Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Spaceship Interior

CURRENT SCENE PROGRESS-

SNMAfky.jpg

FEuHl32.jpg

skwU8Vo.jpg

aFdATp0.jpg

Hello all, it's been a short while but I'm back with another environment project. I'm using this concept (with permission, of course) from Viktor Jonsson-

hpTRYGj.jpg

I've made three pieces so far. Lowpoly shots are in Marmoset, highpoly and wires in Maya.

n4haqI9.jpg

aLtAvQL.jpg

kG5Ylko.jpg

PU2bxML.jpg

v9T8xr9.jpg

zMc3376.jpg

hyy6x78.jpg

rQxCmfo.jpg

bEm5IzA.jpg

And here's a shot of the whiteboxed scene in UDK.

gOaOv6P.jpg

From here, I'm probably going to start in on more wall pieces first, finish all those before moving onto the floor. As always, C&C are welcome and appreciated. Thanks for looking!

Replies

• sipher3325
    Oh man this is awesome, keep it coming.
  • Radiocity
    aLtAvQL.jpg

Very nice work !

Is it possible if you explain a little bit your Workflow the way you added the Details ? Or is this made by hand :poly142:
  • Chandler
    sipher: Thanks dude!

Radiocity: Well, since this is all hard surface stuff, I just use Maya to create the highpoly. It is done by hand as you say, but I do a lot of cloning and reuse of detail pieces to make the process faster. (For example, with the wires I create 3 or 4 of them, then clone those and use soft selection to alter their shapes.) My process for creating them is pretty standard- just starting with a primitive and adding edge loops and extrusions until it's the shape I want. Most of the detail is floating geometry, not actually connected to the base mesh, and that makes it easier too since you don't have to worry about edge flow or anything. Thanks!
  • Radiocity
    Cool thanks :)

Have to say I love such whiteboxed scenes it remindes me of the game Mirrow Edge :))

Also your First picture ist just perfect
  • Count Vader
    Offline / Send Message
    Count Vader polycounter lvl 12
    Nice, I was gonna do this concept for a portfolio project but ended up picking something smaller scale since I wasn't sure how to approach certain elements of the scene (such as the interior of that 'booth' in the foreground) or the space suit. Anyways I look forward to seeing where this goes, looks great so far.

My one question - are you supposed to obtain permission to use concept art for portfolio scenes? I didnt know that
  • Chandler
    Yeah, I still haven't quite figured out those problems myself- I'll probably just omit the space suit entirely. As for obtaining permission for concepts, it's just a courtesy thing, not for any legal reasons or anything, and you don't have to. I always do it just because I feel that even though I'm creating something entirely separate, the idea is still theirs. Besides, a lot of times they're really excited to hear that somebody's using their art. :) Thanks a lot!
  • Count Vader
    Offline / Send Message
    Count Vader polycounter lvl 12
    Heh fair enough, thanks for clearing that up!
  • neilberard
    Offline / Send Message
    neilberard polycounter lvl 17
    Looks great man! Keep going!
  • SpeedyB
    I've been waiting for someone to tackle this concept. Looking cool so far.
  • Clark Coots
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
  • R00
    Offline / Send Message
    R00 polycounter lvl 12
    Looking good so far. I will definetly be watching this one :) *Subscribed*
  • Chandler
    @neilberard, SpeedyB, coots7, & polycrunch- Thanks, guys!

Ugh, it's been over a month, I'm so ashamed. :poly138: I've had a lot going on lately, not the least of which being my computer crapping out on me. I'm going to try to update more frequently from here on.

I've got a few new assets, I made the glowing cabinet-freezer thing from the concept and did a couple variations on the wall piece-

pTBHHVD.jpg

2PFFFEq.jpg

And here's the blockout so far, still haven't really touched lighting yet and if things look distorted or too far away from the camera, it's because I cranked up the FOV to try to match the concept's composition as closely as possible- it's looking like I won't be able to faithfully recreate it in UDK, it's just too wide. Not such a big problem though, since I'm building the environment to be viewable from any angle, not just the one in the concept.

ftl08sP.jpg

Thanks for looking, more wall pieces comin' up.
  • Esselle
    Offline / Send Message
    Esselle polycounter lvl 10
    woa, this is so nice!
  • Dazz3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Dazz3r polycounter lvl 12
    Absolutely love this :)
  • TheQuietPotato
    Very impressive pieces so far. Really like your attention to detail.
  • MeshModeler
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshModeler polycounter lvl 11
    subd :D love the consistency between the pieces..

are you using ddo by any chance?
  • Thaurdol
    Offline / Send Message
    Thaurdol polycounter lvl 7
    I like the style and colors of this scene! Also try adding some height variation to the ceiling :)
  • Chandler
    Esselle, Dazz3r, & TheQuietPotato- Thanks!

MeshModeler- That easy to tell, is it? :P This is the first time I've used dDo, and I really like it. It's sped up my texturing process immensely, and I generally get good results.

Thaurdol- I do plan on it, that's why I've left a bunch of empty space near the top. The concept has a lot of hanging panels, pipes, etc. up there that I'll be putting in eventually. Thanks!
  • MeshModeler
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshModeler polycounter lvl 11
    The worn edges give it away :P
    id say go into the masks and give them more variety. You should be modifying your textures after ddo as to not give it away
  • CandyStripes05
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    Chandler wrote: »
    2PFFFEq.jpg

Very impressive.
  • RILKE
    Offline / Send Message
    RILKE polycounter lvl 12
    Love everything about this.Great attention to detail, strong design, inspiring work.
    Keep up the great work!
  • Subtle 1rony
    Offline / Send Message
    Subtle 1rony polycounter lvl 10
    really liking how clean it looks(despite the wear you have in the textures).

May I ask, regarding your texturing process, does each of your pieces have its own material and custom texture, or are you using a single material for multiple different pieces?
  • JamesArk
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesArk polycounter lvl 10
    "Fuck this looks good" - what I just said out loud. Loving this so far, keep it up :thumbup:
  • oobersli
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    it all looks pretty good. i just think that its a tad flat. i mean in your low poly. You're essentially baking to flat planes all these interesting panels that could use a bit more geo to really give it all more depth.
  • Chandler
    CandyStripes05, RILKE, & JamesArk- Thanks guys!

MeshModeler- Yeah, I definitely agree. There were a few spots that I considered touching up even before I posted this, like the edges of those metal doors, but in my haste I forgot to do it. I gotta be careful, it's really tempting to get lazy with dDo, haha. I'll do another pass on my textures and tone down the wear a bit. Thanks a lot!

Subtle 1rony- I used either one or two textures for each, depending on the piece. Things like the door and the freezer, that weren't too complicated and took up a small part of the wall, have one texture-

cMxjKlk.jpg

And the more complicated ones used two textures, for example the gateway was split into the front and back parts, and the window/vent pieces were split into the wall section and the floor section-

DTCWee4.jpg

All textures are 2048s in my Marmoset shots, but for UDK I brought them down to 1024.

oobersli- I've been debating how to handle some of the details. My reasoning for using so much normal detail as opposed to actual geometry on the low poly was that a lot of these pieces are going to be cloned around the environment, so I didn't want the polycounts to climb too high just for the wall pieces. (For example, the piece I posted today on the left is at 3,258 tris) But since it's noticeable, I think I'll go back and model out some of the more prominent panels and details. Thanks for the feedback!
  • Subtle 1rony
    Offline / Send Message
    Subtle 1rony polycounter lvl 10
    Awesome, thanks for the explanation. Got this subbed so I can keep an eye on it!
  • Chandler
    So I took oobersli's advice and modeled out some of the more prominent details of my current lowpoly meshes, which definitely helped-

A2nYtVr.jpg

As for new stuff, I made the connecty-pieces for up top-

39Cq4OP.jpg

and I also modeled the inside of the little room from the concept, as well as the inside of this doorway (I envision it as an elevator)-

RLXUN8H.jpg

Here's the scene as it stands right now.

FEuHl32.jpg

The seams between the connector pieces and the other objects are kind of bothering me right now, and I'm not quite sure how to go about fixing them. I think it's just kind of an unavoidable thing due to the way lightmaps work in UDK, in which case I'll have to add some kind of texture detail there to obscure the seam. If anyone has any other suggestions on how to fix this, I'd appreciate it.

Probably going to be adding more modular wall pieces next, there's still a lot of blank walls in the scene that you can't really see from this angle and I ought to start filling them up. Thanks for looking!
  • J0NNYquid
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    This is coming along so nicely, can't wait to see the end result.
  • Chandler
    @JONNYquid- Thanks dude!

So, I lied last time. No modular wall pieces yet really, I got distracted by more highpoly stuff. I've got this big room to fill so I'm making a few things to help it feel less empty.

qJaS10U.jpg

Tu4vDKt.jpg

skwU8Vo.jpg

I've got one or two more big assets to do for this room, THEN I'm on to the wall pieces. Everything after will be considerably less complicated... I'm moving a bit too slow on this, and I'd like to finish before end of year if I can. Thanks for looking!
  • serriffe
    Offline / Send Message
    serriffe polycounter lvl 9
    awesome start man- I like this one, nicely done

qJaS10U.jpg
  • Theodoric
    Offline / Send Message
    Theodoric polycounter lvl 10
    Really nice work, can't wait to see more!
  • Mathis
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathis polycounter lvl 11
    Looking real great, can't wait to see further progress.
  • Strkl
    Offline / Send Message
    Strkl polycounter lvl 7
    Awesome stuff !

I agree with oobersli, you could add a bit more geometry on some stuff, a lot of the high poly detail are lost, too bad since they're pretty neat
  • locater16
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16 polycounter lvl 8
    Very nice, I'd consider replacing all the ugly black from the concept with white. It might just be placeholder, but it already looks better than the black. Reminds me of the excellent concepts from Hardware: Shipbreakers (I think there's supposed to be a Homeworld in there now)

254130-hardwareheader.jpg
  • Parth
    Offline / Send Message
    Parth polycounter lvl 10
    Looks really cool. I love your textures. Are you using Ddo?
  • ToffeeApple
    Offline / Send Message
    ToffeeApple polycounter lvl 8
    This is really good - I was a big fan of your Temple Scene and this looks like you are stepping it up - your high poly work and textures are even better! Can't wait to see more.
  • Chandler
    serriffe, Theodoric, Mathis- Thanks guys!

Strkl- Don't know if you saw, I went back and modeled some more geometry for some of my lowpoly pieces in post #28. I'm not sure I want to make them any higher poly than that since most of them are just wall pieces that are going to be cloned around. If there's something specific that you think I should be adding to, let me know and I can fix it! Thanks!

locater16- Hmm, interesting. The white is indeed placeholder, I was planning to stick pretty closely to the concept and keep the dark ceiling, but I could try keeping the white and see how it compares as the environment gets more finished. I definitely like the look of those Hardware concepts. Thanks!

Parth- Yes sir, I'm using dDo for every piece in this environment. I wanted to see what all the buzz was about, and it's definitely been giving me good results so far. Though it's way too tempting to cake on too much dirt and wear with it... It's definitely a program that requires restraint to use effectively. Thanks!

ToffeeApple- Hey, thanks! I'm surprised you remember, it's been such a long time already since I finished that. I need to really step up the speed on this project.

So I've only got a highpoly for you this week, I've been busy with an art test and other life stuff lately so I haven't had as much time to work on this as I'd like. I kind of designed this thing as I went along without a lowpoly in mind, which was a bad idea. I have the feeling that making a lowpoly for this thing will be a pain.

ajuZgAj.jpg

Thanks for looking!
  • Chandler
    Finished the lowpoly, and as expected it's embarrassingly high poly for a prop but I suppose that's what I get for making something with so many damn cylinders.

lZyypym.jpg

tlx72Ay.jpg

aFdATp0.jpg

kXV0eCE.jpg

As you can see, I'm having mad lightmap problems on this thing in UDK, (despite having no overlapping UVs, a high lightmap res, and lightmass set to production quality) so I'm going to see what I can do about that at some point. Lighting has been something that has gone pretty much untouched thus far, I'm planning do at least a basic lighting pass soon. But for now, I'm finally going to make myself get started on those walls and floors. Thanks for looking!
  • neilberard
    Offline / Send Message
    neilberard polycounter lvl 17
    Lookin great! Finish it!
  • Higuy
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    This stuff looks awesome. Thanks for showing the pictures how you do, I love seeing each model, especially the low poly.
  • ajr2764
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Well first off great work man. I was surprised to see this because I actually started on this environment last year but never finished it was still in the early process. I love this concept and that's why I also choose to do it. Its great to see how you've broken down meshes in the scene and some areas you choose to go a different route then what I had thought of at the time. Heres link of what I had started way back, had more progress then that but never got around to posting. http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105905.

Anyways I subscribed to this thread and look forward to seeing more, perhaps I'll finish this project in the near future.
  • Chandler
    neilberard- Thanks man, I know it's taking me a while but unfortunately it's looking to take me a while longer yet!

Higuy- Thanks, no problem. I find it really beneficial to show the wireframe, so that if anyone has a comment or critique on my model or my edge flow I can try to improve on it.

ajr2764- Wow, cool. A few people have mentioned that they were thinking about taking on this concept, I guess it's no surprise since it's a really interesting one, I've had a lot of fun with it so far. If you're gonna start up on your version again let me know, I'd like to see how you tackle it! (You'll probably even finish before me, seeing how slow I'm moving on it :P)

So, this is likely to be my last update for a while. I got an art test recently that I'm going to get started on, and soon after I finish that I'm going to be moving halfway across the country, which probably isn't going to leave much time for this. I'll try my best to update in the interim.

As for right now, I've got five of the floor panels done.

SNMAfky.jpg

Plan by the next update is to have all the floors finished and in the scene. Thanks for looking!
  • mark williams
    Offline / Send Message
    mark williams polycounter lvl 5
    I'm working on a similar project at the moment. Must check out dDo, it looks really handy.
    Great job on the modelling and textures so far.
    What are you using for baking your maps?
  • lamar McHaney
    Offline / Send Message
    lamar McHaney polycounter lvl 9
    Man, I don't know how to get my normal maps to look that good. How are you baking out your circular normals? Are going into photoshop and fixing them?
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    I think a few things you need to address:

1 the constant use of ddo
    2 all of your models seem to lack really anything more than primitive shapes.
    3 the models seem to have limited believably due to the above fact, one of the biggest things people seem to do wrong in scifi is just adding random shapes without any cohesion of thought to the design. It just doesn't seem functional.

4 a lot of your low polys have a really disproportionate polygon distribution, a lot of smaller shapes having way more than needed.

for some good inspiration look at http://www.peperaart.com/

obviously no one can be expected to be this good but his work makes good points visually and has a lot to draw off of in terms of reference. If you try and look at a lot of real life things and hint at functionality more, and make your shapes a little bit more interesting you'll find this scene looking much nicer and much less random.

I would also do a lighting pass and tone down that white texture everywhere so you can get a more close to final representation of what you'll be working with.

Hope this helps.
  • Dethling
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    Very nice stuff.
    Especially the baking is very nice done.