Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Learning & Developing my first game

So, my name is Daniel, a 24yr old brazilian 3D Artist. I traveled to Vancouver Canada to learn 3D Animation on the Vancouver Film School, and finished the program about a year ago. Other than some freelance work, didn't had really much work experience in the area, but I always enjoy doing little projects to learn more and improve my skills.

As many here, I'm a gamer, and I love games. And recently one freelance job I got had me getting my animation into UDK for rendering. UDK impressed me with it's ease of use, in a few days I already could create matinee sequences and simple scenes.

As I studied more of it, I started creating simple levels on UDK for fun. I put some of these levels available online and people seemed to enjoy it so I started to wonder if I would be able to create a simple game myself with that engine.

And that's how my Unrealscript learning journey starts. I bought a copy of "Unreal Development Kit Game Programming with UnrealScript: Beginner's Guide" and on the second day reading I started trying to change the code taught there to do something different. Instead of a top-down camera decided to try and get a sidescroller camera working. As I started to find problems I stumbled upon Epic's UDK forum, with TONS of documentation, tutorials and helpful people. 3 days into learning I got the sidescroller camera, a simple melee attacking system and a melee enemy spawner.

8EvkMko.gif

At this point, I was decided to take this little learning project further and actually make some art and a completed level with a objective. I had my "main gameplay elements" working (even if a little bit clunky in this start =x) so I felt good enough to try and make some art for it.

Story-wise, I thought of making little/young elemental/titans, that wake up from their rest to find their home/nature threatened by a corruption force and have to fight this corruption-spawned enemies to purify their world.

Thinking back to what I learned on Vancouver Film School when creating my Short Film, I decided to set my goal small and doable. I will create 1 level, with 1 playable character and 3 enemy-types (That will only differ from one another by small details). I'll also add some Kismet-driven puzzles, that I did before on the UDK Levels I created for other games and I know I can execute. If I manage to complete the prototype how I want, and it's fun and enjoyable, I can think of expanding upon and creating more characters, enemies and levels.

With that in mind, I decided to concept some elementals, to decide which one could be my first character for this prototype. I'm not so great with drawing, but I just wanted to put some ideas out there.

3uFfZ.jpg

I ended up deciding on creating the Ice elemental first (Middle drawing), as a snow/ice environment tends to need less assets (at least I believe so... Mountains, Rocks, Trees, logs, maybe some snow-covered ruins...).

I like to concept the shape of the character in ZBrush first using ZSpheres, then do a Retopo, instead of starting with a basemesh created somewhere else. So I did a quick concept for my IceGuy without much attention to details, just the basic shapes

3va2O.jpg

Afterwards, retopo'd,UV'd and started to work on the textures. I wanted to experiment with hand-painted textures. 10 Minutes after starting to paint his texture, I noticed I was terrible at it. My girlfriend seeing my struggle offered some help, and turns out she's quite good at this.

WNVC1SD.jpg
She painted his textures and he ended up looking even better than I expected. But his face was looking kinda dull. Started rigging him to get him in the game and in the process decided to add some bones to the face to get some more expressiveness out of him.

EmCXZhS.jpg
Now I quite enjoy this character and his cartoony style :) with the rig ready, decided to make some quick animations for him to finally see him in action in-game.

y6jmRKb.gif
At this point I learned something else... Animation for games is different, and there are other things that must be considered. In an attack animation I also have to think about the place/socket that the game will trace to check if the damage happens. Right now with this placeholder animation it's really hard to actually hit an enemy with one of the punches, while it's easier to get the sword attack to hit, when I get back to create the final attack animations I'll have to recreate them with that in mind. The animation must not only look good, but play good.

3wSIp.jpg
I also modeled him a Icy-sword, this time I painted the texture for it myself (With some guidance from my girl XD) got both in the game and tried to create a special material for him that would sell better the idea that he is made of ice.

3xgEq.jpg
Now that he needed something to kill, I decided to make an enemy to play with him. this time I helped a lot more on the texture-painting process, but while I am in fact improving on this, my girlfriend still ended up doing most of the heavy-lifting on that front xD

5iHljHo.jpg
I just finished a simple rig for him, but still haven't animated him. I also need to create a weapon for him and then I'll finally start to work on the level :)

This has been a great learning experience for me and I'm excited to hear feedback from you guys. I'll keep on posting updates on the process, and hopefully soon enough I'll have something playable to share ^^

The intent for this project is learning. I'm not worried about publishing, future, or etc. Right now in my mind this is a learning project. If it ends up being fun and I see that it can be something more, great. But for now all I really want is to learn other parts of game development and be able to create something playable and potentially fun :D

Well, I guess that's it for now, thanks for reading ^^

Replies

• LANKUS MAXIMUS
    I thoroughly enjoyed reading through that. Awesome to see people following their dreams and making the games they want to see!

Really inspiring dude. I look forward to watching your project evolve.

All the best with it. Good luck! :)
  • DanielSnd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thoroughly enjoyed reading through that. Awesome to see people following their dreams and making the games they want to see!

Really inspiring dude. I look forward to watching your project evolve.

All the best with it. Good luck! :)

Thanks, makes me happy to see that someone liked reading it ^^

So, I was thinking, and I decided to instead of starting doing a "ice titan" campaign level, I could do even less for a functional prototype... I could do a simple Arena with waves of monsters of increasing difficulty. That would let me make only 1 small environment, and test the combat/gameplay that is the core mechanic of the game, effectively having something "Playable" to test.

So I made some modular assets for the arena
    3ziE0.jpg

Started UVing and texturing it, painted a brick wall (This time I painted it myself, without help from the lady ;] ) And I'm actually happy with the result
    3zXWN

I set up the basics of it on the editor just to see how it's looking
    3A1Hi.jpg

Tomorrow I shall continue UVing and texturing the pieces, and populate the map a little more. ^^
  • DanielSnd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After a lot of texture painting, and some more models made...

lRN2bwo.jpg

3BKrZ.jpg

I'm finally getting happy with it, would love to hear some feedback ^^ there are still some things I want to do on it (Specially add some Enemy audience cheering XD) But for now I guess I'll take a break from it and work on the actual gameplay.

Cheers ^^
  • homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    homrighausen3d polycounter lvl 5
    Can't wait to see more progress! Looking good so far :D.
  • DanielSnd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can't wait to see more progress! Looking good so far :D.

Thanks ^^ It was a pain to texture everything but at least was worth it. I don't usually like the stuff I do but this one I actually think it's looking good xD

Yesterday I created a new enemy, a kind of evil blob/slime (think it makes sense with the corruption idea).

3C2ff.jpg

He doesn't have any fancy texture, just threw on him a material with a fresnel, and it kinda looks interesting xD maybe I'll paint a texture for him afterwards and multiply on the fresnel

3C9kg.jpg
    Rigging him was funny, since he's only a "head", added some joints for facial control, he can go pretty crazy xD

mBJ0YmC.gif
    Did some placeholder animations to get him in game, cracks me up everytime he attacks me with his tongue xD

iq7cnkC.gif
    Now I get someone to play with me on the arena :3 The "wave" system is already working, and each wave more enemies come.

ouHLw7R.jpg
    In that regard, also made a bigger badass version of the blob by changing his material and scale, 1 of those start spawning after second wave, and also scales each wave.

Getting excited :) Gotta work more on the main character's attack animations (It's a bit clunky right now), and take some time to animate the other enemy and add him into the game.

Well, that's it for now ^^ Thanks for the kind words homrighausen3d and Lankus Maximus, it's nice to know I'm not just talking to myself here xD
  • Fisher007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fisher007 polycounter lvl 8
    Hahaha the visual desing is just brilliant! I honestly love it. :) Keep it up.
  • Kbrom12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    dude that lick is great haha, subscribed
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Wow, this is a really interesting read/project, Sub'd and good luck!
  • okay54
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay54 polycounter lvl 5
    Loving the visual design on this. Like you have already said I would work a little on the main characters animation. Can't wait to see whats next ^^
  • makecg
  • DanielSnd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys ^^ Love to see that people are actually watching my "journey" through this learning process xD

I've been working pretty hardcore last 3 days on the Programming side of things (the side I'm still quite bad at, but I'm improving xD) It's been a slow and frustrating process, but I finally got the attack system implemented the way I wanted ^^

So, here's a video of how the game is playing so far:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2MuMi1NSek"]UDK Untitled project - First gameplay video - YouTube[/ame]

Don't mind the animations, I still have to work a lot on them, I'm just trying just to get some thing passable done quick to test the system. Once I get everything in place I'll go back and do some proper polish on them ;x

Thinking of doing the HUD next, from what I've been studying around the internet, I need to learn Scaleform... A bit scared of that, but we'll see how that goes D:

If there is anything you would like to know about the project, or the process of doing any of this stuff =x I would love to comment on it/show more, let me know ^^

Thanks again for the feedback \o
  • Shudrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shudrum polycounter lvl 6
    Hi, before the GUI, maybe you should add some hit feedback effects ?

This can add a lot of visual effects with low development time ...
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AzzaMat polycounter lvl 9
    This is really impressive, especially your willingness to learn everything you need to. Good luck with the project.
  • DanielSnd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shudrum wrote: »
    Hi, before the GUI, maybe you should add some hit feedback effects ?

This can add a lot of visual effects with low development time ...

Hm, do you mean a particle spawning when a hit connect or the material of the enemy flashing red or something else or both? XD

I tried to add the particle spawning but for some reason it's not spawning on the right place always, sometimes it spawns on the right spot, sometimes it doesn't =x maybe I'll ask around the UDK forums and see if someone can point out what I'm doing wrong on that xD
    AzzaMat wrote: »
    This is really impressive, especially your willingness to learn everything you need to. Good luck with the project.

Well, I already knew most of the art-related stuff because of previous projects xD and I'm not willing to learn everything... I won't touch music, I simply don't have the skill for that, when the game gets to a point where a "releasable" playable prototype is in sight I'll look for someone to do music for it xD
  • DanielSnd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's been a while since I posted here, but I've been working way more on the programming side than the arts side, and kinda harder to show the programming updates D: I figured would be better to just make a video showing it once I got more of the programming updates done. Going back to the arts soon ^^

tumblr_mqmbp6imjP1safdjjo1_1280.jpg
    Well, I had this art update... A new ranged enemy, evolved from the original Blob. Also a new texture that my lady did for the Blob character, with actual eyes... It made him more cute... Not sure if that's good or not... still deciding, lol.

Well, this are the news on the game, and how it's playing right now:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KenGdRxTQv0"][UDK / Brawler] Elementale - Gameplay Update - YouTube[/ame]

Got 2 more days till the Deadline for the festival, trying to finish up the enemy and fix some more stuff ^^
  • shrogg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shrogg polycounter lvl 12
    Currently the hits don't feel powerful, You chould try adding in an effect that flairs out from the players hand on successful strike.

Otherwise good job! Love the art style you have going
  • KartoonHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KartoonHead polycounter lvl 4
    This is fantastic! Great work. A few gripes: the camera angle feels a bit unnatural, and it also looks terribly hard to navigate the battlefield or get a good picture of where everything is relative to you, maybe try something with a better view of the area, nothing as jarring as DOTA, but maybe something like this,

E2D8F8CFB0E3A452DD97865470661F26859661AC.jpg

Also, I agree with shrogg that the hits don't feel great, but that's probably just the lack of sound. You should try that Legend of Zelda trick of having a tiny pause whenever a hit lands, or perhaps just whenever you deal a fatal blow to an enemy, I know UDK has time dilation functions already built in so it'd be a swift thing to prototype.

The gestures your guy makes when he attacks are a bit wrist-heavy, and that makes the weapon look really light, and subsequently makes us read the attacks as powerless. They remind me a bit of the attacks from HoM&M2. He should have to pull weight through his whole body to draw that blade through enemies.

dark-souls-pc.jpg
  • DanielSnd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is fantastic! Great work. A few gripes: the camera angle feels a bit unnatural, and it also looks terribly hard to navigate the battlefield or get a good picture of where everything is relative to you, maybe try something with a better view of the area, nothing as jarring as DOTA, but maybe something like this,

Also, I agree with shrogg that the hits don't feel great, but that's probably just the lack of sound. You should try that Legend of Zelda trick of having a tiny pause whenever a hit lands, or perhaps just whenever you deal a fatal blow to an enemy, I know UDK has time dilation functions already built in so it'd be a swift thing to prototype.

The gestures your guy makes when he attacks are a bit wrist-heavy, and that makes the weapon look really light, and subsequently makes us read the attacks as powerless. They remind me a bit of the attacks from HoM&M2. He should have to pull weight through his whole body to draw that blade through enemies.

That is some really great feedback/suggestions, thanks a lot for that ^^

I changed the camera a bit trying to follow your suggestion, this is how the camera is looking now:

3Odph.jpg

I see what you mean about the attack animations, I really need to spend a lot more time on those... I just did some quick ones as placeholders, I hope they'll look better and give more of the "hit feeling" once I get back to them ^^ I'll keep in mind what you said about putting his body weight through to the attacks.
    Currently the hits don't feel powerful, You chould try adding in an effect that flairs out from the players hand on successful strike.

There is one, I guess I need to add more to it XD
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    This is looking really cute dude, i love it :o
  • coolcat56
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coolcat56 polycounter lvl 7
    Hey man good job I'm digging your progression so far.
  • DanielSnd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba wrote: »
    This is looking really cute dude, i love it :o
    coolcat56 wrote: »
    Hey man good job I'm digging your progression so far.

Thanks guys ^^ I'm going for a cartoony/cute look, very excited to start doing the "Story" levels I'm planning to do.

Today was the deadline for the Brazilian Indie Games Festival I'm sending this prototype to.

They ask the developers to make 2 videos for the submission, 1 showing/explaining the game and a smaller teaser of the game (30 seconds)

So, here are the videos ^^ (Did a little matinee intro for the teaser one)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUP5fbWRaT8"]ElemenTale (Teaser) - Festival de Jogos - SBGames 2013 - YouTube[/ame]

This explanation one is in portuguese, but I made subtitles for it ^^ just click on CC and select english.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vGMD7KkMzI"]ElemenTale - Festival de Jogos - SBGames 2013 - YouTube[/ame]

Also made a steam Greenlight Concept page to post updates about the game ^^ (Concept Page, not Greenlight for reals XD just concept)
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=164452372&searchtext=
  • DanielSnd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tumblr_mqyvjnyhqd1safdjjo1_1280.jpg

Worked a lot more on the programming side of things, not really much artistic updates :( can't wait to get all this programming stuff out of the way and be able to focus on the pretty stuff I like to do ^^ and I hope when I get to that point I upload this thread a lot more xD

Btw, yesterday was exactly 1 month since I started developing this project
    So I decided to upload a video with unedited footage of a full Arena Wave, with bugs and all ^^ It's going to be interesting to look back at this video in the future and see how the game was at the 1 month mark :D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpaeyC5CY-c"][UDK] ElemenTale - 1 Month in Development - Unedited footage - YouTube[/ame]
    shrogg wrote: »

What do you think of the impacts now? I added some particle effects, camera shake and also included some time dilation as KartoonHead suggested :3 + impact sounds.
  • thebamboobear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thebamboobear polycounter lvl 9
    This is looking good :) Keep up the good work!