Home Contests & Challenges Archives

VG Remix – A Link to the Past

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
GragGunslinger polycounter lvl 7
I plan on doing A Link to the Past. I want to replicate the phantom hourglass/wind waker style and proportions of the props and scenery and I want to challenge myself by doing all hand painted/pixel textures. We'll see where this goes!

Specifically, I want to do the graveyard north of Hyrule castle from the Light world in aLttP. It's also called the "Hyrule Cemetery."

Stay tuned for moodboards and concept stuff~!

Replies

• specsowl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    specsowl polycounter lvl 6
    Well this sounds interesting, and no doubt gearing up your interest for both WWHD and LTtP 2 haha. I'll be watching this
  • linz1010
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My all time favorite game!
  • GragGunslinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OKAY SO UPDATES.

For some context, the area I'm doing is an extrapolation of this scene in A Link to the Past:
    9sgFlrn.png

In this style: iMZZq1n.jpg

With this character [If time permits, I may do Link, but I highly doubt this.]
    uNO7MoK.png

The pedestal for the diorama is going to be the pedestal of the Master Sword from aLttP. As seen here:
    Q5m26LV.png

I did an extreml simple block of the scene and how I want to place everything here:
    sF5sZGB.png

I'm not 100% sure that the stairs for the pedestal will work, if the don't I'll just cut them out and have it be completely self enclosed.

There are a few things that I am concerned about and I'm going to list them here:

-I've never worked with a texture budget that was this small, so I'm interested to see how this works. I also plan to try and limit my texture calls as much as possible.
    -I'm concerned about the lack of opacity maps, this will be difficult, to do the typical grass planes seen in Zelda, but I will persevere!
    -Similarly with trees.

I'm sure there are other things that I'm forgetting which will be an issue, but I'll post about them when I run into it!

Cheers everyone!
  • GragGunslinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update!

I've been doing some of this while lunch crunching, and some of it is still at home, so I'ts not all here.

But this is a small chunk of the environment that I have done!

[SKETCHFAB]6ad31797e2714edda13d5cfdcf10bf69[/SKETCHFAB]

PS: Does anyone know how to get sketchfab to auto display the black background?
  • GragGunslinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here we go!

[SKETCHFAB]e8c2b73c01b14ce086b2aab549ffa8c1[/SKETCHFAB]

ZeldaShot_01.png
    ZeldaShot_02.png
    ZeldaShot_03.png