Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Biker Girl

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
visoutre polycounter lvl 6
I revamped the design and rigged this model. If you scroll down you can see the original concept/model and more shots of the final.

2013-09-15bikerchickrender_zps042ffecc.jpg~original

---- Original Post:
This is the first time I tried the sculpt to re-topology workflow.

In the original concept I wanted to give the girl tattoos all over her upper body, but I couldn't figure out how to fix the UV seams. Tried roadkill, but it wasn't working, so I just UV mastered it. Then when I baked it I guess the seams were causing normal map errors, so didn't turn out as planned.

I might redo this character from scratch, make it more stylized like my concept art. I think the low poly model turned out okay, but the sculpt and texturing are the weakest parts. If you have any feedback I'd like to know how I can improve.

Original Idea:
1biker_concept_zps06b93522.jpg~original

Final Low Poly:
2mainwireframe_zpsa2cf42e6.jpg~original

Texture:
3textures_zps1b789c69.jpg~original

5turnaround_zpse5282b1e.jpg~original

Low Poly Topology:
6turnaroundwireframe_zps4376e3bf.jpg~original

8turnaroundsculptclothing_zps3ab26e48.jpg~original

9turnaroundsculpt_zps669515ce.jpg~original

Replies

• visoutre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I decided to redo the character from scratch after all. Rather than use the old concept, I made some new design. Next I will work on the new body/head sculpt.

bikergirlredesign_zps72557990.jpg~original
  • thepapercut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like the new concepts a lot more then the old ones. Best of luck, and can't wait to see how it turns out!
  • nozone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nozone polycounter lvl 4
    Hmmm...there's a certain mean 'n nasty spirit to the original concept that I really liked, and it's not quite there in these new ones---tho I like the new outfits better (if you're taking votes, I'd go for #4).

Is she gonna have the artillery, too? I'd expect something a bit easier to conceal from a biker: Knives, zipguns, etc. Things she could easily slip past the bouncer at the roadside dive-bar...

Anyway, looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
  • visoutre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ thepapercut: Thanks! I'm happy to hear that.

@ nozone: Hmm, yeah I'm going in a different direction with the new design. The original had a goth influence to it, but the newer one is more urban. Want to give her a cocky attitude. Zipguns is an interesting idea, I'll see what I can add to her toolbelt later!

Sculpting is so challenging! I had to do some studies and redo the head some more times. At least she looks more human. The next step is getting rid of that barbie look and working on the rest of the body.

Failed attempt:
    2013-07-04redohead_zpscc9b3ea7.jpg~original

Fixed (sorta):
    2013-07-05redoheadv3_1_zps1fd585a0.jpg~original

Polypaint test:
    2013-07-05redoheadv3_4_zps78e8b47a.jpg~original

2013-07-05redoheadv3_3_zpsfb7d04e4.jpg~original
  • visoutre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I took a long break from this character and recently got back to working on it since school started. I wanted to make her work inside UDK as a playable character. Probably encountered every technical issue you could come across, but it taught me a lot and it feels awesome to run around the game with my first game character!

Poly count is pretty high at 12,500 tris and UV's are messy, so next time I'll spend more time optimizing. A buddy at school helped me a lot with the rigging process, like proper joint orients and the IK for arms/legs. Still have to paint weights on most of the facial joints, but the body is animatable.

Overall I like how this version turned out. Some of the tattoos are temporary and there's going to be some more tweaks since I have to use this character in an animation assignment. But now I want to focus my effort on environment art since I got the character workflow down and I've always loved 3D worlds. Game art is so awesome!

2013-09-15bikerchickrender_zps042ffecc.jpg~original

2013-09-15bikerchickrender2_zps7a8351cc.jpg~original

2013-09-15bikerchickrig_zpsbffbf6e9.jpg~original

2013-09-15bikergirlingame_zpsb81c58d7.jpg~original

2013-09-15bikergirlingame2_zps7ba66857.jpg~original