Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] When Nature Reclaims The City (Revisit)

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
rockstar6 polycounter lvl 11
Hey guys,

Last year I worked on this environment already but I didn't really had the time to work on it that much and also lost the motivation. Few weeks ago I had decided to finish this piece up and I am really curious what y'all think of the result. After seeing The Last of Us art dump I was a bit intimidated xD but heck I can really use the feedback to improve the scene. Please drop a comment :)

THanks for your time!

CHeers,
rockstar

qs5x.jpg

axtw.jpg
g5in.jpg

Two high poly screenies, couldn't find the others;

qda6.jpg

h9sn.jpg

Replies

• rockstar6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woops, had to re-upload the images, they were too big.
  • mixeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mixeh polycounter lvl 8
    Really lovely! What was your workflow for getting detail in that zbrush sculpt if you don't mind me asking?
  • rockstar6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! I guess you're referring to the trash bags. So for the first trash bag I just started sculpting in Zbrush from a sphere and using Dynamesh. It's a good way to spread the amount of detail after roughing in the shapes, it's a bit more work though.

For the second and third bag I used a cloth simulated piece of geo. How I created the support geo that creates the tension; I just used primitives and was just rotating them and scaling them, until I'd have an interesting silhouette. From there I simulated the "cloth" and this gave me a head start on the tension points on the trash bags. Of course I still had a lot of work to do on the folds and stuff.

For the wall I also used Zbrush. I modelled a blockout in Maya and brought that in Z. And basicly started sculpting from there, with some custom alpha's for example.

Hope that answers your questions!:)

CHeers!
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    I'm gonna be that one comment guy that doesn't really give any feedback but...

Looks nice man, thought some of it was shots from "the last of us" first when i saw it in the what are you working on thread.
  • riot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riot polycounter lvl 11
    Really nice, I love how detailed the scene is.

Aside that, my only crit is that the dirt on the taxi from the first shots looks a bit strange, it is too soft imho, like if it was some kind of fog rather than dirt.

It looks really good anyways, I like it.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    really cool stuff

the third screen is missing some lamps, the ceiling looks bland and odd else, and maybe do something small on the grass for nr5, that drags the rest of the scene down
  • rockstar6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! I will look in to it most def, really appreciate the help! :)
  • rockstar6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update & fixed few lightmaps

CHeers! :)

aghh.jpg

9t10.jpg

hzoj.jpg
  • Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimmstrom polycounter lvl 7
    It's quite a nice looking environment (reminds me alot of Enslaved) and it could turn into a really great piece with abit more love and attention so you should deffo finish this off. Good job so far man.

Below are a few things I'd turn my attention too before progressing further:

- Spend abit of time balancing all the textures so that their all within the same range and make sure that all spec values are balanced too. There's alot of flatness to most of the assets so making sure there's a difference between all the different types of materials will help add a bit more depth & oomph to the scene.
    - I feel like the colour of the background is having a negative impact on the rest of the environment, not sure if its finished or just the white box?
    - Some more interesting screenshots would help, the bar scene has the most interesting composition but the rest feel like they could be improved just by moving the camera a little.

Hope you find this useful. Your doing a great job, can't wait to see it finished
  • rockstar6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Grimm!

Thanks for your comments, I'm looking in to it. I did tweak a few materials like you said but I was wondering if you could point out these points as well with a paint over perhaps? The reason why I kind of had trouble with the spec was the DX11 setting called IBR. Was a bit of a bitch to get it to work properly, if I may say. Anyways, if you could tell me where the spec isn't right, that would be great :)

- I think the white box you mean is a building where the colors blew to white because of the bloom effect, I tried to adjust that as well in the latest render.

- I'll improve the exterior screenies after all the material and texture are tweaked as you said before :)

Thanks for your time!

a8d9.jpg
  • Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimmstrom polycounter lvl 7
    Hey Stefan,

Yeah sure thing mate, I'll try and explain myself a little better.

Having looked at your Diffuse Only screenshots I have to be honest and say you scene looks fairly well balanced, there's not too many objects that are obviously darker or lighter than the rest of the scene. The only objects standing out for me at the moment are the really light concrete chunks in the rubble pile against the quite dark concrete.

However one thing I have noticed though is there are a lot of saturated colours everywhere and it's a bit distracting. It's almost as if your eyes don't really know what to look at first. Obviously with it being an apocalyptic scene you expect to see lots of different coloured props so I had a look at 'The Last of Us' to see how they get round this issue:

8410131984_f673e3a35a_o.jpg
    TheLastOfUs_Gamescom2012_0003.jpg

It would seem that while they do have lots of different colours in their scenes, they tend to keep any majors colours quite muted and de-saturated. For example in the first screenshot the red and blue cars aren't really standing out. Maybe you should try this with your scene and help unify the scene a little better.

As for the spec, there's just a few props that I would expect to be a bit more reflective such as the non rusted paint on the cars and the blue mail box.

Anyway hope this helps some more. I really like your portfolio and I'm surprised you haven't landed a job yet. Best of luck with the job hunting.
  • rockstar6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks Neil, that was very helpful!

I am trying to get the skybox look a bit better, it's the "sun" in the shader that's washing out that part of the screenshot. I made a small comparison of the previous state and the adjusted light setup.

wl8h.jpg

I mainly focused on the interior today and tomorrow I'll polish some of the stuff you said about the exterior. Didn't get that much done today cause I have a splittin' headache xD

cpzd.jpg

Thanks again Neil, for your time and yeah the job hunt is a bit of a bitch but hopefully something will turn up soon!

Cheers
  • rockstar6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vu81.jpg

zmi3.jpg

Small update, kinda stuck how/if I should improve the exterior compositions.
  • MrGenitiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks so fucking awesome! :) I´m so jealous of u skills ._.
    I try to make a Roleplay Game like "Last of Us" but I do not know how to make the textures and Models.

Lg MrGenitiv