Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Thug Character WIP

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
KristaW polycounter lvl 9
Hello

So for our class final we are making a character in the next 6 weeks. I have always loved Arnold Tsang's concepts so I was think of making a character based off of "Yo Dog." I emailed Arnold to get his permission. I do have a back up plan if he says no and that would be to make a character that is my teacher as a thug. Making my teacher a thug is very tempting but I only have 6 weeks to do this and I have other classes >.< The scope might be too big to make a character that resembles my teacher enough to pull it off. Let me know what you guys think. If I get enough encouragement to do "Thug Teacher" I will change my course. Also, if the teacher reads this he can email me saying: "Oh my gawd, I was kidding. Please don't make me into a thug character."

Anywho, here is Arnold's concept

jn25.jpg

Replies

• BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I think you would waste a lot of time trying to get the likeness, so honestly I would just make generic thug instead.
    The concept is really cool man, I think you will have your hands-full with just that! One more bit of advice... I think the way the character is stylized in the images is especially awesome. I think you should embrace that and not go for realism but a strong stylized look. When you get to working on the textures and shader, use a half lambert or ambient or something to make him cartoony. Anyway, just my 2 cents, good luck man!
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BradMyers Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to take your advice and not do the likeness of my teacher, haha. I am definitely considering pushing towards a more stylized look then I originally considered.

So last night I started the base to start the sculpt from. I need to finish the hands and the face. Thought I would pick polycount's brain with where I am at so far. Paintovers are welcome and in fact wanted. I am still learning what I'm doing so I would love input.

On another note, I put this photo on image shack last night and it got taken down. The only other time that has happened is with my lady base sculpt. Is nudity not allowed with image shack? Anyone know?

xtwn.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    cool man, you are off to a good start!

Since the character is mostly clothed the anatomy probably isn't need much except as a guide obviously. So I wouldn't worry about refining it too much more in terms of detail, just really get the proportions ironed out, that's the only thing important here.

At the moment he looks way too stocky. I think you want a guy with anatomy similar to a basketball player. Google some images of that first. Then if it were me I might make a quick orthographic sketch in Photoshop from the front and side and match my highpoly up to that. You will find it much easier and faster to make an orthographic sketch in photoshop, instead of noodling around with stuff directly in zbrush. That's been my personal experience at least. I know time is a major factor here so time management is going to be very important as well. You might consider making milestone's for yourself, like what you must accomplish at the end of each week to see if you are falling behind or not.

Good luck man!

[edit] oh yea, and just a word of caution. Don't use the concept at all in terms of proportions. By that I mean don't try to match up to that, because it is being heavily distorted (intentionally) with perspective. You probably already knew this, but just thought I would mention. :)
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Then if it were me I might make a quick orthographic sketch in Photoshop from the front and side and match my highpoly up to that. You will find it much easier and faster to make an orthographic sketch in photoshop,

I totally agree. In fact, I was supposed to make a character sheet before I started sculpting and I forgot about that when I decided to bust out a base mesh. Gotta get to the foundation before I rush off to the fun stuff. So off to photoshop I go :)
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, I made a character sheet.I wasn't go to put it up at first because they are one of my weaker areas, but if I'm willing to take critique on my 3D work I should let people critique my 2D work as well >.< I left his top clothing off because I wanted to use the orthographic views for reference. I want to create this character so he could be fully clothed or shirtless since he lives in SoCal.

ny9r.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Looks really good to me man. Although you have the legs so similar to the concept in your front drawing, there looks to be perspective drawn in and these are supposed to be orthographic. Side view looks correct though as an orthographic. I would make the legs and arms just slightly longer and remove the pitch from the orthographic and your good to go I think. I would imagine his shoulders and arms being less beefy in general, but that won't show in your final 3d model so it doesn't matter much anyway. Nice work so far!
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BradMyers82 Hey! I fixed some things on the character sheet, lengthened the legs and took the perspective pitch away from the front. I also modeled out his face a little better for funsies.I went ahead and just edited my post above above with the new character sheet. Btw, I just wanted to say thanks for your continual involvement and support. I've noticed that you give a lot of great critique and support on the threads here in polycount and I think it's people like you that make polycount a strong community. :)

So I adjusted my base mesh and tweaked it a little more to the orthographics on my character sheet. He's a lot lankier now. I had a lot of fun playing with zremesher to get the polygonal support around the hands and face. Now I can sculpt his hands on the next pass.
    Here is the close to finish base:

0zdf.jpg
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, just noticed his head is smaller in my sculpt than it is on the character sheet... Indecisive about which one to fix. Having a smaller head does make his proportion look better, IMO.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    NP, dude glad to help!

yea, the proportions look different in a lot of areas actually. I take it you are just eyeballing it, which is fine, but it might help to put your reference up in zbrush for direct comparisions. checkout this if you don't know how... "Grid Image Reference:" http://pixologic.com/zclassroom/homeroom/lesson/additional-videos/

The face is going to be very important so really take your time with that part. I actually sculpted a guys face that looks a little bit like your guy here. You can check it out on my portfolio if you want (scroll down towards the bottom you can't miss it). Keep pushing yourself and get lots more reference!
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @brad, yea I adjusted his proportions in zbrush to the orthographics but then I pulled them away and fixed what seemed wrong. During that fix I think things went a bit awry. My class mates suggested bringing in his shoulders even though that would skew proportions. I also notcied that I gave him much smaller shoulders in my concept than what is happening in Arnold's concept so maybe I should fix my concept instead of scaling down his shoulders.
    Checked out you portfolio. Its a little uncanny how much your sculpture looks like my dude! Is that why you took interest in this character? I'm actually really struggling right now with the face. Part of the issue is, since the concept hides the face a little bit I chose Ali Shaheed to base the character's face off of. But then on my character sheet I painted someone else's face :/ Because I have this disconnect, the face that I made in zbrush was an estimate between the two but I feel a little lost. After reading your response today I really pushed myself to try and model from my character sheet but this person does not exist and I have no other views of him so the sculpt kept getting worse. I feel caught between my concept and Ali Shaheed and which one will better suit my thug in the end. I noticed your reference is from 3DSK? I was thinking of finding him on 3DSK and working from there...
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Btw, BradMyers, I've seen your portfolio before, ha ha. Not sure when but I definitely have. Can't forget the awesome zombie pug!
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright I'm back with the next update. Starting to get some clothes on my guy. I consulted with a lot of people about my thugs appearance. He doesn't match the orthographic model sheet as much anymore but I feel like he is a closer representation to what Arnold may have had in mind when he made "Yo Dog." I am still frustrated with my inability to make a quality orthographic concept, or my inability to get an appealing likeness based off of the orthographics.
    qj4i.jpg

Here's what I have worked out for his face. pulled certain features from a model on 3Dsk and a little from Nelly, haha. My trad. sculpting teacher also had some suggestions for the features that would tie into the backstory I have for James. (Age, attitude, geographical location) I liked her suggestions. The profile still falls apart for me though. something about the neck and chin. Also, my sculpting teacher recommended I give my thug the same skull shape as one of our best life drawing models. Zach has a very geometric shaped skull from the side but I'm not sure this shape is working for James so I might soften it or change it completely.
    dbuz.jpg

And lastly, I made some fly kicks for my thug last night. I actually had my friend who collects Nikes come down and give me a consultation about what kind of shoes I should put on him. After looking at the concept he pointed out that my character was wearing Pumas, not Nikes but he felt he should have Nikes. After discussing it we found that Nikes Low Courts seemed like the best fit. Probably too much info. Sorry I should just shut up and show the images, haha.
    5m1m.jpg
  • jStins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    Nice kicks yo!
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @jStins, Thank you :) Slowly getting better at shoes since the absurdity of Bethany Black's kicks, haha.

Here is another wip. Figured I would throw it up here tonight because I will be finishing the highpoly tomorrow and I will be moving on to retop to stay on schedule. I was hoping for some input as to the last things to add. Ideally I would love for this character to have all of the things present in the concept art but with my time limit that won't be possible. I'm torn between investing time in the hoodie tomorrow or in the do rag and hat. I will be adding the hankercheif and I think it is pretty essential to get some bling on his fingers. What do you guys think?

Here it is with all of his clothes so far.
    g7lq.jpg

And here he is with his shirtless view for those hot summer days, you know.
    3k9h.jpg
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bumping this in hopes for some feedback because today is the last day doing the highpoly sculpt before I move on to retop. I'll even take critique for things that I might be too far along to fix. That critique will be taken on board for the next character I make. So please, shoot away. Also, any opinions on what would be more important to this particular character, jacket or the do-rag and hat?
    Things I'm aware are wrong: I am still missing the rolled up part of his pants, I need to pull out the part of his pants that is going into his leg, his underwear needs more love, and I need to redo the silver chains on his neck.
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay. Calling the Highpoly done for now. I will probably come back and do Higher frequency detail after retop. Finally jumped on the Keyshot bandwagon and gave it a try with my thug character. I feel like I want a little more control over the lighting but maybe I just need to play more.
    Critiques and comments always welcome!
    mdmm.jpg
    he0x.jpg
    yxx4.jpg
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,
    I could use some advice. I have retoped most of the body but I am stuck at what to do with the chest area. My dude has two chains on the chest. One is very small and will not need supporting geometry so it will just be part of the normal map. My question is should I make the larger chain it's own separated mesh? If I make it part of the body mesh It will need supporting geometry for the edges because of how far it sticks out from the body. That would change the edgeflow of the body though, especially because the necklace is asymmetrical. I could make it it's own mesh in the retop but then I'm afraid the geometry will intersect whenever I bend/twist the torso. I had this issue with a belt before. I am also curious about the shirt with the chain. It doesn't stick out as much though so I think I will make it part of the shirt mesh. By the way I have two chains. One for the body and one for the shirt.
    Would love input please!!!
    7hby.jpg
    dtqb.jpg
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, I finished the retop finally :poly122: I know it could probably be way better and I would love to hear any input. If I don't have time to fix it I would still like to know because I do like this character enough to keep reworking after it's due date in two weeks. Sorry about the quick crappy render. It probably won't help me get feedback. I won't be able to do this in time for the assignment but I still want to retop the shirt and make the hoodie and the gun.
    Anybody have thoughts on the texture sheet resolution? For the class assignment it can equal up to 4096. My original thought was to unwrap it to three 2048 maps and leave the fourth for the shirt jacket and gun. But then my friend told me that Thane from Mass Effect has only two 1k maps and a 512 map for the helmet.
    nv1a.jpg
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So here is my unwrap so far. In the past, for environments, I have made texture atlases that were 512x2048 because they were set up for horizontal tiling. The resolution limit for this assignment was 4096 and above I said I was going to break it up into three texture sheets. I was going to have the face and stuff on one, the torso and stuff on another, and then clothes on the third saving the forth for his shirt and gun when I get a chance to do those. To make baking easier I decided to just have the whole body on one long texture sheet. 2048x4096 I've only done this with environments before so I don't know if its silly to do it with a character when you're not tiling. I also wonder if the different engines respond differently to skinny textures. In a 2048x4096 texture does the engine just consider it 4096x4096? In which case there is a lot of unused texture! This will be something I will look into but if anyone knows that is reading this I would love your thoughts on it. Any critique or feedback would be great. :)

3hdp.jpg

7yxq.jpg

3r51.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Hey dude, sorry I haven’t seen your progress here in a while but your doing really awesome! Much much better than when I saw it last. You really did a good job getting a lot of form in your character, and I love the attention to detail with all his clothing and stuff. Those folds look awesome honestly. They have large sweeping shapes that work really well and totally sell the clothes material.
    It is a lot different from the original concept but perhaps this is more your actual style showing thru? You could still potentially give him a similar feel at the end though with a beauty render shot from below like in the concept with strong perspective lense.

Looking forward to seeing those textures!

Btw, thanks for the kind words! I didn’t really take a liking to your character because of my previous work, I just thought the concept was really cool and I wanted you to do it justice. :) Personally I like sculpting characters with strong features, as an artist I find it really interesting. I could easily see myself working on a character like this for fun, but since I have like 10 unfinished personal projects running right now, I’ll just watch you make him. :D
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BradMyers82,
    Thank you so much for your kind words! I needed that boost this week. There is always that fear that you are polishing a turd and I started to feel I might be doing that with this character. >.<

I had baked down my textures but after getting some advice I decided to redo my uv layout. In my mind, this gave me permission to put in some finer detail into my high poly sculpt before I bake it out a second time. It might not even be noticeable in the final model but it is so fun to do.

jzcu.jpg
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, this is due on Monday and I didn't get as far with the textures as I would like. Too many gremlins happened at the end of this project. Played around with Marmoset tonight. Next thing I'm going to do is pose it to get him ready for his final shots for class. I plan to keep working on him though to get that damn shirt, hoodie, and gun done. :D
    bx2z.jpg
  • Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brandon.LaFrance polycount sponsor
    This turned out really well. Sculpturally, you've got some really nice material definition going on. Wonder how it would have looked had you had more time on the textures. What you've got so far is really clean.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Awesome progress here - Textures look good, will be great to see him posed :)
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brandon.LaFrance, Aww, thanks for the kind words. Hopefully I'm not a brat and I actually finish this guy after I turn him in as an assignment. Then I can do the textures a better service.

Torch, thank you ^^ hopefully my posing doesn't let you down. It's where I tend to be a little weak >.<

dragonmoony, thanks for the critique :) I will be touching up all of the textures again (hopefully) so I will look into creating a better jean texture.

So I posed him in zbrush using transpose master. It crashed (gremlins!) while I was tinkering but luckily I had saved out a ztool during transpose master. I wasn't able to get him out of transpose master though so I had to export his obj with the uv mapping lost. Totally fine because I just used transfer attributes in Maya to transfer uv-info onto the newly posed mesh. It worked fine except on his right shoe. It transferred the unwrap and the uv shell looks identical to the other shoe but it's like the uv edges all spun around. Has anyone seen this before? I'm going to just duplicate the well-behaved shoe and replace it but I would like to know how to fix this/understand what happened for future projects.

9zmo.jpg
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, here are the posed shots and wire frames rendered in Marmoset. As always comments and critiques welcome!

o1pp.jpg

9ykm.jpg

uq1o.jpg

kjyn.jpg

urnz.jpg

Eh, not sure how I am feeling about the last two shots. But onto other finals for now.
  • silkroadgame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great details of your model!
    And the making progress is very good!I think the expression would be hardest part.
    Cheers!
  • Mumar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mumar polycounter lvl 5
    KristaW wrote: »
    Brandon.LaFrance, Aww, thanks for the kind words. Hopefully I'm not a brat and I actually finish this guy after I turn him in as an assignment. Then I can do the textures a better service.

Torch, thank you ^^ hopefully my posing doesn't let you down. It's where I tend to be a little weak >.<

dragonmoony, thanks for the critique :) I will be touching up all of the textures again (hopefully) so I will look into creating a better jean texture.

So I posed him in zbrush using transpose master. It crashed (gremlins!) while I was tinkering but luckily I had saved out a ztool during transpose master. I wasn't able to get him out of transpose master though so I had to export his obj with the uv mapping lost. Totally fine because I just used transfer attributes in Maya to transfer uv-info onto the newly posed mesh. It worked fine except on his right shoe. It transferred the unwrap and the uv shell looks identical to the other shoe but it's like the uv edges all spun around. Has anyone seen this before? I'm going to just duplicate the well-behaved shoe and replace it but I would like to know how to fix this/understand what happened for future projects.

9zmo.jpg

Yah, when you transfer UVs in maya make sure del all history on the object, or else when you move the object, the UVS will move as well. At least I think that's whats happening in the screenshot
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    This is looking awesome, congrats!

I think if you took a cloud brush and maybe a speckle type brush in photoshop and added a bit of subtle grime you could break up the jeans and hat so they don't look quite so uniform in color. As someone already mentioned, that's probably the most noticeable thing atm. But he is reading really well from a distance, which is the most important thing, so I think you have done a great job there. If you more time on the textures, I'm sure you could get him looking better up close too! But as it stands, I love how the shoes, dreads and jewelery turned out detail wise.

He has a sorta GTA vibe going on in that posed show which I really like too btw. Maybe something as simple as those little yellow lane lines and some grime on the road, and a few pieces of trash (coke can, newspaper or something) could really make this look polished. Also, don't be afraid to tweak the mesh a bit after he is rigged and posed. Like just push and pull polys into place if things didn't deform correctly. I know its sorta cheating, but the main thing is you showcase your character art not technical skills for something like rigging which I'm sure you aren't really interested in anyway. That said, his right bicep looks sorta twisted downward into his arm pit. I would clean that up too. Again awesome job!
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 Thank you! ^^ I'm happy that it was able to get this far for the time I had, especially considering how crazy this quarter was for me. It would be fun to build him a little environment :D I feel a little bit torn about how to give his hat shoes and pants more character. I would throw in grime usually but this character strikes me as someone who would be pissed if his kicks got the slightest smudge on them. Same with the hat and pants. I didn't want to piss him off, haha, but I agree that they definitely need work. I was thinking about just really pushing the material definition...but I will try some subtle grunge and see how it looks as well. It can't hurt especially if it's on a layer ;) And I will definitely cheat the next time I pose him, Hopefully soon with with a shirt, hoodie, and environment.

Sorry to spam this thread with pictures but I realized I forgot to make a sheet that had the textures on it, which was part of the assignment. So I figured I would throw that picture up here too. It's bigger too so now you guys can see the little mistakes easier too, haha.

5msm.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    That expression really turned out great! Yea, I was just thinking super subtle with the clouds and grunge. You might not even call it grunge really... Its just that even if you look at a perfectly white wall, its never going to actually be perfectly white if you really look at at. So I was thinking if you ran a cloud brush over it with like 8% opacity, it might help to break it up some more. You could even try throwing in a couple of very light gradients too.

Not a big deal, just thought it would add a little something to it, and its super picky (none artist people never look for this stuff, lol). But I'm really happy I could help you with this a little... makes me look good since you did such a good job. haha!

BTW, I'm a little confused that you have two names at the bottom... Was this a team effort? That part isn't really clear...
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eep, no, that is supposed to be the character's name but the names are the same size so it does make it confusing. In any final presentation I will fix that, glad you said something.