Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gex

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Vendetti polycounter lvl 10
Soo, i finally decided to bring one of my alltime favorites from the ps1 era:

Gex, that sneaky gecko. I had this idea for ages now and since i need to get some work done for my bachelor of arts i think its both, a good training and (if it works) something good to present.

Also i need to fill up my portfolio... :|

so, heres some reference, a quick sketch i made years ago.
and, my current state of modelling:

my9s.jpg

48f2.jpg

0mq5.jpg
I tried to do something between the old design and my new one, what do you think?

I guess it is possible to import the game ready model into zbrush, texture it and then export just the unwrapped textures for the gamemodel without doing all the retopo`?

would be nice to hear some c&c

Replies

• Vendetti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Further adaption to the old model, changed the position of the legs and made his mouth shorter.

need to retopo but i think i'll import the model into zbrush to work there.

ljlq.jpg
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indecom polycounter lvl 15
    So far your anatomy is pretty good, i do however think he's missing his trademark smirk that really sells it as Gex. His forearms are a little to thick, tapering up to the wrist where it should be getting thinner instead. Unless that's what your aiming for, in that case you should get rid of the wrist and make the forarms get even thicker to exaggerate the cartoony anatomy.
  • Vendetti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indecom wrote: »
    So far your anatomy is pretty good, i do however think he's missing his trademark smirk that really sells it as Gex. His forearms are a little to thick, tapering up to the wrist where it should be getting thinner instead. Unless that's what your aiming for, in that case you should get rid of the wrist and make the forarms get even thicker to exaggerate the cartoony anatomy.

Thank you :)
    Yes, i wanted to create a mix of the old and my new design. but i think i'll make it look more like the old one.

ynfy.jpg

changed his head, made him smile, changed alot of proportion and his arms
  • antszy101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks like you have a weird seam from smoothing groups going right down the middle of his chest. Easy fix :poly121:
  • Vendetti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nah, i just havent stitched the two halves together ;)
  • Vendetti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    y59s.jpg

making the retopo for detailing
  • DannSw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DannSw polycounter lvl 10
    A few things feel a bit off for me.

His neck isn't long enough - it currently looks like a man wearing a lizard mask as opposed to an anthropomorphic lizard. His arms seem slightly too long, and his fingers far too thin in that last shot. Altogether, I think he should be slightly stockier.
  • Vendetti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the green model pictures up there are from the first blocking,
    im currently remodeling in zbrush and compared to the original psx model it looks fine to me.
    the pxs model got very long arms as you can see he slightly bends them.
    with the fingers, i agree that they look kinda thin but ill fix it when the retopo is finished.
    i havent got alot of time left to finish the model but i'll try to be as accurate as possible.

thank you fpr the critique ;)
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Really like the blockout, forms seem nice , but no idea about it being correct
  • Vendetti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you, glad you like it ^^

5d49.jpg

im kinda stuck with the topo, can anyone give me some help?
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    2T7av4q.png

Yeah, retopology is like a puzzle game that you never really get good at. One thing I've learned is that you always want to follow the forms of your sculpt when doing retopo. Let the lines come out naturally and then find a way to work the geometry around that instead of trying to force it.
  • JellyBee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like how the main mass is coming along. I feel that the arms need a little more shape around the elbow though. Adding a bit of a 'point' to the back of the elbow would help.
  • Vendetti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stitched together a map of the first level of Gex 1

krku.jpg

And a good friend helped me alot with the topo, now texturing

k643.jpg
  • Vendetti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okaay, the mesh is ready for export
    some details may be changed later but for now im quite happy with the result.
    now on to 3dsmax, modelling the mouth, eyes and tongue.

mmcl.jpg
  • HDaniel999
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woah! awesome work, i didn't remember that game, was very cool. :D
  • Vendetti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you :) glad, you like it ^^

im currently experimenting with gameplay in unity, began to tile up the level but im not very happy with it. first there gonna be way too many objects when i try to set up the level with tiles as in the original and secondly it just doesnt look good. shurely i could touch up the tiles alot but i think im gonna set up the level less generic.

heres a little test screenshot

3la5.jpg
  • Vendetti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made some Gravestones and modeled the inner mouth. also added eyes

7z1p.jpg
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    You can improve your texture a lot by baking a light array (just lights in a circle or something) which is lighting the char evenly from top. You get a black to white image with lighting information, and you can simply put them ontop of your diffuse in photoshop, turn opacity way down until you like it.

You will get subtle light and shadow information without the need of in editor lighting, and it will improve the visuals a lot, especially for nice round shapes. (pro bonus: use gradient overlay to change the white to a neraly white yellow and black to a nearly black purple)
  • Vendetti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike wrote: »
    You can improve your texture a lot by baking a light array (just lights in a circle or something) which is lighting the char evenly from top. You get a black to white image with lighting information, and you can simply put them ontop of your diffuse in photoshop, turn opacity way down until you like it.

You will get subtle light and shadow information without the need of in editor lighting, and it will improve the visuals a lot, especially for nice round shapes. (pro bonus: use gradient overlay to change the white to a neraly white yellow and black to a nearly black purple)

thank you for the info :)
    can i also take the lightmap from zbrush?

im not shure wether it will be significant since the character will be set into a 2d platformer scene. thus he wont be as near to the camera as that all the details can be seen.

but i will try it out ;)
  • Vendetti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Learning Speedtree, experimenting with textures and modelling fence variations

p5bs.jpg
  • Vendetti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spend all day figuring out the best way to do the pillars
    made the lowpoly in max, did an quick unwrap and sliced it into squares. then imported into zbrush.

dq58.jpg
  • Vendetti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made a Fly Pickup

flid.jpg
  • Vendetti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Basic structure of the first gex level

sfc0.jpg
  • Vendetti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    modelled an "enemy"
    now on to unwrapping, any suggestions how to easily unwrap this thing?

a22c.jpg
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    I'm loving this project - it'll be great to see where you take it!

With regards to UV Unwrapping, what modelling package are you using?
    In Maya, I have set a hotkey for 'AutomaticUnwrap' with these settings:

SwOkEqD.jpg

This splits up the UVs into uniformly-sized UV islands based on a cube projection.

Then I have a hotkey for 'MoveAndSew', where I systematically select the edges that I want to have joined, leaving the least important edge(s) open.

Hope that helps!
  • Vendetti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah, that sounds interesting, especially that move and sew option.
    i use 3ds max and for manual unwrapping i use the unfold mapping option to get even maps and then stitch them manually into position. at least i use this method for easy and hard surface models. i tried zbrush too but im not that good at painting within that program.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I completely forgot about this game despite playing it all the time as a kid. Looks great man, good job!
  • Vendetti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you =)

unwrapped the tv, pushing my handpainting skills a little bit.

gy52.jpg
  • Vendetti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calling this done fpr its purpose.
    since its mosty front viewed at a distance (2d platform) i dont need to make fine details for the sides.

whadda you folks think? :)

w6uq.jpg
  • Vendetti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made a Tileable Wall Frame
    3 Models, a line, a corner and a link making it possible to make borders

6naq.jpg
  • Vendetti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im running a little out of time so im currently touching up the Leveldesign. placing details and stuff. hope the polycount wont be over the top..

thats why ive been experimenting with extreme low poly models, as shown here with the skull. very lazy work this time, just testing. still need to put in details and proper texture.

ygup.jpg
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    It still reads as a skull of some sort to me, so that's good. If you have time left over after getting everything else done it might be worth it to go back and touch up some tiny props that were rushed more such as this, though.
  • Vendetti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    indeed, when i get some more time i will redo most of the assets :)
  • Vendetti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made some Leveldesign.
    Also started learning to animate. Heres my first animation:

what do you folks think`?

6uk.gif
  • Vendetti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Changed the border in the back and added grass

s1sv.jpg
  • Vendetti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On to detailing the level. made some more skulls

ldf1.jpg
  • Thaurdol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thaurdol polycounter lvl 7
    The idle animation needs a lot of work. Your character overall is moving way too much and too fast, the tail is the only piece that could stay like that but slower. Also you need to understand that feet dont move like that without lifting them up unless you are on ice or something equally slippery. Slow your animation down and dont over over exaggerate your movement, some exaggeration is good but this is over the top imo.
  • Vendetti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you for your critique :)

yes indeed, the animations is too fast, still it it my first try and i will redo the whole thing when im a little more experienced ;)
    also, with the moving/slippery feet animation, i dont know why its moving because in maya the animation looks fine without feet moving >_>

maybe something went wrong while importing into Unity ..
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    I'm gonna assume you're using an ik solver for the legs in maya and then you just export the animation into unity as is expecting the same result in unity.
    all animations in unity are fk unless you add ik solvers to joints, it's amazing your feet are as planted as they actually are..
    what you need to do - in your animation file, is to bake the animation on the joints, then delete everything in the scene except for the joints (even the character, all you need are the joints) and then import it into unity again.
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NomadSoul2501 polycounter lvl 10
    select the joints on your rig and edit>keys>bakesimulation
    that will transfer all the animation from your rig to the fk skeleton
    you can also set a checkmark in your fbx exporter.

Also, check in unity under animation compression. That can cause some jitteryness as well.
  • Vendetti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you for your advice :)
    i'll test it now

otherwise, ive made some progress with detailing the level:

d3qi.jpg
  • Vendetti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added background models and floating debris

95js.jpg
  • Vendetti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made a Menu Scene

lz5z.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Vendetti wrote: »
    Made some Leveldesign.
    Also started learning to animate. Heres my first animation:

what do you folks think`?

6uk.gif

That's how I idle when I am just standing around too.
  • Vendetti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I already changed the idle animation ^^
  • Vendetti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added title and gameover screens with menues
    ive found out that you can add dynamic shadows within the directional light in unityfree.
    made the platforms move and added lives. yet i have to add an proper gui with a collectible counter.
    i also set an respawn point near the waterholes at the end of the level. (screens maybe later)

so, what do you folks think`? =)

u7ai.jpg
  • Vendetti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally managed to script a coincounter system.

zwjx.jpg
  • Vendetti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been learning javascript for a while, made a GUI and popup texts
    also scripted alot, like unlocking levelexit by picking up the remote or fallout respawns.
    need to model the levelexit tvscreen, add music and sound effects and its finished :D

ttds.jpg
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    I think you need to think more about readability and contrast between game-play space and the environment.

gex-1.png

At the moment, your screenshots are very dark compared to the original so it might be worth kicking up the lighting first of all.
    Then I'd suggest bringing in that contrast by making the foreground area textures that little bit brighter, like in the original.

A good thing to remember is that a diffuse texture is what colour the object will be when fully lit.
    If you have an almost black texture it doesn't matter how much light you shine on it, the object will still look dark.

It's coming along nicely though, and it's pretty impressive that you're doing all the scripting too :)
  • Vendetti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the critique =)
    i've placed some more lights at the front.
    also, thank you for the advice at diffuse textures, i'll keep that in mind :)

im currently working at composing the music, but i fail at getting the right mood. i need something in between cartoonmusik and dark-ambient music. oh well, i think i'll just keep the original for now. >_>

wfot.jpg