Home Dota 2

Animation question

Hello everyone, I am in the process of creating a new summon, and I am lost at animation specs.

1. Is there a framerate spec?
3. Is there a specific boundary limit? (I mean I'm not going to extend the claws 500 units, but you get the idea.)
2. For attack animations, how do we control the attack point? ie when the interaction takes place?

Thank you!

Replies

• dotastudio22
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    Hello everyone, I am in the process of creating a new summon, and I am lost at animation specs.

1. Is there a framerate spec?
    3. Is there a specific boundary limit? (I mean I'm not going to extend the claws 500 units, but you get the idea.)
    2. For attack animations, how do we control the attack point? ie when the interaction takes place?

Thank you!

1.) There isn't a set framecount limit on any of the animations, idles, runs, etc, can really be as long as you need them to be, but something like a spawn animation should be rather quick since the player usually interacts with them very quickly after they spawn and if you had something that was a bit longer, you can run into serious blending issues.

2.) You can, but keep in mind that if you do the NPC will stand on the same ground level, so if you move the NPC forward and he moves off a cliff he will be floating until he moves back to the origin.

3.) I've never done a attack animation for an NPC like for Beastmaster, but I imagine since units have a given attack radius, it doesn't matter. But that's speculation.

Cheers!
  • dotastudio22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1.) There isn't a set framecount limit on any of the animations, idles, runs, etc, can really be as long as you need them to be, but something like a spawn animation should be rather quick since the player usually interacts with them very quickly after they spawn and if you had something that was a bit longer, you can run into serious blending issues.

2.) You can, but keep in mind that if you do the NPC will stand on the same ground level, so if you move the NPC forward and he moves off a cliff he will be floating until he moves back to the origin.

3.) I've never done a attack animation for an NPC like for Beastmaster, but I imagine since units have a given attack radius, it doesn't matter. But that's speculation.

Cheers!

Thanks for the help. For #3, I was referring to time. As in at which frame will the damage take place?

Also for #1, how fast does the game process frames?

Thanks again.
  • dotastudio22
  • dotastudio22
  • L0N3Y
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    L0N3Y polycounter lvl 7
    1) From what I've seen I think (not 100% sure) the framerate is 30fps

2) Don't overdo the size too big or small. You'll want your summon to be roughly the same size as to not confuse the player thinking it's bigger or smaller than it actaully is (Valve won't change the bounding box size so you'll want to keep it the same-ish size as the original model you are replacing)

3) My guess is it will be the same time (eg 45th frame) or whenever the original happens. Which you may have to figure out/guess. (pure guessing this one)

Hope that helps :)
  • dotastudio22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    L0N3Y wrote: »
    1) From what I've seen I think (not 100% sure) the framerate is 30fps

2) Don't overdo the size too big or small. You'll want your summon to be roughly the same size as to not confuse the player thinking it's bigger or smaller than it actaully is (Valve won't change the bounding box size so you'll want to keep it the same-ish size as the original model you are replacing)

3) My guess is it will be the same time (eg 45th frame) or whenever the original happens. Which you may have to figure out/guess. (pure guessing this one)

Hope that helps :)
    Thanks man! I'll try to test out those assumptions.
  • dotastudio22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A response from an expert would be much appreciated :)
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    you dont need to control the attack point because the engine dont check coliders on that way, just study the original model

the other questions where alredy answered =]