Home Unreal Engine

Real-time Controllable Blurred Cubemaps

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Vailias polycounter lvl 18
I started work a few years ago on making a cube map able to be blurred by some arbitrary amount in real time. The first 5 methods got close but always failed.. then I took a year off from CG or so.
I finally had a realization of what I could do to make the cube blur work, and, one computer upgrade, and some system crashes later. I have it done.
BlurredCubeMap.jpg

It suffers the same sampling artifacts as the 2d version did, and I'm quite uncertain how to remove them, However, it would seem with much of any normal map contribution, or on a less shiny material, they may fade to be obscure enough to not be an issue.

The prime benefit to this is you can use this technique with realtime-sampled cube maps, not just pre-rendered ones.
If you are using pre-rendered exclusively, it should be far more efficient to just do the normal thing of lerping between a diffuse convoluted map and a sharp reflection map. More memory and a texture sampler needed would be needed for that, but a far more simple shader setup.

Replies

• s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    I'm sure I don't fully understand the possibilities here, But that top left is pretty wicked. I can see this being super useful in adding another dimension to reflective materials in "damaged" environments(like all the are lol). I remember aweing are Rage's reflections, But after a while they just seems like the cleanest thing in the world, and left something to be desired. So this seems pretty awesome, great work man! Looking forward to the application of this.

Edit: Derp. Nvm. In the udk sub forum, didn't even notice...:)
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CubeMapblur_Network_Thumb.jpg Click for full size

Also here's the shader network for the blurring.

Other things this opens up is a better version of imperfect refracting materials, something sorta like realtime captured image based lighting.
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    What's the instruction count like with the whole material?
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made a version with 2 different blur settings, one for diffuse lighting, and one for specular that could be transitioned between, which was about 150 instructions.

The single bit there is I believe 109-115.