Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

AKS74u hard surface practice!

Hey guys! I've been trying to get better at hard surface modelling for some time and spent some time modelling the aks47u. Was a lot harder than I expected and took a lot longer than expected due to accuracy issues etc. Could really use some crits and feedback on the hp to make this better before I proceed to lp/bake :)

AKS74umainbackground.png
AKS74u2.png
AKS74u3.png
aks74uviewport1.PNG
aks74uviewport2.PNG

Thanks guys, appreciate all the tutorials and members of this community, have really helped me learn so much, don't know where I would be without polycount :)

Replies

• VinceDuong
    Woah! Its looking really good man. keep it up!
  • Mr Digital
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Digital polycounter lvl 8
    Super! it looks very soft in most edges, and very accurate imo, keep it up!
  • Stoy79
    Offline / Send Message
    Stoy79 polycounter lvl 3
    51eb425e59b2b.jpg

1. The charging handle should be taller - it's shorter on the AKS74U (compared to a standard AK74), but it's not so small.
    2. This part is supposed to lock the compensator in place, but here it doesn't even touch it. Also, you should rotate the compensator 90 degrees on its axis - the cuts at the tip are supposed to be on both sides, not top and bottom.
    3. The front of the mag looks way too thin. Looks rather like a single stack mag.
    4. That part should be slightly larger than the trigger guard.
    5. The rear sling attachment is mounted on a pivot.

6. Looks too close to the receiver cover - in practice, probably wouldn't unlock if it was so close.

Also, I don't see any ribs on the top of the cover - don't forget these, if you haven't modeled them yet.

The rest looks nicely done. Maybe just check the width of the receiver - I suspect it may be a bit too thin. Other than that, good work. :)

Here's a picture, illustrating most of what I meant:
    aks-74u_2_of_8.jpg

Here's also the full gallery, for further reference:
    http://www.primeportal.net/armory/roman_stepanov/aks-74u/
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Overall i think its pretty good. I just have some gripes with edge widths(some too tight) and edge consistency. In both shape, And width. Not major things by any means, And this peice would likely bake fine (after relaxing a few edges) but, I'm always looking for room to polish in my own projects, So, A few example of what I mean:

C2Gg6d.png
  • Stormfreek
    Thanks so much for the crit guys! Slowly moving through all of it, having a bit of a roadblock trying to create the insets at the top of the dust cover that I missed, posted the problem in the how to model dem shapes thread, so hopefully I can get some guidance and post the updates here!

Again thanks guys!
  • Stormfreek
    Went through and hardened some edges and tried to get some things closer to reference. Fixed a few things such as the indents on the top and made it a bit more chunkier. Ready for any more feedback :)

Aks74u.png
    Aks74u2.png
    aks74uviewport2.PNG
    aks74uviewport3.PNG

Got to fix some stuff up such as the pivot for the rear sling attachement.

@Stoy79, I can't seem to find whats wrong with number 4, it seems fine on my references.

Thanks guys! Keep the crit coming!
  • Stoy79
    Offline / Send Message
    Stoy79 polycounter lvl 3
    Number 4 isn't a huge issue, it's just that you've modeled it the same width as the trigger guard and it needs to be slightly larger. It indeed isn't very obvious when seeing it in from the side, though. Here are a few pictures showing what I meant from a more appropriate angle:

http://www.riflegear.com/howto/raddlock-ak/step4_large.jpg
    http://www.truckparts411.com/_private/ak/ak_lock_left.jpg
  • Stormfreek
    Stoy79 wrote: »
    Number 4 isn't a huge issue, it's just that you've modeled it the same width as the trigger guard and it needs to be slightly larger. It indeed isn't very obvious when seeing it in from the side, though. Here are a few pictures showing what I meant from a more appropriate angle:

http://www.riflegear.com/howto/raddlock-ak/step4_large.jpg
    http://www.truckparts411.com/_private/ak/ak_lock_left.jpg

Got it, thanks man, will do the final corrections and post my final high poly !
  • Stormfreek
    Right did a few more corrections, someone noted to me that the handguard had to much separation between each other! If there are no more obvious issues then I shall proceed to lp this!

AKS74u.png
    AKS74u2.png
    aks74uviewport2.PNG
    aks74uviewport3.PNG

Now I think of it, I think the back of the stock needs a little bit more accuracy before I continue.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Looking good! Can't wait to see how this progresses.
  • jonincgi
    B.E.A.utiful...Any tips or tuts on hard surface for guns would be greatly appreciated!
  • Stormfreek
    jonincgi wrote: »
    B.E.A.utiful...Any tips or tuts on hard surface for guns would be greatly appreciated!

No expert here but following reference and taking your time is what I think is best :)

Long time no see! Been having a few hiccups, but got this baked and started texturing!

I have an though, and I hope someone can help me here!

Creating edge scratches and visible uv seams, that blend together. Is this even possible? How is this approached?

Without further ado pictures :)

Bakes, first in marm and second in ce3:

screenshot0.png
    bakece3.png

Texture WIP in marmoset.

texturewipak3.png

Heavy WIP, and I am struggling a lot to create the metal that the aks has, which seems to be fairly oily. Also will get this set up in ce3 asap :)

Sits at roughly 8k tris which is a bit high, but I am not too fussed as I'm not trying to break any records!
  • KnechtRuprecht
    Offline / Send Message
    KnechtRuprecht polycounter lvl 6
    Nice start! Maybe i would tone down the saturation on the wood a bit.
    For a nice oily looking metal, create some random color blobs, smear them with the liquify tool, adjust saturation and brightness and overlay it into the specmap. This seems to work nicely.
    Like this:
    3wLUmcH.jpg
  • CougarJo
    Offline / Send Message
    CougarJo polycounter lvl 6
    Nice start, and clean bake :)

KnechtRuprecht interesting tip, I'll try it!
  • Stormfreek
    Nice start! Maybe i would tone down the saturation on the wood a bit.
    For a nice oily looking metal, create some random color blobs, smear them with the liquify tool, adjust saturation and brightness and overlay it into the specmap. This seems to work nicely.
    Like this:
    3wLUmcH.jpg

Will do! And that is a great technique, will try it asap!

@CougarJo, Thanks man :)
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Just thouight i'd repost my crydev post in case you missed it cause you were talking about the mag:)
    Yeah, no problem, I plan to dump more. Also that is a bakelite mag, it's plumb too which is hard to find but here is a picture I found.
    plum1.jpg?t=1211888924
    Google search bakelite mag for more pictures, most are orange. You can tell if it a real bakelite by the symbol on the base of the mag denoting what factory it was made at. I found this which should help, it helped me too lol. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakelite

Also remember guns have something called bluing, its not paint.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluing_(steel)
  • Stoy79
    Offline / Send Message
    Stoy79 polycounter lvl 3
    Google search bakelite mag for more pictures, most are orange
    If you're googling for "bakelite mags", you'll get mostly orange ones, indeed. :)Because plum, black (etc...) mags are polymer (ABS plastic, to be exact), not bakelite. If you're looking for these, you should rather google for "plum" or "polymer" mags.
    You can tell if it a real bakelite by the symbol on the base of the mag denoting what factory it was made at
    The logo only tells you who the manufacturer is, nothing else; star = Tula, arrow in triangle = Izhevsk, 10 in two concentric circles = Arsenal Bulgaria, etc...

Here's a quite thorough reference reference source, if anyone's interested : http://home.comcast.net/~shooter2_indy/ak74_mag_guide.html

Anyway, about your model - it's mostly good, but the charging handle is still tiny, contrarily to the mag, which looks huge... Also, why did you change the sidefolder hinge? :poly134: It was correct in the first place, now it looks weird. Same goes for the back of the receiver cover.