Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Jagdpanther model

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
StormTheGates polycounter lvl 4
Hello everyone. I've started getting together my portfolio which I will eventually gear towards getting work the games industry here in Brighton, but for now I am making something to showcase high-poly hard-surface modelling skills. I suspect I will use this model to bake Normals and AO for a low poly version once It's complete. Bear in mind that this is very much a Work in Progress still, there's a fair bit of detail missing from the sides and rear. The MG34 in the forward machine gun mount is just a placeholder for now, I will make a detailed MG34 model to replace it with.

So yeah, this is the first model which I think is getting towards the right kind of level for my portfolio. All feedback and constructive criticism not only welcome, but actively sought after.

Replies

• Ricemanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good! The back looks a bit empty and theres not even a light edge on the render where the direction changes. Are you working on textures?
  • StormTheGates
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers. Yeah, as I mentioned in the original post, the sides and back are still incomplete, this is a Work In Progress shot :) . As for the soft edges, that's down to the Turbosmooth modifier. The edges are softer than I would like for a high poly render, but I think it'll work well for baking a Normal Map for a low poly model. I'm not sure if I'll texture the high poly model, but I'll definitely make textures for the low poly version.
  • Ricemanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, i must have overread that, i just got up at that time :P
    Anyway, you´re right in terms of edges. It´s better to soften them up a bit than using the more realistic uber hard one. Im subscribing, keep updating :D
  • StormTheGates
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's the engine cover complete, apart from two hinges for the centre hatch which I will add in later. Going to move onto the exhaust pipes and other gubbinz actually on the rear of the tank now, then stowage and tools for the side and it will be done.
  • StormTheGates
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's the high poly model pretty much complete now. Looking for feedback and criticism. I'm going to move onto making a couple of new things, and then I'll come back to make a low poly version and bake Normals and AO etc. :)
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    The model is great for a highpoly render but for a bake your edges are way too sharp for many things and there is so much small detail. Modeling after realistic edges is not what you want for a lowpoly. Also your shader is not good, its really hard to see curvature.

Aside it seems very well. Sculpting detail in the flat surfaces or taking ND0 or something would be mandatory tho to get the metal out.

It would make a really great offline artwork, but im not sure if you can get it to work for a lowpoly like it is now. Damn id love to make materials and render setup for such a highpoly. Gotta get on modeling myself
  • StormTheGates
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did think that may be the case. This was mostly a way for me to get some intensive practice on high detail hard surface models, If I got a low poly bake out of it it would be a bonus. Yeah I was definitely going to use NDO to add welding joins and that sort of fine detail. This is just rendered with 3DS Max's default renderer, with a Skylight and Light Tracer turned on. I guess my next step is to play around with the settings to get the best render possible for my portfolio. Thanks for the feedback and the compliments on the high poly stuff :)
  • StormTheGates
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know I'm just taking small steps here, but I'd like to know what you think of it now that I've used a material and lighting setup with some specular highlights?
  • KnechtRuprecht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KnechtRuprecht polycounter lvl 6
    I would turn up the specularity a little bit more and change the background to a greyish (or colored) gradient. Pure black distracts the eyes. The light setup could use some more love, too. Mind sharing it?
  • StormTheGates
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, cool. The light setup is pretty basic. It is as follows:

-One Skylight in scene, default settings
    -Light tracer turned on, default settings
    -One Direct light in scene, moved for each render to better match each camera angle. 0.25 magnitude, everything else default settings.
    -Scene material is standard 3DS Max grey material, with specular level set to 75, glossiness 10 and softness to 0.43.