dzKA0xB.jpg
IM6B3Mv.jpg
gTSOfbY.jpg
5l21IoV.jpg
R2mXi81.jpg
GiqvvO3.jpg
IwMK3mh.jpg
uL9i5Bw.jpg
Hey guys! So you might have seen a first sneak peek on the waywo thread, or maybe not. So as the title suggest I am getting started on this new project (and huge challenge) that is to model ellie from the last of us.
So I'm only getting started at the moment but I'm at that point where I would really like some constructive input so here I am!

I'm having a little bit of trouble first of all because I feel (might be wrong) that the zbrush sculpt and the ingame model don't perfectly match up so I'm really second guessing myself when working.

Anyway enough talking, here is the first image shown on the waywo and the latest update !

Looking forward to hear from you guys!
S5O66rz.jpg

Latest update here
UAURshC.jpg

Replies

• harricool
    heyo...Marie...good to see u back...Very good start...And am sure you have the art work of last of us posted here and in ZB central..what i see from original character is her jaw line is more conical...whereas urs is lil broad..and eyes is bit off which makes her lil old...few changes in lips and u might want to broaden up her nose a bit.....few more changes and you will get her...keep updating us...
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    So here for the all the lazy of us ,
    this is the official zbrush sculpt of ellie I'm using as a reference

REFERENCE :
    The-Last-of-Us-Characters-Sculpt-ellie-02.jpg?resize=1020%2C484
    The-Last-of-Us-Characters-Sculpt-ellie-01.jpg?resize=1020%2C467
  • JoscelinFrost
    I agree with Harricool, you are getting there but there are a couple proportions that feel a bit off and give the impression that she is older. I'm not much of a character guy so I won't attempt to give anatomy feedback but keep at it and I'm sure you'll get there. Question, is the idea of the piece to reproduce her model as closely as possible? Just a suggestion but I always find it fun to examine the character design and make personal tweaks, emphasize things that you really liked about the character. You won't end up with a 1-to-1 reproduction but with an Ellie that is *yours*, which personally I find more fun and interesting. Anyhow keep up the good work!
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    I think you need to remove the hair first because that is gonna throw off your basic anatomy and proportions on the head. Then, before making her look like Ellie, I would focus on your anatomical facial form. Get a book with really good facial anatomy that details the structure on the eye, nose, lips, ear, anything to do with the head and get that form correct first. I can already tell there are some issues with yours. Once you get that form properly done, go in and tweak it to look more like Ellie.
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Hey guys!
    JoscelinFrost Thanks a lot for your feedback, Yah I understand what you mean about not making the character an exact reproduction of the real game model. No matter what I do I think it will always remain a personnal interpretation of it because its made by two different artist etc. But I sure want her to be reconizable!
    Slosh Thanks a lot for your input. I understand I still need a lot of work to understand anatomy even better etc. But about this character, can you give me more precise feedback about the issue you can see :) ? I think the best way to learn anatomy is through a lot of practice, making mistake and learning to correct them!
  • Pioldes
    Offline / Send Message
    Pioldes polycounter lvl 5
    I think that doing a young adult Ellie would've been a great idea actually.

Kind of like the grown-up Tina from Botderlands 2 :)

Keeps the look of the character, but with an interesting and new take on it.

Good job on the sculpt so far though! I'd say that the thing that bothers me the most in the brow area. You can see that Ellie's eyebrow area is softer and lower, giving her a more ''innocent'' look instead of a more serious one.

Keep it up! :)
  • annachikn
    Hey! Nice work and progress so far! I think everything is working pretty well, however there are a few issues that are throwing you off. The biggest thing that almost everyone pointed out is the brow area, and once you fix that, she will look a lot more like Ellie! I was curious to compare the official sculpt next to yours and so I did a drawover. Here are some of my thoughts.

cNIGGAD.jpg

Also I agree with slosh about removing the hair while you work on the face sculpt. The hair is blocking quite a bit of the jaw and is distracting.

Good luck, keep going!
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Annachikn Exactly the kind of input I needed,
    Thanks a million!
  • annachikn
    No problem! Happy to help :)
  • garriola83
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    keep going, i will follow
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    uSWF9oc.jpg
    Still a lot of fixes to do but I think the eyes are getting better..
    Still need to figure out the shape of the face that seems a bit vague to me from a screenshot to another...
    Critics and comment more then welcome as usual :D

Ah and forgot
    without the hair since you guys asked!
    oVbg38V.jpg
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Update mostly on the shirt :)
    needed a little pause from the face so I can see stuff better, gets a little bit harder when you look only at one part of a character for too long!

OPWFVmE.jpg
  • BrianP
    Offline / Send Message
    BrianP polycounter lvl 7
    looking good! the folds defiantly have the last of us feel.
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    :) Thamks Brian!
    Here's and update, I updated the face quite a lot, tho i'm not sure if it shows that much. Really worked on the cheek and jaw line because she had really puffy-rond face before and I think it was a little bit too much.
    Started working on the undershirt too and please don't look at the hand since those are placeholder and I didn't touch them at all so far.

Looking forward for you guys critics-opnion-hate mail ;)
    5mKIuca.jpg
  • tac0m
    Offline / Send Message
    tac0m polycounter lvl 6
    first off. so far great job. the cloth looks really good and the face is coming along nicely.
    I have a question, how do you make the little rips in the cloth and the holes in there too.
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Nothing really rocket science, I think in the real model from naughty dog they actually had it modeled in the low resolution (you can see if in the screenshot from her face). On mine I just pushed the polygones in with the dam standard (or a similar brush) until the other shirt under it start showing. Tadaaa.
    And i'm glad you liked it :)!
  • SA_22
    looking great tits.... hands look AMAZING! :D

maybe a tiny bit more puffyness between her cheek bone and her nose
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Little update!!
    Still no work done on the hand, I know I know, they look amazing haha...
    The top part of the jeans especially is very very wip.
    God clothing fold is so hard but I think I did a not too bad job on the bottom part, what do you guys think? I hope you like it!

z5AcGQo.jpg
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Great work so far! But honestly, it seems like a strange thing to do. If you're going to do an existing game character, I think it's a good idea to change something about them (like an age variant, or gender swap) or change the style or target platform/polycount. With this it looks like you're trying to match the in-game model as close as possible, you're even loosely following the pattern of the folds. While I think that it would be a good study, I'm not sure how great it'll be as a portfolio piece, since no matter how well you do, it is still an imitation.

I hope that doesn't come off as overly critical, and like I said it's looking great, but those are just my thoughts on it.
  • ddoan88
    Offline / Send Message
    ddoan88 polycounter lvl 7
    This is looking really cool keep up the great work. Can't wait to see the finish products.
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    @ Shiniku I know what you mean,
    I just really liked the character as it is and I am really not interested in making her younger, older or male (!). Of course in the end the polycount will be way lower since I do not want to go as high res as the actual model. Im trying to keep it close from the original model because I see this as study, a look-a-like exercice. As if it's a good portfolio piece or not it's hard to tell, for sure when you are trying to find a job you need to do portfolio pieces that will get the attention of the potential kind of employer you would want to work with in the futur. Since I aldready have a job I'm just doing characters that passionate me and give me the kind of challenge I am looking for.
    But Thanks a lot for your input, I still unferstand your point and agree with it :)
    @ddoan88 Thanks, Im glad you liked it!
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Hey this is looking much better. Are you sculpting the folds exactly how they are on the last of us sculpts? If so, that is one thing I would change. Sculpt your own folds from reference. Just my 10 cents. Otherwise, folds look good. I would def take it to the next level because the most impressive thing to me about those sculpts are all the subtle secondary folds that they did by hand. Keep it up!
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    very nice work so far dudette,

my only feedback would be fingers look a bit too thin, and also, womens jeans are cut/fit differently than mens so you get slightly different fold behaviour.
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Hey thanks guy!
    @slosh I'm loosely following the reference for the fold but I have been using some of my own picture reference especially for the bottom of the jeans that I was having a hard time making it look believable. So yah I'm loosely following them but it's not a total copy or anything. Sure need to give them more tear-worn out and everything .

@Jonhny Thanks for the comment, Yah as I said in my earlier post the end are totally placeholder, I'm keeping them for the end, God I hate making hands haha!
    And yah I'm still working on those folds. The jeans are tight-ish but she is not wearing skinny legs or anything, its a little bit more of a straight fit jeans or a light bootcut.

Thanks for the input guys!
  • Madwish
    Offline / Send Message
    Madwish polycounter lvl 6
    I did not play the Last of Us (please don't throw me pointy stuff ;p), but that's looking very nice, very good progress so far!

Don't have much to comment right now since you said hands and top of trousers still need work. I really like the face even though it's not carbon copy of the concept. I'm not an expert, but looking at the official sculpt, maybe you could work slightly the overall silhouette of the arms. They feel a bit more "tube-ish" in your sculpt. The ref has some slight curve to the upper arm. It also seems to be tighter/thinner. But since you still need to work on the folds, I may very well be saying stuff for nothing.

Keep up the good work. :)
  • NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Madwish wrote: Ā»
    I did not play the Last of Us (please don't throw me pointy stuff ;p), but that's looking very nice, very good progress so far!

Don't have much to comment right now since you said hands and top of trousers still need work. I really like the face even though it's not carbon copy of the concept. I'm not an expert, but looking at the official sculpt, maybe you could work slightly the overall silhouette of the arms. They feel a bit more "tube-ish" in your sculpt. The ref has some slight curve to the upper arm. It also seems to be tighter/thinner. But since you still need to work on the folds, I may very well be saying stuff for nothing.

Keep up the good work. :)
    *throws bowling ball* Just kidding! You should definitely try to play the game, it's incredible.

As for the OP, you are doing great so far, can't wait to see the finished result.
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Hey guys, thanks for the critics!
    I do agree that there is something wrong with the arms, I'm gonna try to take a look at them tonight after work.
    I also thing the neck might be a little bit too long, dunno what you guys thinks?
    I worked on the pants a bit yesterday, I definitly need to add some back pocket.
    Im probably gonna update the face a bit soon, I think she still need a bit more definition of the jaw and some corrections on the base of the nose wich i'm having a lot of trouble with...
    Anyway, just a boring little screenshot from the back,
    More update soon :)
    vVPIYOv.jpg
  • AlanSMitchell
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    WAOH I'm no character artist so all you got is praise from me Damn good work.
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Latest update
    more work in the pants- hair and face
    It's all subtle but I think I'm getting closer with the face (i hope!)
    AaNxq4G.jpg
    XxrD6do.jpg
  • garriola83
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    great stuff, keep going
  • KristaW
    Offline / Send Message
    KristaW polycounter lvl 9
    This is coming out really well. It's far better than what I could do :)

Something that might help with the arms in the back is getting the wrinkles to point more towards the elbow bone instead of being as horizontal.

I look forward to the rest.
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Thanks guys!
    I'll check the wrinkles on the back of the arm to see if I can make it look better KristaW!
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    No Huge / impressive update today,
    Mostly face shape a bit, neck, hands and she finally got some shoes (lucky girl!)
    Shoes are too perfect atm, need to dirty-break them up
    GwGZhmC.jpg
    vPZsnOe.jpg
  • Tits
  • gyarados
    I have been lurking this thread. I liked the progression of the model and your latest iteration is a step in the right direction. I did notice however that the face looks rather sharp/flat/clean especially in the cheeks, but also flat around the brow region and other areas.

Maybe it is just the matcap/material causing this, but i would double check them anyway.

I hope you can make good progress and post an update soon:poly127:

crit.jpg
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Hey! Thanks a lot gyarados
    This is some very interesting input on the face. I just got my brand new computer yersterday so I'm really excited and i'll make sure to take a look at this soon and post some update!
  • retleks
    Offline / Send Message
    retleks polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Tits, I think it's coming along well. Check the hands though, they are overworked. For the most part, the key to hands is subtlety. As they are, they have too much shape, and too many and too deep creases.

There is a tendency among a lot of artists to "shrinkwrap" the skin around the bones so that you get this pronounced form around the knuckles and joints, and this sunken in form between the joints. If you check reference, you'll notice that this just pretty much never happens, and in fact fingers are almost always smooth tapered tubes (very generalized) with flat top from base to nail. Almost all of the shapelyness happens on the bottom side of this tube where if the hands are held stiff the silhouette can look like waves. This shape is pretty much held together unless clenched tight where they then bunch together, but even then, the shapes between the joints are pretty constant.

Hope that's helpful! Keep it up.
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Hey there!
    retleks Thanks a lot for your comment. It really does make sens (read it couple of time since it's always harder for me to understand everything in my second language haha...). I'm currently reworking the hand in the hopes of making them look a bit better, they are not ready to show yet tho :P.

So a small update I guess, just for fun. I got my brand new computer on sunday (HELL YEAH) so I was pretty busy because I had to reinstall all my 3d software and i'm still not done yet (so long).
    While waiting for that I've been having a little bit of fun with keyshot, just trying to learn it.
    So heres 2 renders just for fun, I made some changes on the face but at that point I think changed are really not dramatic so it might be hard to see..
    Anyway other then the tweaks there and there I'm starting the bagback but that will be for the next update!
    9OghHqB.jpg
    chAe2Pu.jpg
  • Fomori
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Looking very nice. The sculpting style has a kind of illustrative feel to it. Reminds me of the Walking Dead games.

I would consider softening her nose and it's bridge as I think others suggested.

Also her top lip looks too thick to me, that could be because her mouth is too wide. The original Ellie seems to have more of a youthful pout, which means she gets away with the thicker lips. Hope that makes sense!
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    the progress here is really good, but there are a couple of concerns i have about her face.

in the first of your two latest images, her nasolabial folds look really soft, like you'd expect for someone of her age. in the second they're quite pronounced, i'm not sure if it's a difference in lighting or you made the change consciously, either way it should be more like the first.

the second is that she could benifit from having the corners of her top lip softened a bit, right now there's this super hard straight line that terminates really abruptly and it throws off the feminine look.

and finally, don't forget that they redesigned her to look less like Ellen Page, and more like Ashley Johnson. this change is very noticeable in the eyes and chin.
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Hey guys!
    Thanks for the input!
    @almighty_gir concerning the nasolabial fold I think it's really the lighting / material that is making it look weird in the second image because it's exactly the same model, no change was made between the two renders. I'm gonna take a look at the corner of the top lip tho, thanks!
    Yah I didnt't look at ellen page when doing the character not to get too much influence from her, tho I didn't look at ashley jonhson either, maybe I should have had.
    More update soon ;)
  • TheQuietPotato
    Really loving this, do you mind me asking what render setup and material you are using to get your screenshots?
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Hummm I didn't actually save my scene so I'm not totally sure but I think I used the gray soft touch material on the first render. The second one was using a glossy plastic material that I modified to get that result.
    I'm sorry my answer might not be the most precise!!
  • TheQuietPotato
    No problem, thanks for the response anyway. Its that first render which I think looks really good, almost like chalk.
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Just a lil update,
    I started the backpack today, still some detailing to do of course.
    There is no shoulder straps and all that stuff yet, gonna start that on monday since I'm out of town for the weekends.
    No more talk here's to the ''good'' part
    bgsRuA3.jpg
    iPAnhn7.jpg
    Yc3QwKu.jpg
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Hey guys, Just a link to this really simple video I posted on youtube.
    It's just to answer questions that I was asked quite a few time about my pipeline, basemeshes etc and some people told me I should record a quick video so here I am.
    This doesn't cover anything very complicated it's pretty basic stuff but I hope it can help someone :)
    I'm very sorry about the accent by the way, I just realized I have a huge one and I sure don't appreciate hearing my voice on video haha!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6z-iaAx1P4&feature=share&list=UUKlNB0dpR1BK0y-JRh6Ju7Q"]Ellie, The last of us, zbrush pipeline overview - YouTube[/ame]
  • MM
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    really nice progress on this character. the cloth is looking really good.

if you are still looking to improve the model i suggest revising the size of the hands and feet. right now they look slightly small compared to her age body proportions.

also, the cheeks and the over all face could use a bit more volume as suggested above. right now the face feels a bit unbalanced and hard. adding more flesh would make her softer and look more cute for her age.

here is a paintover for the face:

Xc1ZBh3.gif

also, retleks is right on the money about the hands. they are over worked and too masculine.

few hand references:

http://www.freestockphotos.biz/pictures/12/12165/girl.jpg

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/easter-rabbit-hands-young-girl-29150596.jpg

hand cast from a young girl, notice how soft the actual forms are and most of it has to do with very subtle definitions rather than over emphasized knuckles or bone structure.

http://www.handsacrosstime.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Charlotte-hands-in-bronze.jpg
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    I LOOOOOVEEEE your paint over MM
    I'm not too sure exactly what you did and how to transpose this in my zbrush model but I will sure try because this is looking pretty sweet.
    I'll try to revisit the hands and feet too, I totally agree that the hands looks a bit too small. For the overworked part, totally, I just can't get it right :S
  • MM
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    add some volume to the side of the cheeks and little on the front and also a little bit above the corner of the lips but not too much. think of it as pumping more fat under her skin because that is what it is basically, baby fat.

may be try doing few practice run on a clone tool first and work your way over the face with the clay brush. also may be soften up the nose bridge between the eyes and the nose over all.
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    MM too subtle? AUJba51.gif

Update on the bag
    xd90ysc.jpg