Home Contests & Challenges Archives

VG Remix - Riven

Long time no see!

(hold for laughter)
..No? okay!

I'm going to make the starting island of Riven, Temple Island I have learned that it's called.

Got some blocking in yesterday night.
Block_001.jpg

Using this as a map reference, and of course the game running on the second monitor. So question is, will I finish this diorama or just end up playing the game a little too much...

It's just gonna be a straight up classic diorama, I was thinking of having the maglev running around it... ideas ideas...

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    this is great, one of my favorite game series of all time.
  • Longchank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated blockout, in sketchfaboulus mode!

[SKETCHFAB]4698bd6369ef4796ae4291c81e4d0028[/SKETCHFAB]

I'm going to handpaint the textures, because I could use the practice in painting textures and props.
    For a specific style... i'dont know. I was just thinking this would be a great starting of point to get some more practice in with painting.

Tomorrow ill give an update on style, mood, look and feel of the diorama.
  • PacoCasares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PacoCasares polycounter lvl 11
    OMG RIVEN *dies of awesome*
    What is the remix element you are going to do?
  • Longchank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The remix element, I had some difficulty getting a good idea. Or at least something that would work with lowpoly/low texture size. But most important something that would be fun and in the range of the deadline. I don't want to chew to big piece of the cake...wait...cake? Yes! Cake!

The remix element will be cake, I'm gonna try and make it look like a cake. Marsipans, candies, choclates, ice creams...

Will make a plan for how and what evrything will be this weekend.
    In the mean time, here is some inspiration.
  • Longchank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update Wooo!

So the plan is to make it look like a cake.

plan.jpg

There are still somethings I'm currently thinking about.
    For instance, what the bridges might be. Any thoughts?

And the starting area, with the knife and cage. Was thinking the knife could be a cake-knife/spatula. Don't know yet on the cage though...

Here is the current version, I'm working on the glaze, and going to start with the parts under the glaze soonish.

update1.jpg

Looking at it now, it feels like a lot of stuff won't register when they are so small. So will scale up the small parts more, like for instance the entrances that are made out of wafers, the wafer texture is just...unrecognizable.

Feel free to feedback, the more the merrier!
  • minorthreat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    minorthreat polycounter lvl 7
    XD The cake idea just blew this to a new level of awesome. Can't wait to see how this turns out.
  • Longchank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Going on a date...an update!

update2.jpg

update21.jpg

Working on the dome at the moment, trying to get the marsipan texture in order.
    The wafer entrences look a wee bit better, but I feel that it's too bright and not working with the rest of the scene.

The base sediment texture is quite blurry, but I think this is because of mayas rendering. Will do a sketchfab update tomorrow.

Thanks!
  • haZe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haZe greentooth
    Pleeeease tell me you made the dagger a cake knife!

You could probably get away with mirroring the dome texture to save some space, unless you are going for a two-tone topper [and if there were waffles inside you'd win forever]. If you could also turn off texture filtering in your Maya texture/viewport settings, I think we'd all like to see those sweet, sweet pixels.
  • Longchank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So there is sugar all over the computer, but i made an update!

update3.jpg
    update31.jpg

Turned off the texture filtering, did not know you could do that. Thanks haZe for that.
    Ye the cake-knife thingy, my first idea was this but then i found this baby and i think this is more knifey.

But for now, i have lowered the texture sizes. So more delicious pixels..or wait..less?
  • haZe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haZe greentooth
    I'd stick with something close to the original dagger's design, or else the effect may be lost on anyone who's a fan. It got a laugh out of me!

I like the marzipan topping! I was a little worried when I saw the AO but I like the bit of color you've added. Adding a highlight up top [or at least a top-down gradient] would really make it pop, I think.

Can you share your textures? It seems like you could be tiling a bit more on the rock/cake walls to increase the texel density. Also your seams on the glaze are evident now with the filtering off and could use a little love...

Keep it up!
  • JuanG3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I played Riven long time ago, and I was able to finish it (huge effort). Very original, this cake version.
  • Longchank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heyoo

Ye making the cake-dagger more like the riven dagger was more fun, and made the cake more Riven.

EDIT: Fixed the sketchfab zip problem, thanks to the FAQ thread. [SKETCHFAB]42df915b6ed740488cd214102d077517[/SKETCHFAB]

Either way, better images then nothing!
    update4.jpg

And a texture sheet!

textures.jpg

Ye i might change it up a bit to a make the roads and the cake base tilable. The seams are one of the last things ill fix before uploading.
  • Longchank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One last update before the big final