Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Environment Demo Reel DX11] - Alden Filion

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
3dflasher polycounter lvl 17
As the portfolio update and job search continues, I have a new reel aimed at dx11 and next gen systems. My website is still being updated. I created these environments, concept, assembled, lit, animated...etc. Some assets like occasional pipes, wall supports, and or tiles were created by colleagues. I hope you guys like it :) Would love to hear input on it.

Click here to play the video
demo_reel_thumb.jpg

Sample images from the Reel
screen_af9.jpg

bunker.jpg

Replies

• pixelpatron
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    The interior environment area is by far my favorite. Really nice materials!
  • riot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riot polycounter lvl 11
    That interior from the first scenes is amazing! It reminds me of the UE4 infiltrator demo.
    The lighting and the materials are really good, love them. One question though, is all the lighting real-time or is it baked?
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    That's sick, Alden! Dude, that's light years ahead of that last sci fi piece you did ages ago with the mech spider (that was cool too - I'm not downplaying that). Sorry to hear you are looking for work, but I wouldn't worry about being out too long. Are these professional pieces from Spark?
  • gutty333
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amazing work man. Wish you the best with the job search. What game engine did you use to create the scenes?
  • 3dflasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!

Dave - Thanks man, I appreciate it. You know how it goes, you are never satisfied with your own work so I just see all the errors and the stuff to fix for the next pieces while constantly hating my work :) These shots are all things I worked on as I was rolling off of Lost Planet 3, so it's not really tied to any project at all but more for exercises and learning new tech. I'll post my lost planet reel at the end of the month when the game gets released. The environment team killed it on that game!

Riot - It's a combo of both baked and dynamics. Honestly with a little bit of elbow grease on optimizing, these scenes can run at 30fps on the comparable system cards of the new consoles. But as it stands, its just for showcase purposes :)
  • MooseCommander
    Uhhhh-maaaaaazing.

Just curious, what engine are you rendering these in? Looks like CE3 to me, but the sci-fi scene looks so much like the UE4 demos it hurts my head.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    this is sick dude! i love that first scifi environment
  • serriffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    serriffe polycounter lvl 9
    great demo reel- quite inspiring, my good sir :)
  • Lord Waffles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord Waffles polycounter lvl 10
    Looking great man!

I like the the first scenes setup, the shaders really break up the modularity (or at least keep you captivated by all the lights and shiny moving parts)
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    3dflasher wrote: »
    Thanks guys!

Dave - Thanks man, I appreciate it. You know how it goes, you are never satisfied with your own work so I just see all the errors and the stuff to fix for the next pieces while constantly hating my work :) These shots are all things I worked on as I was rolling off of Lost Planet 3, so it's not really tied to any project at all but more for exercises and learning new tech. I'll post my lost planet reel at the end of the month when the game gets released. The environment team killed it on that game!

Hah! Yeah, I'm definitely familiar with that process of doubting/hating my work. Well, it appears to be time well-used. Good luck, man!
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    dayum, no wonder i cant get a job lol
  • JamesArk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesArk polycounter lvl 10
    That is some beautiful stuff, going straight to the inspiration folder.
  • Shiskebab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiskebab polycounter lvl 16
    This is really nice, the sci-fi graphics are one of the best i have ever seen.
  • demilich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    demilich polycounter lvl 8
    this is awesome
  • RogelioD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
    "MONTHLY TRAFFIC EXCEEDED"

Please upload this to Youtube or Vimeo IMMEDIATELY. This was AWESOME.
  • 3dflasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow!! thx everyone! I'm glad you guys are digging it. I just upgraded my hosting plan because of the heavy traffic. It should be back up shortly.
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    The scifi scene looks great, any possibility of some more screenshots of that? (for the inspriration/cool stuff folder)
    Because I always tend to loose bookmarks, and it would probably better then taking screenshots from the movieclip, but if you can't/don't have time for it, no problem.

And a breakdown of the scene would be truly amazing, but I know that is asking for a lot, just throwing it out there in case you got really bored and looking for something to do ^^
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome video - i love the interior scene.
    Why you limiting yourself by doing a video instead of neat shots ?
    The video is loading very slow here - love to see some images, and breakdowns
    Good luck with your job hunt!
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Auldbenkenobi polycounter lvl 11
    That interior scene is sick!
  • RezNik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RezNik triangle
    Ok, totally just watched that three times. Awesome!
  • Ssjtroll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ssjtroll polycounter lvl 8
    Completely awesome! Good luck on the job hunt.
  • Yuke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yuke polycounter lvl 5
    Wow, absolutely love that Sci-Fi Environment! Planning on doing any breakdowns in the future? Amazing work :)
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    beautiful, what engine is this? frostbite?
  • RogelioD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
    I would also like to know what engine this is rendered in. Or is it rendered in an offline renderer?
  • 3dflasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx for yhe kind words everyone! It's all unreal dumped out of matinee.

Alphavader - thx for the compliments :), I have to disagree that vid is limiting though...it's almost the opposite. It's easier to get a feel for what a player is going to experience with a video, than with a still. Not too mention that you don't get an understanding for the specular play on the materials. Plus light and shadow stenciling across the scene and just overall visual frequency balance of object to detail ratio. The list can go on but it might just be my opinion :). End of the day whatever gets you the job is the best solution.
  • Baron Flame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baron Flame polycounter lvl 12
    Excellent work. I absolutely love it!
    I second the scene breakdown request as well.
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo polycounter lvl 11
    Superb! Would love to see lighting breakdown :)
  • Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amazing work man, really good stuff. I love that you really have put work into shaders and making everything feel cohesent, especially in the sci fi interiors, thats where it all really shines. If you ask me i think the sci fi scenes are so well done that the other stuff in your reel feels underdone when put in a direct sequence like this.
    Id love to see a breakdown if you get the time to!
    Btw that watersplash puddle from the dripping deserves more attention in the video, dat shader!

Also, i love the song, really fits!
  • LiquidSpacie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the video. Amazing work! It would be cool if you'd add normal map to the glass as you fly through it and when the distortion disappear, people will know they're outisde. If you get my point.
  • R00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R00 polycounter lvl 12
    Sci-Fi Environment is probably one of my favorite I've seen on this site. You've done a great job man
  • polyneutron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's pretty sick! You, sir, are doing amazing environments out there! Physically-based rendering at its finest!
  • lukepham101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lukepham101 polycounter lvl 7
    Your sci-fi environment is siiick man! Gotta love those dirty lens haha. I'd say your bunker scene isn't nearly as impressive as your Sci Fi scene though. It's mainly the composition which is making it look uninteresting, as opposed to the assets being bad. I'd say the same goes for the alien planet environment as well, there's a problem of composition again and a couple of assets that could be improved in terms of material definition and just looking better. If you spruced those up to the level of your Sci Fi environment, I think this reel would definitely be top tier. It really is that thing though you'll be judged on your worst piece as opposed to your best piece. If you want me to point out specifically what's wrong with the other 2 environments, let me know. :)
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    Wow... Amazing, leaves alot of us speechless ;D

What engine is this ?

I THIRD THE BREAKDOWN
  • 3dflasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks again for the feedback and kind words guys :) I don't know how much time I have to make an actual breakdown, but honestly its just modular building of the scenes used the crap out of good old dDo and nDo coupled with good comp and lighting...nothing crazy fancy at all. Composition and lighting go a long way. The swamp and the bunker were both for recent art test and took about a week a piece to make from scratch to finish. Those unfortunately don't look as good due to some parts technical limitations of the test (poly and texture limits) and or time constraints on them. The other ones all took about a week and a half a piece, so I got to put time into the actual assets for those...I also shared tons of modules between the engine room and the terminal.

Spitfire - Good call on the crit...your work is awesome, btw.
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks again for the feedback and kind words guys :) I don't know how much time I have to make an actual breakdown, but honestly its just modular building of the scenes used the crap out of good old dDo and nDo coupled with good comp and lighting...nothing crazy fancy at all. Composition and lighting go a long way. The swamp and the bunker were both for recent art test and took about a week a piece to make from scratch to finish. Those unfortunately don't look as good due to some parts technical limitations of the test (poly and texture limits) and or time constraints on them. The other ones all took about a week and a half a piece, so I got to put time into the actual assets for those...I also shared tons of modules between the engine room and the terminal.

Spitfire - Good call on the crit...your work is awesome, btw.

Was this rendered or in game engine? :\ Confused haha
  • 3dflasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's all unreal real time ...you can drop a player in and run around.
  • Money
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Money polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome work man. Could you throw in some screen shot of that other scifi scene too?
  • Ootrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ootrick polycounter lvl 6
    Quite nice! What's up with the camera shakes? not feeling that at all.
  • Wingednosering
    This is unreal? I'm absolutely shocked, I wouldn't expect it to handle that sci-fi scene's lighting that well.

As others have said, your natural environments really suffer next to your sci-fi interiors. This is unfortunate, because your outdoor scenes on their own aren't even remotely bad. You've just nailed the material shaders for sci-fi environments.

Incredibly impressed. I hope to one day reach this skill level, but it's a long way off.
  • StaticTheFox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's all unreal real time ...you can drop a player in and run around.

Unreal Engine 3 or 4? I'd be utterly shocked if it's UDK/UE3. :eek:
  • RezNik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RezNik triangle
    Can somebody give me an example of what DX11 is doing here... sadly I have no experience with it yet.... Now I have a reason to upgrade my video card, though I'll need to pass it through the CFO(wife).
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Amazing work man, it looks just as nice as the UE4 demo. Epic needs to hire you, like now.
  • RailbladerX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RailbladerX polycounter lvl 8
    Phenomenal work man! The lighting, layout, and materials are outstanding!

But I agree that the outside field scene is... "sub par"? You see the first two scenes and "the eyes just sparkle with ecstasy", but then droop when you get to the outside scene. I would either spruce it up a bit, or just remove it. The lighting, layout, nor models are bad its just I dunno... Just doesn't do anything other then bring you down you know? I wish I could be further help to you. :(
  • Gwenn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amazing work. I love the first two and last sequences, it's really nice work.
    What's the song by the way ? Love it too.
    Unreal Engine 3 or 4? I'd be utterly shocked if it's UDK/UE3. :eek:
    UDK is quite capable of doing that. Aside from some crashs with DX11, the inability to do dynamic lighting on a large scale, UDK has no particular limitations, the polycount can go in the million tris, you can write custom shaders and post processing, use very high res textures etc.
  • Lesswanted
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lesswanted polycounter lvl 8
    I do have a question, about the escond 50 to 60 or something like that you use some noise as dirt in the camera, how did you do it?

render to camera and specular?

Some postprocess and then a material?

Very nice video, keep up the good work!
  • CGIvan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saw the images and thought it looked pretty good. Then I saw the video... And I think we can all agree on that it looks rather smashing!

PS. If this is what we "will" be seeing in upcoming games the next couple of years. *Tears of joy*
  • Demokk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Demokk polycounter lvl 3
    Amazing work! I really liked the interior and the swamp one.
  • mobkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mobkon polycounter lvl 6
    That interior is a major inspiration. Really great work, I don't think I've been this impressed in a while especially if its real time UDK!
  • Javibcln
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Javibcln polycounter lvl 8
    I dont even know what to say, this is really great, a lot of inspiration coming to me right now... keep doing this things man you are doing it great.