Home Technical Talk

floorplan mapping

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
repete polycounter lvl 6
Hello all

My levels are about to get more complex and I am wondering what is the best way to design them outside the engine. I have PS and I could use it but it would be great if there was another solution, Dungeon Crafter looks to be the only real solution I can find and I am wondering what you guys use apart from the pen !!!

Cheers

Pete

Replies

• MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    I tend to use plain old fashioned graph paper and a bit of maya for simple blockouts to see if they work as well on paper as they do in 3d space. It's a lot of back and fourth sometiems but i've yet to find a better method for quickly getting a layout
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    I know I am probably being lazy but I think I found what I need.

http://dia-installer.de/index.html.en

a little gem and a freebie :)
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    That actually looks very cool ! A bit similar to www.gliffy.com but free and standalone, nice ...
    Are the arrows connecting the shapes dynamic ? (as in : able to adjust themselves automatically like in a node editor ?)
  • bac9-flcl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bac9-flcl polycounter lvl 10
    I'd recommend SketchUp, it's a full fledged 3d package if you want, but at the same time it has a boatload of guide systems, snapping rules, smart camera, predictions and so on, so making prototypes or sketching your levels in it without any regard to proper modeling is insanely easy and satisfying. Both making sloppy eye-measured silhouette tests and super-precise floor plans of enormous buildings is something that can be done very quickly and with impressive ease.
  • Gilgamesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    repete wrote: »
    I know I am probably being lazy but I think I found what I need.

http://dia-installer.de/index.html.en

a little gem and a freebie :)

Hehe, this comes with my fedora nix install, I've been using it for quite a while just to plan things out (also use it for work with network diagrams etc).
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    You mean like snap to grid/object, yes and all the different arrow types have 3 adjustment points for editing the shape/length.

Found out by accident that the tool box is detachable :) and there are 35 "sheet sets" that come with the program, you can download more on the site. 100's of symbols.

It's simple to use and you can add your own images into your plans :thumbup: create groups add layers the list goes on !!!

pior wrote: »
    That actually looks very cool ! A bit similar to www.gliffy.com but free and standalone, nice ...
    Are the arrows connecting the shapes dynamic ? (as in : able to adjust themselves automatically like in a node editor ?)