Home Contests & Challenges Archives

VG Remix - Fus-Ro-Dioramah!

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
glenatron polycounter lvl 11
Final submission:

[SKETCHFAB]b819181e3ca84671afb06541a6dd402d[/SKETCHFAB]

My entry will be based on Skyrim, but will be given a cutesy/chubby Wind Waker/ Adventure Time look. I'm aiming to do a cross-section of a typical modular dungeon, with each floor depicting the dragonborn in various scenarios.

- Top floor - facing off against a podgy dragon, using his trademark shout
- Middle floor - hacking and slashing with a ghoul/ undead
- Lower floor - grabbing some sweet-ass treasure, including a 'big key'

Here's a concept vomit for characters/shapes

orthos.jpg

Here's the scene as it stands. Still a lot of holes to fill, and refining to do, and obviously not the final character poses/layout.

[SKETCHFAB]3a07f35fd1894b619e3ee608b42e77dd[/SKETCHFAB]

Here are the characters in SF. The polycount needs spanking down on all of them still.

[SKETCHFAB]8849f99cc27441b9b22cea1990966719[/SKETCHFAB]

And here's a quick colour paint so far, with a few WIP texture tile swatches, for a rough idea of the style I'm going for (more to come on this).

paint.jpg

Replies

• haZe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haZe greentooth
    Dude, nice! Pretty ambitious, love the multiple levels and model style. I'm curious to see how you'll texture the various chunky bits of the environment at low-res.

For the main scene layout, I wonder if you might be able to cut down on some of the flat space that will just be walls... maybe have one "knocked out" so that we can see more of what is going on inside from arious angles. I love the little "bones buried in the wall" vignette, so you could easily use elements like that which face the viewer to break up the space as well -- like a mini-scene hidden on the way to the main action.

Can't wait to see more!
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    Wow, that's a nice idea and I really love that style!
  • MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    Good job on this, the multiple levels are a great idea man! I also agree with haZe. You could maybe just add objects to the wall to fill the emptiness. Like an alchemy table, a small shrine or even a small version of the shout wall. Anyway, just some ideas, food for thought and all that.

Looking forward to seeing how this will progress :)

edit: I also found this. It's an image of the runes in skyrim, in case you wanna use them for textures or something.

Keep it up!
  • minorthreat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    minorthreat polycounter lvl 7
    your texture work is incredible so far
  • glenatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the awesome feedback guys, and for the links/ideas!

The shout wall is the very boxy looking (at the moment) thing behind the dragon. I'll add a few more props, and refine the dungeon layout, I just didn't want to stretch myself too thin too soon, so I'll see what I have time for.

The whole bones/filling in the wall-space dirt will look awesome, so that's definitely going in!
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Digging the layout and style a lot! One really wants to turn it around and look into every open space.
  • Novian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Novian polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome stuff! I am jealous that I didn't think of this multi-level design. Really brilliant to show the various parts of the game.

My two suggestions would be to 1.) Add in one or two of those damnable swinging scythe things (that ALWAYS get me) and 2.) Add some details or iconic symbols to the more "boring" areas (i.e maybe the classic horned helm hanging from a root sticking out of the very bottom of the rocks. You've got a lot of great interest going on everywhere else.

Can't wait to see more. Subbed.

Cheers~
  • deadpixl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deadpixl polycounter lvl 9
    Love the tiered design!
  • glenatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the kind words, and more awesome ideas!
    I definitely want to add some booby (hehe) traps, since that's a large part of Skyrim dungeons, but not sure which ones would look best in a chunky, cutesy style.
    I'm planning on dialing back rock at the bottom a bit, then adding some bats and crumbling bits of rock.
  • FlashL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking really neat, I love the direction you're taking this.
  • glenatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Massively late update, because that's how i roll.

Everything is in, and has been given a decent first pass. Now I need to take another pass over the naff textures, colour balancing, tweak the character skins (animation is hard!), and close up the few gaps I've found.

Let me know if there's anything wrong. At this stage, my eyes are so tired, I'd probably never notice it myself.

Also, if anyone knows how to enable backface culling / single sided polys in Sketchfab, that would be awesome. It's gonna really screw up my floaty dialogue otherwise.

Cheers chaps!

[SKETCHFAB]1d6de4e3530b404389032bc6cc88e084[/SKETCHFAB]
  • glenatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Had a massive issue with alpha not showing up, then showing up but having terrible alpha sorting, no matter what iI did to/how i split the meshes. Arrgharghblargh!

Anyways, I think I've reduced the issue enough to not detract from the scene, and I've done another texture pass and fixed a few things.

Let me know what you think.

[SKETCHFAB]6645e2d384394dd7983020ed2bf2861e[/SKETCHFAB]
  • amymja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those bats are so cute!
  • glenatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks amymja!

All submitted now, and the first post has been updated with the final Sketchfab scene.
  • haZe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haZe greentooth
    Aaaaaah awesome! The draugr with the arrow in his head totally sold me. Standout piece, dude. Spades of personality and charm.
  • HamerTimePhunk
    MInd blown!! How Many tex maps did you use to make the whole thing? And what res are they? Just out of curiosity :)
  • glenatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers chaps!

There are around 30 textures in total, including the character maps, lotsa different sizes. They all fit within a 512x512 square, with some room left over. I'll copy the texture sheet/pics from the final subs thread in a mo..
  • FireWalkWithMe
    This is so good! I love how cute the draugr are, and the multiple levels are great :D

Definitely one of my favourites!
  • glenatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the kind words!

Here are the final submission images, including all the textures:

beauty_1.jpg
    beauty_2.jpg
    beauty_3.jpg
    characters.jpg
    textures.jpg