Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

(Sketchfab) Heckler & Koch MP7 _(ಠ_ಠ)=/ ¯̿̿¯̿'̿'̿)͇̿)

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Computron polycounter lvl 7
I've been practicing my Sub-D skills on modeling the MP7 from Heckler & Koch:
zJkWOHd.png

( Fun fact: It's pronounced "Coke." Get your mind out of the gutter! )

Here is the Sub-D'ed model on Sketchfab:
(Fullscreen Link HERE)

[SKETCHFAB]pWybN7x94CHY9vscaa9Qve9kmDu[/SKETCHFAB]

...No, the LED in the flashlight is a square, that's not pinching...

...Yes, the carabiner hanging off the other side is useless...

...Sure, I can totally hang a Hello-Kitty keychain off that loop if you want...
:poly124:

And here is the same model, unsubdivided and shadeless for those of you who want to take a look at the wireframe with clarity.
(Fullscreen Link HERE)

[SKETCHFAB]lgEC9LvhTOIjl4OLyvjpHiXxYEM[/SKETCHFAB]

I don't got time at the moment to make some proper renders, so i'll post sketchfab screens in case it wont load for one of you:

m9dexxr.png
cvy28id.png
07rhA0g.jpg

Here's a small bit of the reference I used:

z9m6mLI.jpg

The gun and my model are assymetrical:

trE88rD.jpg

I'll post more soon.

I will be making a low poly and baking soon, so crits please!

Replies

• JoshWilkinson
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    The high polys look fantastic but I waited around about a minute to let the first to load and didn't bother with the second. I think uploading high polys to sketchfab is an unnecessary slowdown of efficient workflow, but the first does look good.
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    The high polys look fantastic but I waited around about a minute to let the first to load and didn't bother with the second. I think uploading high polys to sketchfab is an unnecessary slowdown of efficient workflow, but the first does look good.

The second sketchfab is just the unsubdivided wireframe, BTW. That one loads instantly. its a 1.2 mb file, IIRC. That's with this data:
    pNdccUW.png

Yeagh, the load time is something I tried to minimize. Uploading my 2x sub-d'ed.obj at 75+mb would've taken too long, especially to sketchfab's slow servers. I tried compressing the file and it turns out .objs have the perfect kind of data for that kind of thing. I got a compression ratio of ~20%! Final file size was about 20mb at the same 2x subdivision level. I wonder how Sketchfab compresses the file when serving it to the users? I hope its not uncompressed...

I recall seeing one of these webgl showcasing services that would allow you to upload the unsubdivided mesh and it would subdivide it in the user's browser, but I cant seem to find it anywhere. That would decrease the wait time about 25x!

Anyway, It's actually a bit less involved than uploading tons of screenshots. In most cases you can just upload directly from inside of max with one click using their plugin.
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Looks good nice round edges, sketchfab never works for me tho

It is clearly not pronounced coke :P Its Koch, more like Korrhh (well thats the best i can make up now, not sure if it translates right)
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe in other regions, but here is their pronounciation direct from their USA website:
    cKNm6Nu.png
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Nah man, i'm aware of that. Then again, for the record, we aren't on a german forum, and this German company's own FAQ asserts this "coke" pronunciation for English speakers, front and center. (They probably have a good reason too, lol) :poly124:

Either way, if you check out the fun fact again, it was meant as a joke , not meant to be pedantic. :\

EDIT:
    or like you would try to clear your troat when it itches for the ending :P

Still "coke" is a way pronouncing it, though not exactly the original one.

Lol, itchy. And I guess english speakers trying to pronounce it as the german "co" would make is sound like 'Heckler and Company'.

Anyway, what do you guys think? Are the edges too tight? I feel like I frequently ran into features on the reference that were too tight to add their own set of support loops, so some of them share support loops. I hope this itteration will show up nicely on my normals bake.
  • Racer445
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    gun looks much too wide

(airsoft i know but they look about right)

IMG_3021.jpg
    gr-kwa-mp7-2.jpg
  • RedRogueXIII
    Offline / Send Message
    RedRogueXIII polycounter lvl 11
    Looks good!

You may want to fill in some concave geometry for a better bake when saving polygons on the low. See Racer's MP7 where he intentionally leaves the muzzle break solid instead of hollow, and the vents as deep intrusions instead of straight tunnels through the mesh. This way he can save both time and polygons on the low, with it becoming an easier and less problematic bake. But you already have it modeled so it could be neat practice to just bake with the existing contours.

The smoothing on the wire for the tac light is twisting or doing something funny, unless that is intentional?
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn, I do have a tendency to make my guns way too wide for whatever reason. I will have to try and fix that, thanks Racer. I was just got finished with all the low poly EXCEPT the main body, so right on time.
    Looks good!

You may want to fill in some concave geometry for a better bake when saving polygons on the low. See Racer's MP7 where he intentionally leaves the muzzle break solid instead of hollow, and the vents as deep intrusions instead of straight tunnels through the mesh. This way he can save both time and polygons on the low, with it becoming an easier and less problematic bake. But you already have it modeled so it could be neat practice to just bake with the existing contours.

Isn't that a flash suppressor, rather than a muzzle brake? I was just going to paint the insides of it black in my diff and spec by baking with a small cylinder inside of it to block the rays while projecting a mask into my material map. As for the vents, do you mean the ones on the sides of the rails? I wanted to leave those open so you could see the rails slide out through them. I think you are right about the ones on top and near the front.
    The smoothing on the wire for the tac light is twisting or doing something funny, unless that is intentional?

Yes, it's intentional! You can see it in the top concept, what do you think?

How would you guys go about making a low poly for the picatinny rail?
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Nice attention to detail, great work man!
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    Computron wrote: »
    How would you guys go about making a low poly for the picatinny rail?

I think I snagged the method from racer, but I don't remember 100%. Though I'm pretty sure it was from a post 3-4 years ago.

pt_rails.png

I don't know how well it'd work out for a modern shooter with real time tess, but I've yet to go through and look @ wires for one :(

As for gun width, I typically start by getting the barrel the right diameter / dimensions. Since they're not oval shaped or anything, once you have that the right outer diameter, you can check the rest of the block in width against that & how it compares to the ref images.