Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand Painted Stone Part 2

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
metric meditation polycounter lvl 5
Part 2 of a hand painted texture. This time making a variation of cobblestone with grass. Everything is hand painted and no photo ref was used.

I have started both a Vimeo and A Youtube Channel

[vv]72072438[/vv]

http://vimeo.com/72072438

http://youtu.be/udMjSV6cFmE

Replies

• metric meditation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here is part 1

[vv]71605511[/vv]
  • metric meditation
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    While the stone texture is nice I'd say the coloring of the grass is a bit too vibrant and saturated in comparison to the rocks. I'd suggest toning down the general value of the grass and go easy on those cyan highlights.
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, I'd also say do, while i love the texture in generell, and it's really looking 3d, I don't like the grass color. I think it's too vibrant.

I did a quick color correction, I hope you don't mind!
    lWKoFqF.jpg
    Something like this would look a little more natural.
  • metric meditation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmmm maybe my monitor needs to be adjusted
  • DougClayton4231
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DougClayton4231 polycounter lvl 3
    Awesome work! I appreciate the videos Metric, They are very informative.
  • metric meditation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I appreciate the viewership.

Here is a question for you all: How would you feel if I put up a a few short tutorials on creating materials step by step? I have been teaching professional for some time and I have been in the business for about 15 years... perhaps it is time to pass on some of that info.
  • sybrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix polycounter lvl 13
    Great tutorial, metric, thanks for posting it! I for one would love material creation tuts. Would this be in UDK?
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    Interesting seeing hand painted in action. Especially with the rise of people attempting Dota 2 assets who are out of their comfort zone. Whatever you decide to do, I'm sure it'll be well received!

Your music choice is fun too :P
  • TOBSn08
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TOBSn08 polycounter lvl 7

Here is a question for you all: How would you feel if I put up a a few short tutorials on creating materials step by step? I have been teaching professional for some time and I have been in the business for about 15 years... perhaps it is time to pass on some of that info.

I think I have seen a video of a class you were teaching, would love to see more, I think I have learned quite a few things from it.
  • Lord Waffles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord Waffles polycounter lvl 10

Would love to see more, something that I would personally like to see is how you would go about hand painting a character.

Personally I am able to achieve far better results sculpting a character than hand painting one. In my mind Bricks and swords are easy to understand without much knowledge in lighting, however I still struggle with painting organic things. If I place the light source in say the upper left then it usually ends up being too obviously fake and looks wrong if the texture moves into a different environment.

Lastly i'm still a new artist, but I am on my way to 'Modular Enlightenment' and something I have never really scene is a hyper modular hand painted texture. I'm thinking about using basic gradients and lines in the diffuse channel and using the RGB channels to hold detail information. Give it multiple UVs and vertex paint the model and let the shader handle the rest...now i'm just ranting, but thanks again for the videos. I also enjoyed the workshop, helped a lot so hats off to you.

Cheers!
  • mcunha98
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mcunha98 polycounter lvl 7
    Good work, can you talk more (or share) the grass brush to study ?
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    I'd love to see more tutorials. That would be great.

Do you already know what you'd do as future tutorials?
  • metric meditation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey folks. I have a few ideas in mind. I will probably make a video an hour in length about the basic principles that I have developed, learned from others and how it all mashes together. It will cover making base textures and basic principles.... in other words... going back to foundation ;)

At one point, I would like to make a few tutorials of making environments/objects (perhaps 3 hours in length)... from concept to finish and charge a small fee for them.... this will help me recover from my debts, but that is just a thought.

in the mean time, I will begin making a few vids and share them :)
  • Adrian.Howden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adrian.Howden polycounter lvl 6
    Hey folks. I have a few ideas in mind. I will probably make a video an hour in length about the basic principles that I have developed, learned from others and how it all mashes together. It will cover making base textures and basic principles.... in other words... going back to foundation ;)

At one point, I would like to make a few tutorials of making environments/objects (perhaps 3 hours in length)... from concept to finish and charge a small fee for them.... this will help me recover from my debts, but that is just a thought.

in the mean time, I will begin making a few vids and share them :)

I would love to see this as I am working on improving hand painted textures myself.
  • TerryMosier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TerryMosier polycounter lvl 7
    Metric, hand painted textures are my main area of focus and I would kill for video tutorials on how to make stunning textures like yours.

Oh and thank you for sharing.
  • Snafubar7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snafubar7 polycounter lvl 8
    Something in that texture reminds me of burning crusade... hmmm :)

He's a fantastic teacher, btw!
  • darknessbear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice stuff! So cool.

What was that grass brush you were using? It was really neat...