Home Dota 2

7thWorkshop

Replies

• 7thBattery
    To kick things off, here is my current in-progress hook for Pudge.

I have reworked/am reworking a lot of things from what you see here. Blood/grime on everything, and a lot more blood on the blade overall. I have done more iterations on this item alone than maybe any other thing I've done except maybe my Broodmother set.

m2o5.jpg
  • kendmd
    Offline / Send Message
    kendmd polycounter lvl 5
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    7thBattery wrote: »
    To kick things off, here is my current in-progress hook for Pudge.

I have reworked/am reworking a lot of things from what you see here. Blood/grime on everything, and a lot more blood on the blade overall. I have done more iterations on this item alone than maybe any other thing I've done except maybe my Broodmother set.

m2o5.jpg

How did you go about doing those chains? They look great.

Also, congrats on the bow!
  • 7thBattery
    MdK wrote: »
    How did you go about doing those chains? They look great.

Also, congrats on the bow!
    Thank you both for the congrats. I'm going to uh, not comment on the bow until a chest ships....it's been a goal of mine for a while to get an item in a chest so I'm not about to jinx anything :)

The chains were a major learning experience. I made a subdivided chain model, put a joint in each link, and posed it wrapped around the shaft as my highpoly. That part was easier than I imagined it would be, but the lowpoly was much harder and more tedious. I did a test bake on my first pass at a lowpoly, which was basically just a fattened out cylinder, and the distortion ruined it completely. So for my next pass I made sure my lowpoly had a vert at each visible chain link corner (if that makes sense) and it wasn't too bad.

I ended up redoing it again and made the shaft and chain wrap mesh separate which helped the distortion even more. If people are interested I could make a detailed tut at some point.

Thanks guys :)
  • 7thBattery
    Hey guys,

Submitted my Pudge Hook last night, part of the monthly contest here. Lemme know what you think please :)

Grievous Grapnel by 7thBattery

268x268.resizedimage
  • kendmd
    Offline / Send Message
    kendmd polycounter lvl 5
    Looks good, but I think you can be a bit more considerate with the texture here

3BXOn.jpg
  • 7thBattery
    Ken,

Can you give me a little more info? It does look a bit like a sloppy mess, but then that is kinda what I was going for. At the same time, texturing is, I feel, my weakest area and am really eager to learn.
  • kendmd
    Offline / Send Message
    kendmd polycounter lvl 5
    Oh, sorry for being unclear. I feel that the texture gets too busy on just that particular part. In my opinion, it'll look better if the detail gets simplified.

The one you have here is a good balance to me.

m2o5.jpg
  • 7thBattery
    Hey guys,

Just submitted my Invoker Forge Spirit for the July Contest.

33C56A1BBD1FF1C46F68746D01E25FBD89F8A957

To be honest, I'm kinda at a loss for what to do with this guy. I submitted him without animations, but he's using the old forge spirit's skeleton so he should work with Valve's animations. I'm not sure whether I should chance just asking Valve to put their animations on him, or bite the bullet and try doing my own.

I'm also not able to post any in-game screens because I have no control over the fire effect that's on him (detail mask does nothing), and he looks, well, terrible with it on there.
  • Oroboros
    Well aside from all the rather gnarly technical details you've run into, I think your take on the forge spirits turned out really cool from a visual standpoint.
  • 7thBattery
    Oroboros wrote: »
    Well aside from all the rather gnarly technical details you've run into, I think your take on the forge spirits turned out really cool from a visual standpoint.
    Thank you very much Oroboros.

I think I am going to try my hand at animating him, and this morning I tried importing him as a courier to get around the overpowering effect the Forge Spirits have on them. I should be able to get some in-game pics and video that way...he just won't be able to attack :(
  • 7thBattery
    Hey guys,

Little update on my latest.

"Dragon Rifle" for Sniper for the August Contest.

3AA0C533FCE79574FD9256EE0BD5C35875479B3E

I think this will be my last entry into the contest for a while. I've been doing single items for months now, and even though it's a lot of fun, I've got an itching to do some sets I have ideas for. And for some reason it seems like it takes me 4 times as long to do a single item as it does for me to do an entire set o_O

:)
  • 7thBattery
    Latest submission:

I haven't had a ton of time for workshopping recently so I decided to do something easy, like hair.

Then I found out hair is not easy.

Then I spent a ton of time on it and finally just submitted :)

Hope you like:
    1207D0E7BB717B17755BA63994BE24BDECDCE10C
  • 7thBattery
    I feel a little self conscious doing this, since texturing is I feel my weakest skill; but someone asked if I could post my textures for the Windrunner piece. If anyone can learn anything from them, I guess it's worth doing :)jpxk.jpg

I really don't do anything at all special. I let the sculpt do almost all the work. If I did anything notable on these it's that I chose to mirror only some of the UVs on the circlet. That let me get away without having a seam running right down the middle of the gem and I could offset the specular highlight just a bit.

Hope that helps :) I'm always trying to get better :)
  • Tomus
    Offline / Send Message
    Tomus polycounter lvl 5
    thx a lot for the texture, i was working on a hairpiece recently and now i see how could i solve some problems.