Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Iron Man MKZ Armour

stark_wip15.jpg

The above is a promotional image we did for the upcoming release of the Iron Man MKZ Armour short.

My good friend and fellow colleague at Sony, Anthony McGrath started this project over a year ago when he decided to make his own carbon fibre version of the MK5 (suitcase) suit in Iron Man 2. Needed to say he wasn't happy stopping there and before he knew it, it had turned into a full blown animation. Since then I myself was pulled in to help bring RDJ to life as early showings revealed that it just didn't feel the same without him.

All the work is completely one laptops and what little time we have outside of work. We still have plenty left to do, but this should hopefully keep you all involved along the way :)

Facebook Page
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Iron...5515492?fref=ts

Iron Man MKZ Armour Thread
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...4&page=11&pp=15

Tony Stark Making of Thread
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=153&t=1099780

ironman051.jpeg

I've attached links and a few other pictures for you guys to peruse at your leisure. Any support for our work would be greatly appreciated.

The hair is all generated using fibremesh in zbrush because it gave me the best results and most control. I have been extremely keen to have everything visible and runtime in Maya when animated so I painstakingly took the time to model all the creases into the topology. This means that by driving the facial rig with joints I can control the hair without having to combine it to the head mesh like I would with blendshapes. On top of this I have created all the wrinkles and secondary motion using blendshapes driven by the GUI so you will get fully displaced mesh wrinkles within the viewport rather than having to wait until render time.

stark_wip19.jpg

Quick render showing the early stages of the facial setup and wrinkle prototyping. The primary facial deformation is created using joints as all the hair is geometry based and therefore would have to be combined in order to use blendshapes. The secondary deformation likes wrinkles is all blendshape driven as the use of displacement maps mean you can't view the results realtime. This was painstaking because all of the topology needed to follow the wrinkles, but will be worth the extra effort in the end. You can see an example of this in the brows narrow where the skin dimples in above the eyebrows and on the brows up where the forehead creases.

stark_wip18.jpg
stark_wip16.jpg
stark_wip09.jpg

Finally some screenshots from the actual short film sequence and a breakdown of one of the shots.

Shot Breakdown
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=532921646744815

im_su_handsCU_strip.jpg
im_walkShot_grab03.jpg

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i feel like his eyes might need pulling back into his head just a little? and the eyeball itself could do with some more work at the shader level, it's looking a little flat.

other than that, badass man =]
  • Cushers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i feel like his eyes might need pulling back into his head just a little? and the eyeball itself could do with some more work at the shader level, it's looking a little flat.

other than that, badass man =]

Hey thanks for the response. Yeh I pulled the eyes back in a made a few tweaks recently which you can notice in the close up render of his face with the black background, but unfortunately all the others are old renders so they still stick out a lot :P
  • MrNinjutsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    Really sweet sweet work Cushers. The hair is badass, I would love to know the process you took to achieve it.
  • Cushers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu wrote: »
    Really sweet sweet work Cushers. The hair is badass, I would love to know the process you took to achieve it.

Thanks MrNinjutsu, it was a lot of trial and error to begin with. I tried maya nhair to start with, but the render time was fairly large and didn't have much control over styling individual hairs. The same went for shave and a haircut, maya paint effects and even just poly modelling it from splines. My friend then pointed me in the direction of fibremesh and I was completely amazing at what I could achieve in about 10 minutes. It allowed me to control the density of hair and then just simply brush it into place, so much so that I just sat there with a picture of RDJ and brushes his individual brow hairs and facial hairs into the correct direction and twist. Then it was just a case of exporting it back to maya as single sided polys that get subdivided on render. The shaders for the hair are just 3 different blinn with a fresnel pumped through the incandescence to emulate an edge softening. The first is the main colour, the second is a lighter shade to break it up and the third is grey hairs. All have a specular, but no reflections.

Here are some early maya grabs

stark_wipHair01.jpg
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    Care to go a bit into detail about the armor?
  • Cushers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Well I didn't make the armour so I'll pass on the interest to Ant and I'm sure he'd be happy to come on here and help with any questions :)
  • anthonymcgrath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anthonymcgrath polycounter lvl 3

hi Archang:

have a scout at this thread i set up a while back - goes into a fair bit of detail about the iron man armour i put together:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=1053724
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Tony looks super great but what is with the armor ? It looks nice on the shots with the offline lighting and shaders + PP but what is with the model ? Its lowpoly without normals ? Sharp edges everywhere and no edge highlighting per texture, and ridiculous lowpoly

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61195028/ironmanCFpics/im_su_handsCU_strip.jpg
    I mean come on , this is like 5 sided for half a cylinder.

And wow your hair, thats insane!
  • anthonymcgrath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike wrote: »
    what is with the armor ? It looks nice on the shots with the offline lighting and shaders + PP but what is with the model ? Its lowpoly without normals ? Sharp edges everywhere and no edge highlighting per texture, and ridiculous lowpoly

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61195028/ironmanCFpics/im_su_handsCU_strip.jpg
    I mean come on , this is like 5 sided for half a cylinder!

Thanks for your input.
  • anthonymcgrath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike wrote: »
    what is with the armor ? It looks nice on the shots with the offline lighting and shaders + PP but what is with the model ? Its lowpoly without normals ? Sharp edges everywhere and no edge highlighting per texture, and ridiculous lowpoly

I mean come on , this is like 5 sided for half a cylinder!

Thanks for your input.
  • Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Awesome job on tony's face, the facial hair and hair look amazing :D
  • Cushers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend wrote: »
    Awesome job on tony's face, the facial hair and hair look amazing :D

Thanks Kend, the feedback it really appreciated
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    like i said in the other thread this looks awesome guys!
  • JimmyRustler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JimmyRustler polycounter lvl 8
    I've watch the full edit video on the youtube, and it is amazing. Inspired me so much to learn more about making an animation. Can't wait to see it fully done!
    Kinda agree with Shrike there, unless you intended the armor to look that way. Otherwise, it still looking awesome.
    And about Tony Stark, i think a lot of people already know what i'm going to say. It's perfect.

Good job, guys.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    the hair is looking great!

when you say single sided polys, do you mean they are just polygon strips and not actualy cylindrical hair shapes ? would like to see wireframe close up of the hair. also what is the polycount of the hair mesh ?

anyways, only thing i can comment on seem to be the facial anatomy. the eye sockets or eye lids look really off right now. they almost look like the eyeballs are pushed forward too much. they should be set deeper into the skull and the bone surrounding the eye should be slightly more prominent. they jaws should also be slightly lower.

look at the image below and see how far your eyes are sticking out compared to this:
    http://cdn03.cdn.justjared.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/sherlock-downey/sherlock-robert-downey-jr-holmes-16.jpg
  • Cushers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stark_wip20.jpg

OK so here a version with the eye reflections and refractions actually turned on this time :P

Thanks again for the feeback guys. I think his eyes are quite deceptive. I've only recently pulled them back and you'd be surprised just how set in they are. I think the focal length and angle doesn't really help. Although his left eye is slightly different to his right as in real life it's a bit bulgier and higher. I've attached a side profile wireframe for you guys to looks at :)

As for the jaw this was also another awkward one as in the image you posted his mouth is slightly pulled up due to the slight expression he is pulling at the edges of his mouth and the absence of his facial hair also adds to the illusion. Here is an example of how different his jaw can look in a relaxed position with facial hair compared to a slight expression without.

http://images.askmen.com/celebs/men/entertainment_200/214_robert_downey_jr_-906173-large_image.jpg

My own personal concerns lie around his lips. I can't seems to get a nice closed feeling to them. The problem is that he is fully animated so it opens, closed and all the rest, meaning at a resting closed position there is very little I can do other than some blendshape work. Any suggestions?

As for the hair, yes and no. They are flat strips, but rather than being single sided zbrush exports them as double sided so essentially 2 polys with opposite normals in the same world space. By smoothing on render by 1 iteration they automatically become 4 sided though like a piece of paper being folded flat then pulled up to make a cube with no ends. And as they are individual hairs a normal blinn specular works wonders rather than having to use an anisotropic shader.

Head hair is 298005 faces or 596010 tris
    Brows are 3559 faces or 7118 tris
    Beard is 35136 faces or 70272 tris

Maya seems to have no problem with these polys as they animate in the viewport fairly smoothly in texture mode.

stark_wip21.JPG
  • Cushers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've watch the full edit video on the youtube, and it is amazing. Inspired me so much to learn more about making an animation. Can't wait to see it fully done!
    Kinda agree with Shrike there, unless you intended the armor to look that way. Otherwise, it still looking awesome.
    And about Tony Stark, i think a lot of people already know what i'm going to say. It's perfect.

Good job, guys.

Thanks Jimmy. Yeh it's tough to judge from the screenshots of the arms really as when they are in motion they look pretty good which is the main aim. The angles themselves are indeed by design though as you can see on the arms of the iron man suit walking towards to camera. I think it's just a shame that it looks like low polys in that screenshot. Nevermind eh :) life goes on lol
  • anthonymcgrath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cushers wrote: »
    Thanks Jimmy. Yeh it's tough to judge from the screenshots of the arms really as when they are in motion they look pretty good which is the main aim. The angles themselves are indeed by design though as you can see on the arms of the iron man suit walking towards to camera. I think it's just a shame that it looks like low polys in that screenshot. Nevermind eh :) life goes on lol

This.

The suit was always meant to have an angular look in places.. i agree with shrike altho his way of wording had me irritated.. I don't think he realises the monumental effort this piece has been. also its alot easier to grill one frame of a shot.

Fact is that shot is literally about 36 frames of a 2 minute short. It was significantly improved when Mark added his high res arms in. I've never been fully happy with that one shot tbh but perhaps shrike is right and it does need a little adjustment certainly for that shot. i am still in the process of lighting some shots and getting the materials to really pop with hdri lighting so there is more to come yet.

Ant
  • anthonymcgrath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mark.. Quoted you there but my response is meant for the other guys... You know how i feel about the project and the things i want to look into and hopefully I'll get this to really work.
  • Cushers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK so I haven't got anything new to show you guys yet so in the meantime enjoy this picture of a silly dog. Lol silly dog, that's not how you smile.

funny-dog-face-2-580x453.jpg
  • anthonymcgrath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    all i could really add right now is this...

znrQA.jpg
  • Cushers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol how did I know it was going to be you?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    something has been bugging me about the armoured shot... i think the helmet is too wide, and i understand why!

in all of the movies, when RDJ has the helmet half open, his face is digitally squashed into it. there are a couple of shots where it really shows, and especially the scene at the end of Avengers when he's stood over loki with the helmet off completely. it looks ridiculous.

there's also a blooper scene on the bluray which shows him struggling to get the helmet on. and in the cg reel for ironman 3 they show how they overlay the armour digitally and that it doesn't actually fit "around" a head, it fits in front of it as a superimposed image, including with the mask open.

so, the solution to this for you, is to either scale the helmet so it's a bit narrower, or scale the suit so it's a bit chunkier, or both :D
  • ripper351
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ripper351 polycounter lvl 5
    the final picture of the suit looks like he is too short. maybe his neck is not long enough but he looks to wide and not tall enough.
  • anthonymcgrath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The head is matched to 3d data i managed to get from one of the motion picture assets that i shouldn't really have obtained nor will i share or even post a snapshot of.. More than my job is worth.

Its the right scale.

Can you show me a video with rdj's face being squashed digitally into the suit? i think Mark will back me up when i say I've obsessed over so many iron man making of videos for the last year+ doing this work lol.

The suit is deliberately skinnier like the mk5 suitcase suit is.. The whole sequence features the suit deploying in his car so room is tight heh!
  • Cushers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you referring to the photo at the top, with the mask up? Because yes that is wrong, but only because it's a concept piece. I rendered the head separately and photoshopped it on. The actual one should be correct as Ant says but we haven't done any renders yet.
  • anthonymcgrath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^^^ was gonna write pretty much that exact thing about it being a concept piece when i got in lol ^^^

i do like the 'sweaty' hair look on him in that concept tho :)
  • Cushers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't worry that's the next job lol. Once I've handed you the rig I'm making a bashed up stark. Should only take a couple of hours as I did a test and it was a piece of pish
  • anthonymcgrath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RFYF-UYu_4

thought i'd put this up as i know all the polycountpeons like a good wireframe heh!
  • anthonymcgrath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    in fact thought i'd share all the work in progress animatics that are on youtube... that way you can see the progress...

initial first pass animatic... not worrying too much on the 'how' ..just concentrated on seeing if the main high level idea could carry through in an animatic... my thoughts were i wouldn't necessary have to show every nut & bolt winding in (leave that to the movies!) but with carefully chosen shots maybe the idea of in-car-suit-up would work...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmTSPcyOvYY

i then did a slightly more refined version of the animatic concentrating mainly on the suit-up sequence... you can see that i concentrated on that final shot mostly for a good while whilst i tried things out for the other close up shots...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEgT0pEq4f8

further working into the various shots brought it up to this level... by now i'd got a face rig i was happy to turn into my Tony Stark. This was all still prior to Cushers there coming on board and building a proper RDJ model... it just HAD to be him... he IS iron man :)
    I'd sourced some models off turbosquid for the Zenvo and the F14 - these needed considerable tidy up mind to get them to look half decent but i think they are good enough for the shots i use them for.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVebkN1kPWA

*fun fact - did you know when the Navy retired the F14's and the other 'teen' jets of the 90's, the gov's apparently then sold them onto middle eastern countries - thats why i figured the F14 would make a good 'terrorist attack' jet... in the final sequence it has a big fat red stripe down it and the Ten Rings logo on the wings.

and finally here's a shot breakdown for you...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI4S5OUprOY

enjoy/ignore :)
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    animations are great, his eyes still look funky though, like they are too far forward and too far apart. If you take the latest render and zoom out you should be able to see it, otherwise looking good :)
  • anthonymcgrath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool wrote: »
    animations are great, his eyes still look funky though, like they are too far forward and too far apart. If you take the latest render and zoom out you should be able to see it, otherwise looking good :)

put up a link to a photo your comparing him to ?
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is probably the best example, but you just gotta google it really

robert-downey-jr.jpg

eyelid thickness aswell possibly?

Robert-Downey-Jr-robert-downey-jr-31453405-500-750.jpg

its just eyes, Im very funny with eyes as thats where you first look when you look at people and is the first place to break the realism if its off. To be fair theres not enough shots to give a proper critique and could be a perspective issue, but worth looking into. You've also gotta deal with which version you do, Downey jr. is alot skinnier/older/toned in the later movies so almost has a different face if you are doing likenesses.

like look at this chubby face haha

RDJ.jpg

great project though guys, its looking really good
  • Cushers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys. I'm taking all of these comments on board and reviewing my model. Rest assured though I have about 1000 reference images of RDJ in all shapes and sizes.

I won't be putting up anymore renders for the time being though as we really need to get it integrated now, so once the face rig is finished I'll upload a fully rendered turn table and wireframe etc.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    what crazyfool said.

here is a 3d scan data model i believe:
    http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-model-head/739445

E05oFUl.jpg

also, notice the curvature of the eyelids. your eyeballs look too flat (not rendering issue), may be the eyeballs are too big on your model.
  • Cushers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM wrote: »
    what crazyfool said.

E05oFUl.jpg

also, notice the curvature of the eyelids. your eyeballs look too flat (not rendering issue), may be the eyeballs are too big on your model.

I'm dubious whether it is a scan. I can see the accuracy of some of his features, but I work with scans on a daily basis and if that is a high end film scan then it's by far the worst I've seen and I doubt it would be on turbo squid. Regardless of whether it is or not he is pulling a fairly extreme expression unfortunately so this will influence it a lot. This is an actual scan though. I've had this a while. I agree there appears to be more curvature to the eyes, but mostly because he has them wider in the scan. I could possibly thicken up the lower lid, but I can say with a certainty my eyeballs are not too big. I'm just having trouble getting the reflections and refractions to show up nicely.

IRON%20MAN%202.jpg
  • Cushers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The average diameter of an adult eye is 24mm or 1 inch and varies very little between people. We are working at half scale so I would expect my eyes to be 12mm or 1.2 because of my settings. My eyes come out at 1.26 and that was without even making them to measure, so I think I'm pretty damn close.

Stark_Eye.JPG
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    This is really awesome dude! Personally I love how that render turned out!
  • Cushers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks BradMyers82 that's much apprecaited.

I don't have time for a proper render, but here is a quick blast from a different angle so you can see the eyes etc

stark_wip22.jpg
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    This is an actual scan though. I've had this a while. I agree there appears to be more curvature to the eyes, but mostly because he has them wider in the scan.

the corners of the eyelids never change location whether wide open of shut. the curvature would be same regardless as far as i know.

anyways, since you are using scan data i believe you will get it as accurate as possible. rest of it might be rendering issue.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    MM wrote: »
    what crazyfool said.

E05oFUl.jpg

i'm 99.9999% sure that was made using still shots from a movie and software like Autodesk 123D
  • anthonymcgrath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still shots from a 'movie' and 123d vs actual captured data of rdj's face ...id be choosing the latter personally.

Mark has more than enough reference image for this guy and the proportions are bang on the look of rdj from avengers id say which is exactly what he wanted to shoot for.

Also base pose non expression face always looks a little dead.
  • hendrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hendrix polycounter lvl 11
    I'm a friend of Dan Conroys - he sent me this link this morning to try and clue me up to the standard of the guy who is teaching him. Wow, absolutely amazing stuff - i was blown away... teach him! dont stop teaching him! lol! well done mate!
  • Cushers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha thanks Hendrix, but I can't take credit. He's doing brilliantly and all I do is say 'make this' then 'mmmm very good, keep it up'
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New shot looks really good, eyes are still slightly weird but I think it's because of the tear ducts. You have them curving up the nose when it should be flat before reaching the edge of the eye socket and then you get the slightly harsh transition to the bridge of the nose. It's something definitely in the centre of the face throwing it as if you cover an eye (either) then he looks spot on, they just don't gel together yet. It can be the tiniest thing that throws off the eye, so it might seem small but I think it could help.

He's looking good :)
  • anthonymcgrath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thought i'd add to cush's thread and show the new adjustments to this shot so thanks the crits n comments (albeit as subtle as a car crash) really helped and were worth doing...

persp02_handsCU_grab01.jpg
  • Cushers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Preferred the old one
  • anthonymcgrath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Preferred the old one

You nodder
  • Cushers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's been a while since I've posted, but rest assured we have been working pretty hard to get this thing finished and we are damn near there. In the mean time feel free to check out our Facebook page for regular updates

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Iron-man-Mk-Z-armour/478669665515492?ref=ts&fref=ts

Here are a few more head shots to keep you entertained including a "post-crash" render

stark_wip23.jpg
    stark_wip24.JPG
    stark_wip25.jpg
  • anthonymcgrath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oo-oo my turn now!

here's a render and composite behind the hud...

rdj_hudshot_composite01.jpg