Dead Space 3 Cockpit

beauty.jpg

OG.jpg

FS.jpg
  • Dee
  • tharle
    Offline / Send Message
    tharle polycounter lvl 9
    am i right in guessing these 3 pieces are posted in the order you made them? they definitely look like you're learning loads as you go down the page.

really like the cockpit - good use of lighting and all the textures and models look good. the overgrown one is definitely the weakest - there's a bit of loss of definition which i think is because of how flat the lighting and shadows are.

the blackfriars piece is fine - there's nothing that really stands out to me as being amazing or needing work here - it's very much a background building with nothing to really draw me into the scene. video games do need that but it'd be cool if you could do like a statue or fountain to create a focus point.

the throne is imo the weakest of the 3 by a pretty large margin. the lighting is really letting you down - everything is just so flat and monocolour. i'd try getting some really cool fantasy concepts from diablo or guild wars and try and match the lighting style and colour. strong blues and reds work really well together and it's a fantasy setting so you can get away with pretty much whatever you want, within reason.

good work though, with a little more work and better presentation these could all be really nice portfolio pieces.
  • Dee
    Thanks tharle,

The pieces are actually done in the opposite order with throne room being the latest.

Some good feedback here. I definitely need to work on the Overgrown piece need to do some shader work on top of the metal, some sort of a rust and moss. Lighting is definitely a thing Im trying to master.

The blackfriars piece is really like u described a background piece, but indeed it needs more interest added to it, the point of this project was to create a really game friendly asset with texture budget of just 18 mbs.

The lighting in the throne piece is mostly dark indeed, I'll try to bring out more highlights and brighter areas. The color choice was delibarate I went from the blorange colors to more monotone, for the sake of difference:
    http://i.imgur.com/8fpDsI6.jpg

Thanks man.
  • tharle
    Offline / Send Message
    tharle polycounter lvl 9
    yeah thats already looking a lot nicer.

if a piece is specifically trying to be really low texture use or highly modular make sure you make a point of saying that when you present it - they're good skills to have and if you don't say then the viewer wont know that you've not just made a boring repetitive piece!