Old (#1)
Fair warning do no keep scrolling down unless you want to spoil some areas in this game I highly recommend people to play this game, imo one of the best games I have played in a long time, and that is me seeing it day and day out.

. Buffer

This is some work from The Last of Us. I worked mainly as a Shader/Texture Artist, but also did my fair share of modeling in some areas. I worked with several people directly such as Adrian Castro, Heather Cerlan, David Ballard, and David Baldwin. I was hired at Naughty Dog what seems like yesterday (10 months or so ago) entered into crunch. It has been a great experience working with such a talented team. I have had the pleasure of working with two great teams ND and Crystal Dynamics (Tomb Raider) in the year 2013. Hope you all enjoy.

This is one of the level sections assigned early on when I entered Naughty Dog. I was responsible for Modeling, shader/textures, and general direction of the area. This is a small exploration space in the game. Some stuff was outsourced, but was heavily tweaked later on.

These are some of the main prototype rocks for this area.

Will post more just got image post constrained...

Last edited by rogelio; 06-20-2013 at 09:35 PM..
Rogelio Olguin Environment Artist : Linked in / Portfolio / Blog
Online , spline, 239 Posts, Join Date Nov 2009, Location CA, Santa Monica  

Old (#2)

Last edited by rogelio; 06-20-2013 at 09:29 PM..

Old (#3)
I've been waiting for this! Awesome work from you and the rest at Naughty Dog. Congrats, I've been playing the multiplayer non-stop since I beat the singleplayer which was incredible.
World Artist | Bethesda Game Studios
My Portfolio|Contact Me
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,412 Posts, Join Date Jul 2010, Location United States Send a message via MSN to aajohnny Send a message via Skype™ to aajohnny  

Old (#4)
Simply amazing looking game. Wonderful work! So glad you posted wires, they tell so much.

Can you talk some about the shader setup you guys used for terrain and props? Like, how you're blending between your textures.
Offline , Moderator++, 7,983 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Boston USA  

Old (#5)
I fucking loved the environments for the last of us! These are amazing man. Truly an inspiration.
Offline , line, 78 Posts, Join Date Aug 2012, Location San Francisco, CA  

Old (#6)
Woohoo, cool stuff man, been waiting for the environment dump of this.
Offline , polycounter, 992 Posts, Join Date Jan 2010, Location St.Lucia, West indies  

Old (#7)
Now that's bring'n sexy back. Looks great.
Offline , line, 68 Posts, Join Date Jan 2010,  

Old (#8)
Damn you guys are fast! I was going to try to post under the second post. Thanks all

Ill answer some questions in a bit...

Did general polish and clean up on shader and textures here to give the area a more united look. Was put on these for like 2-3 days. Last min fixes. These hallways represent very little work on my part but I had fun doing these sections ah last min weekend work

These were the first levels I worked on when hired than I was moved to single player levels, almost towards the end I came back for around 2-3 weeks on Multiplayer to help them on some general look dev polish. I helped out with Modeling, Shaders, Textures, and towards the end bugs. David Ballard and Heather Cerlan were the main artists on Multiplayer.

Next dump will mostly be some textures and zbrush stuff.

Old (#9)
really really cool!
And thx for posting dev shots too!
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,238 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location munich, germany  

Old (#10)
Man sweet stuff just makes me wanna go and start making a scene and good job on the game sooo good :P naughty dog knows how to make them !!
Offline , line, 60 Posts, Join Date Feb 2012, Location Toronto  

Old (#11)
Ohh God ! I wanna make one of those ... Great work as usual.
1. question:
looking at the wireframe of the outdoor shot, Do you guys use static mesh for the terrain ? No Engine landscape/terrain like in UDK ? Any specific reason for that ?
Offline , triangle, 328 Posts, Join Date Feb 2012, Location kathmandu, Nepal Send a message via Skype™ to cmtanko  

Old (#12)
Good god.
Tyler Geosano
Lighting Artist @ High Moon Studios
Offline , triangle, 415 Posts, Join Date Mar 2012, Location Carlsbad, California  

Old (#13)
Quote:
I highly recommend people to play this game
god damn, port it on PC.. and i will never buy PS3 to play one single game.. that's cruel

ps: didnt looked at pictures, maybe in some day..
Offline , spline, 115 Posts, Join Date Aug 2011, Location Russia  

Old (#14)
Awesome work dude! On the boat scene how did you handle those water striations in the sand? was that just a seamless texture blended into the other textures or is there some other trickery going on?
Offline , spline, 147 Posts, Join Date Dec 2006, Location San Francisco, CA  

Old (#15)
I've been on a naughty dog binge on the run up to the last of us. I love everything you guys touch!
Offline , spline, 186 Posts, Join Date Jan 2009, Location Coventry, England  

Old (#16)
I loved this game! It's the best game I've played since a while!
The characters are charming and are really showing some depth, and the enviroments are just STUNNING!
So after finishing it, my sis and I speculated of possibilities for a second game, ha ha ha! =D
Offline , polygon, 678 Posts, Join Date Jan 2013, Location Germany  

Old (#17)
Thanks so much for posting this! I've always been a massive Naughty Dog fan and practically get so awed by the art you guys do that I just stare at a rock or brick in game for a good while, so much that my friends tell me to hurry up and play the game already. Last of Us was fantastic, keep up the good work!
Luke Pham - 3D Artist

Portfolio
Offline , spline, 118 Posts, Join Date Apr 2011, Location Melbourne, Australia  

Old (#18)
Awesome, easily one of the best looking games of this generation. The assets by themselves are not anything crazy, but the overall design and art direction are amazing.
Offline , I love typing, 8,966 Posts, Join Date Jul 2009, Location Columbus Ohio Send a message via MSN to ZacD  

Old (#19)
Looks really great! Some horrible shading on that fire engine though ;)
Liam Tart - My Portfolio.
Offline , polycounter, 1,059 Posts, Join Date Mar 2010, Location London, UK  

Old (#20)
beautiful work.. awesome environments in this game, great job!
3D Artist at Full Fat Games
My Website
Work in progress
Offline , line, 65 Posts, Join Date Nov 2012, Location warwickshire, UK  

Old (#21)
amazing stuff. really inspiring.

How did you create the terrain? Did you use World Machine or anything like that, or just model it in 3d software?
Offline , spline, 119 Posts, Join Date Aug 2010, Location Hampshire, UK  

Old (#22)
Awesome work! Absolutely loved the game. Also got inspired to make a post-apocalyptic environment...
| Portfolio | Art Blog |
-
The Vulture, CryDev Staff
Offline , polycounter, 760 Posts, Join Date Sep 2011, Location Sthlm, Sweden  

Old (#23)
hot dump!
Offline , polycounter, 837 Posts, Join Date Aug 2007, Location Kirkland, WA  

Old (#24)
amazing stuff, loved the game great job guys
Offline , spline, 141 Posts, Join Date Oct 2005, Location NY Area Send a message via AIM to polygoo Send a message via MSN to polygoo Send a message via Yahoo to polygoo  

Old (#25)
Love the mesh shots of the environments.
Offline , polycounter, 1,081 Posts, Join Date Aug 2009, Location Atlanta, Georgia