Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Noomi Rapace as Lisbeth Salander, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
Latest Update, More at the bottom:
TowmyAH.jpg

So I decided I need a female character to round out my portfolio and give myself a good challenge. I’m a fan of the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo films and books, so I've decided to attempt a Lisbeth Salander based on the actress Noomi Rapace from the Swedish films. The final will be game res (next gen) and I'll probably try to put together a nice realistic render in Keyshot.

I’ll start with all my reference. A lot was collected from her fan site. I tried to make sure it was all from roughly the same time period as the film itself. The rest was pulled from the first film. I tried to be a comprehensive as possible, pulling a bunch of lighting styles and angles.

soc7FuQ.jpg
n98xoLR.jpg
nw6e4Rd.jpg
DhstM0o.jpg
ZxrHI72.jpg

I have more but you get the point. :)

The outfit Im going for is a combination of the pants, shoes and socks from the first pic below and the jacket, scarf and collar from the second, with the hand things from the last. Although I'm not sure how married I am to the idea of the collar...

vdNMNOJ.jpg

And the hoody from the poster.

G9b1X2V.jpg

As far as I can tell the accessories I need for her.
HEAD- Scarf, Collar, Ear Rings, Nose rings, Eyebrow Stud
BODY- Jacket, Studs, Zippers, Fishnet Hand Things, T-Shirt (Mohawk Skull), Jeans (have zippers on them), Shoes (Nike Air Force 1 James Brown Leather), Socks, Hoody

This is my progress so far. Ive been mainly focusing on the head. The body is a block out from a couple days ago. I've been sculpting almost exclusively from the non- film ref to try and avoid making mistakes based on makeup and film post.

7GQGawM.jpg
3pA1Q8p.jpg
q7xuhlP.jpg
3w1avpX.jpg

And here’s a Keyshot test with a quick polypaint.
nr6mKdZ.jpg

There are still some general tweaks to make to the face but I think Im almost there. I know that the lips need to be squared a bit more but at this stage Ive been looking at it too long and need to get some perspective, so I thought time to make a thread. I'll after relevant changes. Crits appreciated if you have them.

Replies

• Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    From straight on the head looks passable, but the 3/4 and side views show that work is required. Are you using front and side references as well as studying the skull? It seems the main issues are with the forehead and jaw, the chin jutting out too much perhaps. Keep going with it :)
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been sinking more time in this. Head still needs work but I think Im in the last 10%. The excruciating last 10%... Also been working on the lower body jumping back and forth.

Head with some polypaint and another keyshot test
    QWRAfxT.jpg
    eWPOQXi.jpg

Everything else so far. Im gonna try out marvelous designer for the jacket, i think.
    n4kZJKE.jpg

Pants with some polypaint and shoes, before I added logos n junk.
    e1szKcf.jpg
    ea4mIfB.jpg
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UUuuuuuuuupdate
    Decided that before I tackle the coat I should probably take care of the hoodie first. Tested out Marvelous Designer on it and so far it seems like a time saver for getting a base to sculpt on. Right now this is maybe 60% MD. Still need to get it a bit more game friendly in terms of folds.
    Also did some more polypaint and reworked the scarf and tshirt.

8mbIAsx.jpgtnjs3f0.jpg
    Um6TGYM.jpg
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think Im done with the hi-poly. I decided to close her hoodie a bit, it looked a bit weird open I think. There will be 3 or 4 outfits when when Im done with the low poly.

One with her in just the shirt, one with her in the shirt and jacket and one with her in everything.

WGjMJOS.jpg
    xLWnWt2.jpg
  • Caldria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Caldria polycounter lvl 8
    looking great man! I agree with the closed hoodie, fits the ref anyway.
    looking forward to seeing this in its entirety.
  • silver_hoodlum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    silver_hoodlum polycounter lvl 4
    nice progress mate
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks silver_hoodlum and Caldria, Im going to try and do her justice.

Test bake on the pants, just ao and normals and the poly paint from zbrush right now. I used zremesher to get the low res topology, I still need to go back cut in some supportting geo for folds and deformation and lower the polycount a bit. Right now it's sitting around 3k for the pants. Having said that, zremeher is some seriously awesome shit.

I'm also thinking I'll have the belt loops as seperate floating geo. but I maybe over thinking it here.

xMNaP9m.jpg

...and a keyshot test. I'm comfortable with most of the setting so far, but I wont be able to really fine tune things till I do the spec and diffuse map.

c7qOVh0.jpg
  • Mani_Skaldulfn
    Amazing work! Recognized her immediately in the WIP thread.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Mani_Skaldulfin :)

Small Update

Sorted final UV's for shoes and pants, rebaked everything for another test. So far so good I think. I can feel the finish line approaching :)

WDrpyzH.jpg
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    This is stellar work bud, You've nailed the likeness and appearance. Only crits I've got is the head maybe a tad too big and the face's skin texture needs a bit more love. try adding some additional hues.

Other than that your make excellent progress. Keep doing what you are doing.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    it might be late to give this feedback (sorry i didn't see the thread earlier) but i think you should revise the size and shape of the shoes. right now the front is too bulky and the side profile isn't really conforming with the ankles. also, they feel 1-2 sizes too big for her.

some images:

W0IYP5O.gif

6Av4zmY.jpg
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    amazing work dude, very inspiring!
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array- Thanks man, your right about the skin texture. It's just a base polypaint for now, I'll do the final work in PS, as for the head you might have a point there too. She's a very petite woman but I may have over compensated. I'll do a proportion tweak when I finish the low poly and compare. Thanks again.

MM- No need to apologize man, I sincerely appreciate the crit (Better now the when everything is all done right? :) ). Your spot on. The shoes have been bugging me for a while but I could not put my finger on what was off exactly. Guess I been staring at it too long. I'll through the low into zbrush and make the changes you suggested. Thank again.

Tits- Thanks I'll work my hardest to stay worthy of that. :)
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super late update ahead... I've been consistently working just too tired to post any updates.

Everything has been baked down and texturing has been pushed as far as I can go with my own eyes. At it's heaviest the polycount is a little over 40k, granted that will change depending on which outfit is assembled but at most around 40k.

Texture wise hair is pretty much untouched right now, but I will be doing that today as well as additional tweaks and anything else that gets pointed out to me, like the shoe (I havent done it yet...) change that MM suggested. I have everything on three texture sets and fourth for the hair, I have an alternate set for her makeup as well. I'll post up progress tonight and some shots without any post.

bYYT7Yc.jpg
    OBrSfmJ.jpg
    OZjWl0d.jpg
    JGEU0yR.jpg
    ev4Et09.jpg
    t4nER8K.jpg
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I pushed the skin a bit more a well as the makeup and got the alphas cards for the hair mostly (still need to do the eyebrows) placed, all thats left is hair painting and some rigging and posing.

x1l2dkV.jpg
    D5FYhyl.jpg
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the hair and Im happy with the skin and makeup for the most part.
    Also added a bit more wear to the gloss map as well to break things up. Currently I'm rigging her Im for posing.

UioviND.jpg
    XmDZfHN.jpg
    oEltRBK.jpg
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UUUUUPPPPDATE!

Got most of the textures dialed in, Little things here and there to change.
    She is fully rigged and skinned, so here's the first pass on Pose 1. I still have to figure out a pose for the two other outfits. and figure out a better light set up.

P5Ru21Y.gif

bGYTe6z.jpg
    KgBiumy.jpg
    AaWQVTB.jpg

More to do...
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked on a new pose for the 2nd outfit. Need too think something up for the jacket minus hoodie outfit.

VTl7VNu.jpg
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adjusted the skin material a lil bit, much happier now.
    2w2XPfi.jpg
    KRNMEiV.jpg
    Also set up the third pose. I think I need to take it into zbrush and nudge the shoulders a bit to get it to sit on her a bit more.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Final poses, ended up changing the 3rd outfit pose to something more saucy.
    Lighting is almost final, I need to tweak it per pose to really get all the oomphs.
    Also,any thoughts on Post FX vs no Post FX? I've gotten some opinions so far but would appreciate more thoughts.
    No post on the left and post on the right in the pics.

SDjW83R.jpg
    bNzH5ZU.jpg
    H2Po8jJ.jpg
  • DarkStar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man :)

Ok folks, Im pulling the trigger on this project, I think she's gone as far as she can go.... Until Toolbag 2 that is :)
    Here's the first group of presentation shots, I'll put the others up tomorrow some time.

TowmyAH.jpg
    Pd4yFDW.jpg
    zslzqo5.jpg
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    congrats on completing the character pretty neat job you did there,

Looking forward to see what you will do next :)!
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    That geo seems pretty excessive. Can I ask what the tri count on her is?

It seems strange that the jeans were prioritized over the hood.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Nice work man.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits- Thanks, it will be something a bit less serious for the next character :)
    Bek- Thanks man

LRoy- You mean the polycount is too high? She clocks in at around 42k which I think is in line with the goals that I set for myself.
    The wireframe looks crazy because Im not deleting things like the hoodie and shirt under the jacket. It all fits pretty snugly on top of each other.
    The tri count varies depending on which outfit we're talking about. The heaviest is around 42k and 35k at the lightest.

Here are some wireframes for the hoodie (5200 tri) and pants (3456 tri):
    yJoQFB2.jpg
    ujubyTf.jpg
  • Natland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Natland polycounter lvl 9
    Hey,

I did some makeup changes, I am not sure if this is what you are going for but I think it helps soften things up (in a hardcore way of course).

-Nat
    http://screencast.com/t/UdoxuKSzp2W
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Natland :) I adjusted the makeup a bit based on your paintover.
    I also made a small adjustment to the hoodie based on a paintover Pior gave me, couldn't quite do his paintover justice, but I think the little I did helped.

So here are all the final images. Im callin it done now (In the portfolio it goes...) and I am happy to move on to something new now. Thanks everyone for all the help and the hangout crew for all your help.

A6a9iSi.jpg
    t2T7h8c.jpg
    wHl69p0.jpg
    Ns1oSgo.jpg
    Wyjp9Pb.jpg
    Rni4DPM.jpg
    olbob2T.jpg
    vF0Cgju.jpg
    Shoe details
    0d5vE5K.jpg
    All the textures
    qZGUxi7.jpg