Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bernini's David Sculpt (image heavy)[wip]

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
KristaW polycounter lvl 9
Hey,
So we have an assignment to make a Zbrush sculpt based off of a Renaissance artist for our Adv. Figure Sculpture class. Our teacher is having us post our progress along the way on a forum like Polycount or Zbrush Central, so here it is.
I am doing Bernini's David and so far I have collected references, created a base mesh, and deconstructed the figures silhouette/planes/and musculature.
During this process critique is always welcome.

The references

0hw7.jpg

Here is the unfinished ecorche:

qk52.jpg

And the silhouette, pose, and planes:

vq6.png

Replies

• KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, my base mesh I made last week did not make the cut. My teacher recommended that I use the NickZ base mesh from zbrush to continue on with the assignment and I agree. I need to work on building base meshes swiftly or have some pre-built in the future.

But here is the NickZ mesh that I built a zspjere rig in and posed. I then went over and sculpted in major anatomical forms.

As always critique and suggestions are always welcome.

to7q.jpg
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Tough sculpture to pick! Also, technically Bernini is baroque : ) Will be interesting to see how it turns out : )
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Snefer, did I say say Renaissance? >.< haha opps. It has been a tough sculpt. The pose is fairly twisty and dynamic and I'm definitely struggling to do this great sculpt justice.

Here is my next pass. I actually started over and reposed it because the first pose wasn't very balanced and I screwed up the face. I also blocked in a lot more with this pass like the hair and cloth and this next week I will start refining everything. There are parts of his pose that are still bothering me. My sculpt doesn't feel as dynamic as Bernini's and the somehow I got the distance between the hands too far apart. I definitely have a lot of work ahead of me this week to pull this off.

w475.jpg
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey polycounters. So This sculpt is due on Monday and I'm down to the last 20% polish. At this point I don't think I am going to wrestle with the pose anymore unless its anatomically incorrect. Next thing I'm going to work on is the hands, feet, and hair. and then I'm going to give a real good pass over everything else. Let me know what you guys think and any advice for giving it that last push is welcome. Also I will take all critique. If it's something I can apply this late in the sculpt I will try. If the critique is something more fundamental I will take it on board next time I sculpt :)

htsg.jpg

2cov.jpg
  • CJE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CJE polycounter lvl 13
    Dear lord what is happening in that last picture...
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Better than I could ever do, your paint over of muscles is cool.
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @CJE heh, yea I was creating a closeup layout, that happened, and I couldn't resist.

@pixelpatron, thanks! And I'm glad you like the ecorche because I spent too much time on it for the assignment requirements. That detailing in that ecorche is probably why my base mesh didn't turn out very well >.<
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, worked several hours on the final polish pass. I almost like it more before the polish pass but oh well, here it is finished. Let me know what you guys think!

m5ca.jpg

7yqc.jpg