Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mountain Valley [Erebor - The Dragon Rises]

2z3nmnd.png

While i was developing Erebor in CryEngine 3, i just got an idea of having some Nice Mountains.
Here`s The Result.

Project Info (Montain Area):
Polycount : 668,258 Polys
Texture and Models used:
-CryTek`s Grass 9 and Grass 1
-3 Variants of trees and grass

-
The Project took about 1 and a half hour including Environment Tweaking.
The Mountain Area is a part of Paragon, The Dragon Rises.

Replies

• CryShade
  • _DMage_
    Very Nice work, keep it up :D
  • _DMage_
    Without me and your team, you have done some pretty good things on our game.
  • CryShade
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    You made a tree and grass congrats.
  • CryShade
    Thanks
    actually 3 tree`s
  • Kitty|Owl
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitty|Owl polycounter lvl 3
    Im confused.
    you used the terrain tool to create some blobs in cryengine, spammed grass on a piece of it then added 3 trees and its a complete scene???

sure the idea of having some nice terrain/mountains is a valid one and sounds like it could be good, but please look at some mountains first.

do you have any plans to expand on this scene?

You should join in some of the monthly challenges around here as they are a great way to learn with other people. you've already posted in this months thread, why not join in? http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122714
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Tree's are looking nice.

I definitely wouldn't class an hour and a half of work as a completed scene though.

As a huge Tolkien fan I'm slightly confused about the nature and identity of your scene. I don't think that this has much to do with Erebor at all, nor the Long Marshes and surrounding lands. Maybe gather some reference images or read the Middle-Earth wiki and spend some more hours on this project.

All the best with it! :)
  • CryShade
    @Kitty|Owl

I didn`t spam with grass, the grass is in a hexagon shape which isn`t spam i used clumps on area`s where it looks nice with them.
    Also my team members are working on this just for tweaking and making it better in different time set`s. I am just blocking out the tweak then _DMage_ is tweaking it perfect.

The Scene is going to be a game when i am complete with the whole level.

@LANKUS MAXIMUS

I picked the name Erebor because it sound good, not because i am going to create a game thats like the hobbit.
    As i said to Kitty I am just blocking out the terrain and levels and _DMage_ is tweaking it and making it better.

and an answer for both: This is a Valley i have not even started with the mountains it will look much better when that comes in place.
  • _DMage_
    He has got right, i am tweaking it to the perfect.
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Sounds cool. I look forward to seeing it develop.

Still slightly confused about your reasoning though. If your not intending to create a game based around the Hobbit then why wouldn't you take some artistic licence and name it something original? Plus i think anyone with knowledge of the Hobbit will be making the same assumption that i have based on your sub-title, 'The Dragon Rises'. All seems pretty Hobbit-like to me....

Also, it seems that you and your friend Dmage are replying in quite a defensive tone.

I like your work and look forward to seeing it progress. Please don't take anything I, or anyone else says to heart. It's all in the name of artistic improvement.

All the best with your project guys! :)
  • CryShade
    Thanks, I created a little Speed-Build with the creation of the grass.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg8GxkRDiIg"][3ds Max] Grass Speed-Build [For CE3] - YouTube[/ame]
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Nice video.

Maybe in future you can dignify people with a larger response than just 'thanks'.
  • CryShade
    Still slightly confused about your reasoning though. If your not intending to create a game based around the Hobbit then why wouldn't you take some artistic licence and name it something original? Plus i think anyone with knowledge of the Hobbit will be making the same assumption that i have based on your sub-title, 'The Dragon Rises'. All seems pretty Hobbit-like to me

I will change the name, but i need to some idea`s for the name, have anyone got some good idea`s ?
    Maybe in future you can dignify people with a larger response than just 'thanks'.

I just didn`t have the time then.
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    That's more like it :) Cheers.

Personally dude, if you get the time, Go check out some fantasy tales/books. Take some inspiration and just make personal alterations. Erabor is indeed an awesome name, you just don't want people viewing your project and going ''hey, wheres the stone dwarves?, where's laketown?''

Like i said before it's quite a cool looking terrain. Nice and open. Maybe go and look at some similar real-world environments, like the beautiful meadows of Switzerland or something. Some pretty epic names around there. Taking something like that, that similarly fits your terrain would be really cool.

I once stayed in a town called Samerath. Playing on this kinda thing could potentially be pretty epic. The Samerath plains.. The rolling hills of Tolmareth.. (another town name)

If you cant find a name that suits your world. I recommend you go and visit somewhere like mithrilandmages.com

They have a cool fantastyesque land and town name generator. Go see what you can conjure... :)
  • 3dcaspar
    Offline / Send Message
    3dcaspar polycounter lvl 10
    Is this a troll? :P

Well if not, at the moment there isn't really much to talk about,... besides very few vegetation.

I definitely agree with LANKUS MAXIMUS, the name is really confusing and you should by all means change it if you aren't going for some Tolkien related theme.

Don't take this personal but "I just didn't have the time then." sounds quite arrogant, regarding the fact that you want people to take their time to view your thread and reply and actually help you in their free time.. :)

Besides that, I am quite curious how this will turn out and what's this all about.

Cheers
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    My thoughts exactly caspar.

In future, no reply at all would probably be more appropriate. Especially if you are able to deliver a slightly longer reply not 2 hours later. I'm sure you weren't trying to come across as being arrogant, but then again i see you are pretty new to polycount.

If people view this and see your short, blunt replies. You probably won't get much help. I'm pretty understanding. Others, not so much.

Anyways, i hope my help helps... :)
  • CryShade
    That's more like it :) Cheers.

Personally dude, if you get the time, Go check out some fantasy tales/books. Take some inspiration and just make personal alterations. Erabor is indeed an awesome name, you just don't want people viewing your project and going ''hey, wheres the stone dwarves?, where's laketown?''

Like i said before it's quite a cool looking terrain. Nice and open. Maybe go and look at some similar real-world environments, like the beautiful meadows of Switzerland or something. Some pretty epic names around there. Taking something like that, that similarly fits your terrain would be really cool.

I once stayed in a town called Samerath. Playing on this kinda thing could potentially be pretty epic. The Samerath plains.. The rolling hills of Tolmareth.. (another town name)

If you cant find a name that suits your world. I recommend you go and visit somewhere like mithrilandmages.com

They have a cool fantastyesque land and town name generator. Go see what you can conjure... :)

Thanks Lankus, your link really helped. I will keep my subtitle but use 'Paragon' as the Main Title, the image will me changed , but i have a problem with the name changing on the Thread. It sticks with what i first used.

And 3Dcaspar its just a part of my game, its not even complete
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Oooo sounds good man. Nicely suited. Like a mixture of Paradigm and polygon.

All the best with your project cryshade.
  • 3dcaspar
    Offline / Send Message
    3dcaspar polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah I know it's not finished by now, but some information on the game/art/story etc you want to develop would be nice, don't you think ;)

All I could find is a homepage of yours without any information, and a blog by cryshade-gameworks (maybe not you) without any information too, only some dude going totally crazy about getting a free Minecraft-Account..

But as I already said, I'm looking forward to seeing more of your project :)
  • CryShade
    I don`t even play minecraft! just BF 4 and Play4Free :D
  • _DMage_
    The Blog was actually me hehe, i tried to get me a free minecraft account in the same time that i was kidding with CryShade :)

.... long time ago