Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Custom M4 Rifle

Replies

• Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    You used DDO mainly right ? Its insane strong. Its like it was used 10 years straight in an oily alien vs predator arena.

Id turn the whole DDO pass down to 30-50% opacity and paint per hand in photoshop on top of it so you have a nice base variation to work with, without letting DDO do all the stuff.

Also your renders are way too dark, its really hard to see anything
  • lilJohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lilJohn polycounter lvl 5
    I used 1 layer of ddo for a base and the rest I did by hand with my fun little (MarkMolnar) brush set, it has almost all of the same details that ddo uses in its preset such as scratches, and dirt. along with that I used a photoshop filter on my convexity map, then I overlayed it on the rifle to give the edges a worn look (also the same as what ddo does) and then I ran a scatter filter on the convexity map again to scatter scratches around the edges as well. the rest of my process was adding dirt which I used sandpaper brushes for.

I apologize for how unorganized it all is. I may have moved too quickly though the rifle and not taken the time I should have to personalize every detail.
    As2rGOR.jpg

also, working on the rendering issue. trying to decide if its my texture, or my lighting in MTB
  • lilJohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @shrike also, thanks for the critique, I will start revamping my texture tomorrow, back in college my teacher would have normally just told me to start all over again so that's probably what ill do. I think i'll just stay away from ddo because I do love dirty grungy used items, but I don't want to make the wrong impression (lazy) as an artist :)

thanks!
  • lilJohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    removed all of the dirt, and pretty much everything that wasn't grease-wear or scratches. thinking maybe this is less used looking.

kKLfAPw.jpg

next update will be when I have time to read over my feedback again and creep through lonewolf's weapon images. cheers!
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    This is a lot better already, but you kept your specular right ? There are way too intense highlights on it, making it look oily or fat(ty?) and strange.

the mag looks good, the scope looks like metal but the rest needs some work.
    Rails are ok too if you make them darker a bunch i guess.

The gray color you used for your highlights and the brush you used make it look a bit like stone now . Look up some references and dont forget color variation. Metal is not just grey.