Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Help modeling past PS1 graphics?

JordanN
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
JordanN interpolator
So I've watched plenty of tutorials, and even visit the LOWPOLY stickied thread almost every day but I'm still stuck in the PS1 era of extreme blockiness. What's the secret to making meshes full of dense triangles to achieve a more realistic or respectable look?

I so far follow the standard procedure to modeling. I extrude, I use cut, I inset, but my models rarely exceed 200 polygons.

An example what I'm struggling with (note this model is old. I've since learned cylinders are not suppose to have triangles all over the place). This is suppose to be a Taxi but I'm not sure how to add more geometry to make it curved. I'm also not sure how to model intricate things like the vents.

Y7ZIRVx.png
oQBTIWU.jpg

Replies

• Wex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wex polycounter lvl 12
    Bevel edges to add geometry.

"Overflowing with triangles" is not a worthy goal. Focus on making every polygon count.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Wex wrote: »
    Bevel edges to add geometry.

"Overflowing with triangles" is not a worthy goal. Focus on making every polygon count.
    It was an exaggeration. I want to have every polygon count but I also want to be up to current/next gen standard (or have the ability to do it).
  • Wex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wex polycounter lvl 12
    Don't even think about doing high-poly work until you are comfortable manipulating triangles. You're holding yourself back by restricting your workflow to just extruding and cutting faces. Learn whichever tools are appropriate for the job and keep practicing; there's no "secret."
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 4
    Try studying low poly topology, there's a ton of examples when you search in google. You'll eventually get the hang of it. A good exercise is to paint topology over car images(or objects/characters) in photoshop.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Do you have a portfolio we can reference?
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Do you have a portfolio we can reference?
    I don't have a portfolio as in an actual website. I only have certain 3D files saved to my computer but apart from the Taxi I posted they're not impressive (they're mostly simple references that serve my drawing).

I also do alot of freestyle modeling where I model stuff but they don't get saved (because again, I don't know how to make non-PS1 looking objects so I don't usually keep them).
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    JordanN wrote: »
    and even visit the LOWPOLY stickied thread almost every day

Not sure how this helps haha. But surely you haven't watched that many tutorials out there, there's loads of organic stuff, even http://cg.tutsplus.com/ has plenty of free basic tutorials.

Maybe try something different, start modelling from a single plane to force yourself out of the "box" look... see http://vimeo.com/10941211
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    The first step would be to remove these diagonal edges - they prevent you from adding cuts within your existing 4-edges surfaces, which is the most fundamental way of adding detail to a polygonal model.
  • Notes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    Your scale and proportions are off from the taxi...the taxi looks like a Crown Victoria, google that + blueprints and import those images into your modeling program and build off of that.

Also, trace over the picture of the car.This way its easier to adjust your edge loops/quads before actually messing around with the model in 3d.
  • Snafubar7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snafubar7 polycounter lvl 8
    I agree with these replies. Also check your silhouette as you model (hit '7' in Maya, unless you've placed a light). You generally don't want any geometry that doesn't affect the silhouette.

As for the vents, I made this for you. It's probably not the only way to do it, but it took me maybe 2 minutes to do.

njitSDx.jpg

And then after you'll probably want to reduce all the unnecessary geo, this is quick and dirty. I know the vent was just an example of intricate stuff, but it shows that a lot of modeling is a puzzle game and coming up with solutions to problems, and then later on those same problems come back up and you'll spend maybe 1 minute on that problem instead of 1 hour.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Notes wrote: »
    Your scale and proportions are off from the taxi...the taxi looks like a Crown Victoria, google that + blueprints and import those images into your modeling program and build off of that.

Also, trace over the picture of the car.This way its easier to adjust your edge loops/quads before actually messing around with the model in 3d.
    I was making attempts at correcting the scale but I was using Wings 3D back then so it was kind of difficult.

I've since moved onto 3DS Max where the tools are much more powerful so I hope to take advantage of that now.

As for everyone else, thanks for the suggestions. I'm definitely going to try again with the Taxi soon and post back when I feel something needs improving.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    My advice would be to get your hands on Digital Tutor's intro to Maya/Max. Do exactly what they do, click for click. It isn't the most fun way to learn, but it'll give you a grasp of the basics.

I second what someone said earlier about studying low topology as well.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Alright, so I've gotten the Crown Victoria Blueprints and watched more tutorials. However, I think I learned more by hand drawing topology as Paololazatin suggested.

Can anyone comment if I'm on the right path? I've also taken into consideration about using quads over triangles.
    gksoHhP.jpg

Here's the unaltered image.
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    also if you don't know, learn about how smoothing groups work.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    I think you're on the right path; however, you should go more in depth with the topology.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Much better, your drawover doesn't look as boxy as before. You might just be on your way to PS2 graphics if you keep it up. Don't stop the edges, stick to quads (although in my experience, sometimes tris are fine, especially after you've checked for any pinching or texture stretching). To make your life easier, try to separate the parts of the car. They don't need to be one mesh. For example, the trunk lid can be one mesh, the bumper another, etc. This way, simpler objects can have less geometry, and more complex ones can have more faces/edges to properly get their shape.

also, as breakneck said, you have to learn about smoothing groups and edge flows. Might seem daunting at first, but you'll get the hang of it.

Also, since you're starting, get tons of references, not just one. Get a blueprint, get pictures from all sides and angles. BLueprints sometimes don't align, so you have to improvise and this is where other references come in handy.

oh and subscribe to this thread. It's what helped me with my car, and it's still helping me now. It's a loooooooooong thread, but it's time well spent. Doing screws, bolts, and other industrial parts will help you understand edgeflow, topology, and smoothing. Then you should have an easier time with your car.
  • sdmitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sdmitchell polycounter lvl 6
    The chamfer tool is your friend.

It's my friend.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    I'm still alive! However, I'm running into some problems.
    qT4ESgI.png
    RWCXGTX.png
    bOrOBAT.png
    yEFzk0l.png

If I can get these issues solved, I can continue on my path to modeling.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Were you able to figure this out? There seems to be a cut between the faces. Not sure how you modeled that, but if you want, you can send me the file and I'll take a look at it better. Send it as an obj please.
  • Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    Go into wireframe and drag select that vertex.

If you're moving something and it seems to create extra polygons, you probably had those polygons created some other way and didn't notice it since it was sitting right on top of another edge/poly. This can happen from a bad extrude where you didn't move the object you were extruding, or a myriad of other methods. Just be more careful.
  • Adij
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adij polycounter lvl 8
    remove the symmetry and then check what is wrong
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Significant polycounter lvl 11
    If it's Max when your polygon extrudes while it have to move, you have bugged "extrude" option. Select this polygon, click on the extrude settings in editable poly mode and cancel it by "X" button. Shoudld help.