Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Kend's Sketchbook

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Kend greentooth
UPDATE

v0l0.jpg

Kend's SketchBook

Hello everyone my name is Ken and this going to be my Sketchbook hopefully showcasing my journey to becoming a creature/character artist. I've always wanted to make creatures/ characters for movies or Cinematics, and I really enjoy and love doing it but ive realized it is not a easy journey getting there so hopefully with helpful crits and motivation.

So here is a WIP of a creature Ive been working on, I'm hoping for the next update to have the fine detail, pose and colour in there. So what u guys think?

o0v6.jpg

Replies

• Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    UPDATE:

So the demon ive been working is coming along GREAT! biggrin2.gif Im really happy with this. So ive gotten the base colors down and the base details down. Right now I'm trying to figure out a good color scheme for him once I figure out what colors i want for his skin then I will move onto the fine detail and the fine texture details.

PLS CRIT THX biggrin2.gif

jhs1.jpg
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I like the face, but I keep wondering what the PURPOSE of this character is?

As well, isn't there a sketchbook section of the Polycount forum already>
  • Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Oh crap I didnt know there was a sketchbook section, Ive seen sketchbooks in this section of the forum before so I thought it would be okay, My bad.

Hes like a Gatekeeper Demon, One that would guard the entrance into a dungeon or Hell itself and chuck your ass in their lol, its just the bust im doing I might do the full character, but he kind of like a boss you'd have to beat to get to the objective.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If it helps, google Barthalow's Inferno. Lots of strong, and actually realtively unique art perspectives on Hell.
  • Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    I think his name is actually Barlowe, But WOW hes amazing i'm definately gonna look into adding some of his style into my Demon. Thanks for mentioning him. :D
  • Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Update Pls Crit :D

Ok so Ive refined a bunch of things and now im working in the details, I havent decided whether or not im doing a full character

75oq.jpg
  • Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
  • Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    I was trying to make him into like a paled skin gatekeeper demon in hell, but ya the shapes and details I tried to capture feel like a shark...... i dont know if i like that or how I should continue...
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What's the "plan?"
  • Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Alright heres a update on my demon.

STILL A WIP

m5g3.jpg

gxoe.jpg

Still have to detail all of the muscles and such right now just getting silouhette down, also as for the stomach it will have a inner row of teeeth with tongue coming out of it.
  • Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    JadeEyePanda - The plan is for him to be a demon.
  • Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    OH Crap!! my Bad forgot to change update pic at top of forum lol

PLS crit :D

I trying to get some people opinion on the overall design so far
  • Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    v0l0.jpg

Ok so have been really looking at the approach I took to this Project and I've decided to reflect on some mistakes ive made.

1. Planning And Sticking with the plan.
    So when I started this off i planned on doing just a bust, and all my thumbnails and sketches I drew were geared towards that, and the reference i collected was also geared towards that, and after I finished the bust I decided to do the whole thing HOWEVER I did not lay a plan out for that I just went with little reference and no plan, What did that result in? Procrastination, hesitation to do certain parts, and finding it difficult to commit to certain aspects of the model.

2. PROCRASTINATION
    I really need to force myself to just sit down and do it and fully commit. I find I procrastinate the most when I hit a roadblock and I'm afraid if I work through it the wrong way and screw up.

3. Stick with it to the end
    There was several Moments during this project where I would hit roadblocks and would feel like jumping ship, But i have to force myself to stay through till the end.

As for the updates on the project I've decided to make this into a bust i think this is the best plan of action. I Have more details to add in terms of fine detail skin detail and of course more fine texturing.

Pls crit and give me advice thank :D
  • Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Any Crits??? Pretty please I could rlly use them