polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
riot polycounter lvl 11
--LATEST WIP--

vikingisland01_by_skate54-d6wm8s9.png

vikingisland02_by_skate54-d6wm8y2.png

vikingisland04_by_skate54-d6wm98l.png

--END OF LATEST WIP--

In the last couple of days I've been starting this new project, where I'm trying to create a viking era island with some pine forests, mountains, a village, etc. I've been doing some vegetation first, just basic vegetation. Next steps are to do some X-Trees and fill the far-away zones with them, and then move on to modelling some rocks.

This is a very early WIP, many of the assets are just placeholders until I make my own. Basically, everything that is not vegetation/terrain are default freesdk assets.

Critiques are really appreciated, so don't be shy! :)

wip1_a_by_skate54-d6huk5h.png

wip1_b_by_skate54-d6hujz2.png

Replies

• JoshVanZuylen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshVanZuylen polycounter lvl 5
    Try not to put so much black in the textures. They are looking quite burnt in some areas. Also your human snail is buried in the sand.

Not bad for a couple of days
  • riot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riot polycounter lvl 11
    Worked a little bit more on this, tried to get rid of the extreme blacks as JoshVanZuylen suggested and added the far-away trees + some minor tweaks. I won't be able to work on this for the next weeks, but at least I have finished the first pass on vegetation.

wip2_a_by_skate54-d6i0ao9.png

wip2_b_by_skate54-d6i0avf.png
  • riot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riot polycounter lvl 11
    I could spend some time time on this the last days so I created and populated the scene with a few rocks. Still very WIP

wip3_a_by_skate54-d6mghqu.png

wip3_c_by_skate54-d6mghsv.png

wip3_b_by_skate54-d6mghrn.png

rock_a_by_skate54-d6mgpkf.png

rock_b_by_skate54-d6mgpl7.png
  • shakeyyjakeyy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks pretty good. Since a lot of the Viking Settlements were based along the North and Baltic sea, maybe you could add some snow, or make the weather seem more 'dull' (Give it a cold feel)?
  • riot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riot polycounter lvl 11
    Still working on this, next steps are to polish the road that goes up to the mountains and the terrain layers/ground vegetation overall, and then start working on the village.
    Good suggestion shakeyyjakey, I will try to add some snow on the mountains.

wip4_a_by_skate54-d6n5uqw.png

wip4_b_by_skate54-d6n5ura.png
  • Grusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grusti polycounter lvl 10
    aaaand saved your stone sculpture for reference)
  • janeil24kid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    janeil24kid polycounter lvl 6
    ohhhh wow looks amazing!
  • Sotojose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Absolutely love it! Beautiful work!
  • riot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riot polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks guys! I've just finished working on the houses for now, next step is to start creating details and to populate that little town. Critiques are much appreciated!

wip6_a_by_skate54-d6puhk2.png

wip6_b_by_skate54-d6puhli.png

wip6_c_by_skate54-d6puhmz.png
  • Samuel_Johnston
    Looking great! am impressed.
  • locater16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16 polycounter lvl 8
    Great start! Love the sheer density of the forest.
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    I would add some smaller younger trees on the outskirts of the forest to make it seem that the forest is still spreading. Currently it looks too managed.
  • riot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riot polycounter lvl 11
    Populating the little town with assets, and trying out some new colors:

wip7_a_by_skate54-d6qi5v5.png

wip7_d_by_skate54-d6qi69i.png

More images:

image1

image2

@Xendance: Good suggestion, I will add some smaller spruce trees near the village so it looks more natural.
  • jimba86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking great!

Can you give me some tips on how you did the houses? I am attempting to model my own but finding texture like what is on yours (What im after) is proving rather diffucult!

I am doing a similar style think in UDK,only a village and not a island.

Keep up the great work!
  • riot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riot polycounter lvl 11
    Sure, @jimba86.

For the houses the most important thing IMO is the planning.
    When you build the house, pay special attention on how you will be unwrapping it, so you can reuse some textures. For the enitre house I have 3x1024 textures, one for the main structure, one for the roof and one for misc things, like the alpha planes on the roof.
    All my textures are from cgtextures, and since they are quite flat I've used crayzbump for the normals. Generally you want to avoid noisy/too contrasty textures and pick the ones with interesting details/flat lighting.

Also, keep in mind that is not individual textures that make a great looking object, but how well all the textures work togheter and react to light. Being able to edit in-engine the textures brightness/color values is a great help to make all textures more consistent.

Here are the textures that I've used on the house, if you want to take a look: link.

As you can see, they are quite boring individually, but all toghter on the model+the normalmaps and some detail maps (which are also really helpful), reacting to light, they look nice.

Hope this helped!
  • locater16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The odd noise seems way overkill depending on the shot. It almost works well in the second but makes it look like you've got a rendering error in the first.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    locater16 wrote: »
    The odd noise seems way overkill depending on the shot. It almost works well in the second but makes it look like you've got a rendering error in the first.

I like it. I have a boner for noise.
  • Mr Smo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Smo polycounter lvl 18
    looking good, I did something similar to this a few years ago: http://www.mrsmo3d.com/midgard-udk.html

This will be really nice, good luck :)
  • dissonance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riot wrote: »
    wip7_a_by_skate54-d6qi5v5.png
    I'm new to CE, so I don't know all the ins and outs yet. How did you manage to to get both the near and far density of the forest up so high without killing the framerate?

Mr Smo wrote: »
    looking good, I did something similar to this a few years ago: http://www.mrsmo3d.com/midgard-udk.html
    You're an inspiration to many of us :D
  • riot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riot polycounter lvl 11
    @Mr Smo Nice work! Definitely gonna save some shots into the inspiration folder :) Love the boats, they look so awesome. The water looks really nice aswell. I can't get the water to look that good in cryengine no matter what I do. That's frustrating.

@dissonance I'm using X-Trees for the areas that are not near the village/main road. They are basically just two billboards with a 'complete tree' texture, placed liked this, viewed from above: +. I could further optimize the level by setting those X-Trees as a LOD for all the the trees, but I'm not paying much attention to the optimization right now since I'm still changing lots of things.
  • dissonance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @dissonance I'm using X-Trees for the areas that are not near the village/main road. They are basically just two billboards with a 'complete tree' texture, placed liked this, viewed from above: +. I could further optimize the level by setting those X-Trees as a LOD for all the the trees, but I'm not paying much attention to the optimization right now since I'm still changing lots of things.
    Ah-ha, okay. Thanks for the info!
    I was having a bit of trouble yesterday LoDing the stock trees that come with CE3; do I have to un-pak them to do it, or do I need to make my own meshes?
  • riot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riot polycounter lvl 11
    You're welcome :)! Well, I haven't messed with the default CE3 trees so I don't really know how they are set up, but if you want to create a custom X-Tree as a LOD for the default trees you will have to import them into your modelling app and then set the x-tree as a lod. Also try messing with the lodDistRatio from the vegetation tab, maybe you have it set too high.
  • dissonance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aye, I tried playing with that ratio, but the default trees are kinda poorly LoDded; from 0.2 to 32 there's about a 10fps and 0 drawcall difference.
    Well, time to make some trees!
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    cromatic aberation on zbrush renders and vintage filters on CE3 shots! what has this world come to?!

no srsly great scene dude.

could use some higher rez on the groundtextures and larger tiling. also some more layers.
    but its already looking great.
  • riot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riot polycounter lvl 11
    @goeddy oh god, what I have done?! xD

wip8_a_by_skate54-d6rgwqv.png

wip8_b_by_skate54-d6rgwt2.png

wip8_c_by_skate54-d6rgwvr.png

still messing with the colors, also added new fences and smaller trees near the village+some more work on the village.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Nice Riot, this is coming along great! Really digging the look and feel of these shots.

Just some random ideas for you; drift wood along the beach, large mushrooms might add some subtle fantasy characteristics to your scene.. if you want to take it that way. Birds circling around the sky, burning campfire..

Anyway, the scene is looking awesome, nice work! :)
  • serriffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    serriffe polycounter lvl 9
    I saw your scene a awhile back and been meaning to comment on it but I keep forgetting :D this is a very nice scene- I really like how you made that uphill road- very nice!
  • riot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riot polycounter lvl 11
    @brandoom thanks! really good suggestions, some fire would add some life to the village, and drift wood around the beach would make everything more natural. Birds flying around would really give a more natural feeeling tool. Going to add these to the todo list :)

@serriffe thanks! glad you like it! :)
  • Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cglewis polycounter lvl 12
    I think it definatly is looking really good!

I do think you could push the spec map of your rock alot more, i feel your loosing alot of detail from your hires zbrush sculp

Could you put up some images of close ups of the stuff you've made similar to what you did with the rock :)
    I feel I could give a better critque that way :)
  • riot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riot polycounter lvl 11
    since I haven't posted here in a long while, I'll just drop a few late WIP shots.
    the enviro isn't done yet, I still have to add some things, but it's approaching the end (finally xD)

wip9_a_by_skate54-d6vj5mu.png

wip9_c_by_skate54-d6vj5qj.png

wip9_b_by_skate54-d6vj5os.png

a story behind this is starting to shape-up too: this is a viking village after succesfully resisting an invasion by another viking tribe. The villagers are now burning the enemy's sails, banners, there are enemy shipwrecks on the beach etc.
    next thing I'm planning to add are shields on the boat and scattered around the village, maybe some weapons, etc
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    I think you could do more with the lighting to get some contrast and color in there. I grabbed this screenshot from your previous post because it was easier to manipulate.
    2ddp.jpg
    I bumped the contrast with a levels, added a hint of yellow to the light areas, and a lot of blue to the shadows.

Overall it is looking really nice dude! Good job.
  • instg8r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    instg8r polycounter lvl 8
    The pop that BARDLER added really adds a lot! For other suggestions, maybe they've got a pile of weapons that were collected from the attackers? Keep up the good work, man. Looks really nice.
  • riot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riot polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks everyone for their suggestions, you've been of great help!
    Thanks for your 'paintover' bardler, it looks really nice, but I'm trying to avoid using strong colors on this piece. :)

Anyway, I think I'm done with it. I've worked quite some time on this now, time to move to another thing. There's a more detailed explanation/images of this piece in my portfolio, if you're interested. Feedback is still welcome though.

vikingisland01_by_skate54-d6wm8s9.png

vikingisland02_by_skate54-d6wm8y2.png

vikingisland03_by_skate54-d6wm943.png

And some breakdowns:

boat#1
    boat#2
    tiling texture#1
    tiling texture#2

Finally, I also made a gif of the progress, to see the progression on this environment: gif
  • locater16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

The horizon and ocean don't meet right in this shot. Generally water, just like any other materials, becomes more reflective the sharper the viewing angle. And at the horizon here, with such calm water, the horizon and ocean should be blending into each other fairly well. Instead there's a sharp cutoff that looks weird.