internships which later turned into freelance than later... like a year or so turned into full time jobs.

So I think in general resting and taking a break is bad. I had other friends who after being tired to death due to thesis and college work decided to take a couple of months off. I can pretty much say that was a horrible idea, most of those had horrible experiences later on and could not even get internships or freelance. Come out of college running and you will do well imo. Do not expect a full time gig handed to you on a silver platter. Expect internships and freelance or even full time jobs that you do not like 100% to get to that goal you want later down the line.

The biggest mistakes I see from post grads is star eyed students dreaming of working in top companies right from the get go. This is mostly wrong. Chris my friend landed a job at Pixar for his first official full time job. Now he works at Bluesky as a TD. A lot of ex SVA grads see Chris and I as possible goals or the end goal to studies in SVA, people actually use or work to show new student that they too can go to Pixar or ND... And yes you can but the amount of real life fun we had to sacrifice to get to those places was hard, but at the end so worth it.

Grads out of our year in SVA I would say 60%-70% are happy with the jobs they have found I would say the 2/20 ratio is very doom type of mentality, but better to be pessimistic than positive. Work hard get freelance or internships going... work harder than anyone else around you, put your head down and you will be rewarded.

Though it is true right out of college I would only say a few handful had great or considered great jobs at the time. It took the rest of the 70% a few months or a year or more to find a good gig. Even the same year Grads that I thought would never find gigs have found some... They worked hard after school... reality struck them hard! Most people will start to work harder when you have to pay bills ;) That is really what Chris and I tried to avoid... Late payments lol...

My short story.. I worked a Epic Game contract LD for 1 yr and after Unreal Tournament 2004 was done I decided to go to college for 3D arts in SVA instead of going to be an Envio Artist at UBI soft on a splinter cell project. Gave myself time to build my portfolio, exited college with top ranking and even than I still had to do internships and freelance in till I finally got a gig full time at Crystal Dynamics and now Naughty Dog. I did exit college when the economy was going in down hill spiral...

My Wife Sharlene Lin graduated also with top honors it took her around 2-3 years to finally get the gig she really loved at some VFX movie studios here in Cali. She has done movies such as Avengers and Looper.

So with hard work and really putting your head down will come big rewards. The people who really succeed are the ones that do this. Talent has very little to do with getting these jobs. Since I can argue that many of the 3D artists I know are not amazingly artistically inclined people, but are amazingly technical.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    You should read though this thread:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89972

Lots of the sort of stories you're looking for. If you read all of them, you should start to be able to draw some conclusions about how to be proactive in taking control over your future. Learn from others' mistakes and successes.

I was looking for that...and I though it was stickied :(
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    I don't really have an interesting graduation story as I went from being an intern to being employed but about companies size and fame have anything to do with what artist they employ, is not really true, of course bigger companies will have a lot of more freedom of choice as more people wants to go there.

but, it's not like everything is better at bigger developers, some big developers are bad and some small are bad, as for myself I have gone from big to small, especially since the bigger companies in japan gives the smallest wages, because they know they can find someone that accepts those terms.

Also to be honest I'm working with the most skilled character artists I have ever worked with
    so not all skilled people choose the biggest companies.
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    I myself have recently graduated from a BSc (Hons) Games Design Degree. I wasn't "the balls" of the year, but I was probably in the top 5-10 out of say 80-90. I had alot of people asking for my help from things I wasn't taught but learnt on my own back through research and places like the Polycount Wiki. For my final project, rather then focus on my passion for 3D and dedicate it towards my portfolio (which is what I should have done) I needed a programmer in my group and taught myself to program in C# for Unity. On my last day, my lecturer said I had huge potential if I continued to develop as I did and he expected to see me in industry in the next year IF I worked on my portfolio... He gave me alone (out of about 80 people) an individual recommendation on LinkedIn and has stayed in touch, asking if I can give guest lectures next semester. :)

Anyway, 5 days later I heard back from a CGI studio I had applied for with my final project work. They hired me as a 3D artist and been here for 3 months now. Whilst its not games, and it's not particularly what I enjoy doing due to the lack of creative input I have; its a job and its 3D related. All I have to do now is work on my portfolio and then when I do apply for a games related role; Ill have ticked all the boxes, "education, experience in a studio and a portfolio".

" Fingers crossed ".

Oh and just to add to that; I'm one of 2 who managed a 3D related role... 1 guy got a programming role at a tech company, another got an internship for an augmented reality project. The rest - didn't make contacts, connections or generally not bother; and those who did, did too late.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Life after graduation = Debt :-)
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    1185155_443562762424030_349985189_n.jpg

Get a temporary job, earn some money, build that portfolio - if you thought the final year of college was hard work, you've still got harder work to come (and noone to hold your hand whilst you're doing it). If you work hard on your skills and demonstrate it, keep your eye open for vacancies, because something will come along.

In this country there are around 1-1500 graduates with a game orientated qualification coming out of higher education every year, however there are only 8000 people employed in the games industry here total and the majority of those will not be recent graduates.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    my experience was pretty different from most other people i graduated with. i think i was the only one of 7 people to land a job in games. the way our graduation worked is we had our portfolio presentation (some formal thing where we go to a theatre and show our portfolios to the department). About a week or so before that presentation date i had applied to Blizzard just on a whim.. why not, you know. Got myself a phone interview with them the day of the presentation so i was pretty hyped the entire day. Unfortunately it didnt work out but i didnt let it get to me because i hadnt really even expected to hear back in the first place.

After my graduation i took a small family vacation for about a week or so and on the drive going home i got an email from a local studio asking me if i wanted to work for them as a contract artist. now the only reason i think they reached out to me is because one of the former artists (who became a manager) had graduated from the same school as me, and he kept tabs on the graduates each quarter. so it was something i hadnt really expected but within two days i was there and i started working.

that all worked out for me so i was really happy to have gotten a job so quickly, but i knew it was a contract so i was looking for other fulltime jobs elsewhere. it took about a year of doing interviews, art tests, and partially working my contract job and some freelance on the side to finally land myself somewhere where i feel comfortably stable.
  • Voxelox
  • Tadao215
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tadao215 polycounter lvl 13
    Some really inspiring stories and good lessons in here!
    After graduating I worked in games for a short period of time before moving out to LA.
    Currently I am freelancing and most of the work I get is for commercials. The work is pretty consistent and it pays well.. but I think my heart is still set on games. In the meantime, I plan to keep saving money and buy more time to work on my personal things before going out there and applying again.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    I've worked on my portfolio since i I graduated 2 years ago, i still try but still not job. I think my time is out and may need to realize I wont make it and take a different career path
  • Tadao215
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tadao215 polycounter lvl 13
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    Comes down to hard work honestly. I busted my ass off the last year of school because I knew only a handful in my class would get jobs. I ended up landing an associate position at THQ in SanDiego a few weeks before I graduated. Was layed off a year later. Busted my ass off again on the old portfolio. Got picked up at Raven and have been here ever since.

My advise is to not take a break. Someone wants that job more then you and is working harder to get it. Its up to you to put in the hard work.

If you want it bad enough you will get it.

Good luck!
  • imyj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imyj polycounter lvl 8
    Echoing what has been said.

I graduated around 3 years ago. Getting to where I am career-wise has only really been possible since I wanted it so bad. I sucked at school and every other subject, so it very much became an 'all or nothing' situation. Don't feel had about doing temp work -you'll make it there eventually if its what you want.

My advice is to surround yourself with crazily talented people (like on here), or even just follow the artwork. It is important to realize what the standard is and push yourself to get yourself on the path to that level. Too many people value themselves incorrectly.

Oh and if you ever land an interview, put in the extra effort and create extra work tailored specifically to that company and surprise them with it, it's pretty much a guarantee that you'll be considered over the other person. Passion and enthusiasm count for so much in this industry.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    I graduated a little over a year ago and have yet to land a job yet. All I can tell ya is you will work a crappy job(cashier here) and bust your ass on your portfolio until it happens. That's my plan.

Just have to be willing to work hard and wait it out. I don't really like being 23, living with my parents and working a retail job but it's what you have to do to work on your portfolio and get the job you really want.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    If you find yourself in a situation where everybody you know around you gets hired and you feel like you're left behind you need to start asking yourself why and what you can do in order to make it better.

Usually it's portfolio issues, the portfolio is a door into the gaming industry. However the door needs to be pretty enough for people to want to take a look inside.

If you're finding yourself spending all your time on the portfolio and still not getting anywhere then you need to really analyze your portfolio and your networking skills. You can know all the tools of the industry, know the workflow and pipeline of the most popular engines and you still feel like you're behind you need to look at your art and ask yourself if you think it's just as good as the rest of them or worse.

Better yet, ask yourself why you feel that it's worse. What are you missing that the rest of the guys out there hits? Maybe your model is good but texturing is lacking, maybe it's the other way around, maybe it's the way you present your models. Bad lighting could make even a good model look bad. Maybe your foundation isn't solid enough, maybe you need to go through the basics of art and really apply them to your work. Color Theory, Composition, Unity etc etc.

Maybe you're just spending your time doing the wrong things? What do you want to do? If you want to make environments then maybe you might to become more efficient in your way of making props. Maybe you don't have to do the whole high-poly -> low-poly baking? No Zbrush etc, it adds a lot. You can probably figure out quicker ways to do things.

Add extra bevels? Learn to force your normals to make your low-polys look more high-poly? Adapt an nDo2 workflow. When making environments and buildings etc, when you get something in your scene quickly that you can play around with makes it easier and more rewarding.

Getting your head around Implied Detail in environments could be a game-changer, maybe you need to ask yourself how much you need to do to get the desired effect.

And ofcourse always try to learn more things, always try to become better. The really really bad side about being an artist is that you're constantly worrying about getting better and/or that others around you keep moving forward but you feel like you're standing still. It'll eat you up and you'll also find yourself thinking about it all the time sacrificing your life to it. And yes, you will need to do that. You will have to sacrifice something to gain something else.

It's always like that, but one also needs to make sure you don't wreck yourself, there has been plenty of times I've come close to wrecking my current way of living by constantly working hard and never taking it easy. So disciplined planning and execution. Portfolio work a couple of hours each day and not more or less, concentrated and focused work. No reddit, no lazy surfing on the web. Just effective portfolio work.

^

and all these things are things that I deal with myself every day and try to remind myself of everyday. Failing loads of times but you know.

I'm just human :)