Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

TAR-21

UPDATE:
Zy3BvLg.jpg

Hey PC! I just started a new project so that I can try and get a few more high detailed props into my portfolio. I've decided to do the TAR-21 and will be documenting my progress on here.

REFERENCE
REF.jpg

BLOCKOUT
Block01.jpg
Block03.jpg
Block02.jpg

Any suggestions, crits or comments will be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!

Replies

• RedRogueXIII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RedRogueXIII polycounter lvl 11
    Rather early to say anything meaningful. Blockout looks nice, but jpeg compression artifacts do not.

The rail does not seem to have the right profile accurate dimensions but it should be alright to deviate from reality for a better bake/ less tri usage since an accurate rail low poly uses a lot of tris for a repetitive uninteresting detail.
  • fragfest2012
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Off the top of my head, I would say that you are using too many tris in the rails, and need some more in the rest of the gun (the rails are good for high poly, but not low poly).
  • Ghostman511
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ RedRogue Yeah I'm not sure why the jpeg is compressing so badly:P Thanks for the link to the rail proportions I'll try and match the profile better.

@fragfest2012 I'm creating the Highpoly right now so I'm not worried about polycount. I'm blocking out the larger shapes and working my way to the smaller details. Some of which I plan to use Zbrush. This is my first time really making a gun, so if you (or anyone else) knows of a better method please let me know:)

Here are a few more shots of my progress. Things were slow starting but I think I'm getting faster.

Block05.jpg[/IMG]

Block06.jpg[/IMG]

Spent a lot of time today trying to get the silhouette of this handle perfect. I've been starring at it for a while so if anyone sees anything please let me know!!

Block04.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks!!!
  • Ghostman511
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    I recommend applying a material that has a high spec and a low gloss value so that we can properly crit your surfaces!

Without it it is tough to tell the forms apart.
  • Ghostman511
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Quack! Okay cool. Thanks for the tip! :)
  • HDaniel999
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The silhouette looks pretty good, you can add more details and I think you have to many tris, but good job so far! ;)
  • Ghostman511
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I think I've got the main shape done for the HP body of the rifle. I plan on using homemade stamps in Zbrush for the screws and subtract mesh for any holes. This is the first time I've ever really done a gun before so if anyone knows of a better workflow don't hesitate to let me know:)

@HDaniel999 Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll try and reduce the triangles.

A few updates:

[IMG][/img]HighP03.jpg

[IMG][/img]HighP04.jpg

[IMG][/img]HighP05.jpg

Again anyone have any suggestions, crits or comments feel free! :)

Thanks!
  • Ghostman511
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone know why my damn jpegs are compressing so poorly? I'm using Photobucket to host and never had any issue before.
  • Ghostman511
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another small update
    [IMG][/img]HighP06.jpg

[IMG][/img]HighP07.jpg

[IMG][/img]HighP08.jpg
  • Meteora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meteora polycounter lvl 8
    Looks pretty good. Not sure how I feel about all those wires running up what I think its called the forend, the top part above ejection port where the bullet shells come out after being fired. But I don't know much about Sub-D so I don't know if its fine or not.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    Meteora wrote: »
    Looks pretty good. Not sure how I feel about all those wires running up what I think its called the forend, the top part above ejection port where the bullet shells come out after being fired. But I don't know much about Sub-D so I don't know if its fine or not.
    not really any such thing as wasted tris in an HP, until the computer chugs
  • Ghostman511
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update. I've kinda been busy the past little while hence the lack of an update, but here it is.

[IMG][/img]HighP09.jpg

[IMG][/img]HighP10.jpg

C&C Please!!!

Thanks!
  • ripper351
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ripper351 polycounter lvl 5
    what process did you use to remove the geometry to create the four slanted ovals above the grips in the side of the gun. Booleans? Delete faces and bridge? just wondering.
  • Ghostman511
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ ripper251 Hey! I hate booleans! agh! soo messy! Using a cylinder that I modified to get the right shape, I deleted all the faces but one of the caps, and snapped the plane to my gun so it was flush against it (for both the inside and out). Then deleted the faces on the gun around the snapped plane, combined the two and just extruded and vertex merged to make it apart of the gun. Then deleted what was once a plane to give me the shape of the hole, and extruded one side and merged

Here's some snapshots of the process. Hope this helps!

[IMG][/img]HoleTut.jpg
  • Ghostman511
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I've been away from this project for a while with work taking over, but I've managed to get a few solid days of work in on this piece. I think I'm almost finished the HP, and am going to move onto doing an Eotech 2 scope for this badboy. Here is an update on where I'm at and if anyone sees anything that's off or needs changing let me know.

[IMG][/img]0Dw7ViV.jpg

[IMG][/img]8JQlob8.jpg

[IMG][/img]XfYNYuC.jpg

[IMG][/img]0Dw7ViV.jpg

All comments and crits welcome!
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Looks pretty good to me, here and there maybe some edges that are to sharp (the large cutouts in the middle of the gun for example).

And the front grip part, it seems like there is a small gap between that and the body (visible in the second screenshot), close that up to avoid some ray misses.
    http://imageshack.us/a/img153/4553/ri5c.jpg (add the red part).

Only thing that I'm really not to wild about is that magazine, looks like a magazine for a toy gun for some reason, but that's just my personal opinion, if you prefer it over the more standard ar15/m4 magazines, then don't change it just because of me :)
  • JoshVanZuylen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshVanZuylen polycounter lvl 5
    I must admit I did not expect this to turn out so well. Can't wait to see the low poly and some textures on this!
  • Ghostman511
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Joeriv Thanks a lot for taking the time to have a look at piece, I'll adjust those sharp edges you mentioned and fix that little ray trace issue. For the magazine I wanted to use a different type then the generic one that you see on almost every rifle, but now that you mention the "toy gun," it does look a little bulky. I might go back and make a new mag, but it depends on time. Thanks again!

@JoshVanZuylen Thanks for having a look, I will be posting updates as soon as I can!:)
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Auldbenkenobi polycounter lvl 11
    Can I ask how you got your High Poly Material to look so good? The gun is looking superb!
  • Ghostman511
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Auldbenkenobi Thanks a lot I appreciate it! um the material is literally just the blinn material in Maya with a few tweeks to the spec. Can't take much credit for that lol :P
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Auldbenkenobi polycounter lvl 11
    Ahh, thanks for letting me know :D
  • Sir Apple
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sir Apple polycounter lvl 8
    Holy tight edges!

You really need to watch your edges, right now many of them are so tight, it makes baking a normal map sort of pointless. You can already see aliasing going down on a majority of your edges.

If you don't mind, a paintover highlighting just a few of the edges.
    HiMyst0.jpg

Really important to keep the fundementals of normal baking in mind, and what the actual purpose of baking is. You want to maximize your result. Really worth going over your edges :)

Look over these common images further explaining the issue.

AaGwCNY.jpg
    6R9jTGM.jpg
  • Ghostman511
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sir Apple: Hey thanks for taking the time to take a look and paint over highlighting those tight areas. I will definitely go in and fix those edges.

But before I have a quick little update on the sight I've been working on

[IMG][/img]DHqjRp4.jpg

I may have to go back over the sight and loosen some of the edges, but any comments or crits are welcome:)
  • Ghostman511
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I went back over my edges to reduce the aliasing and it looks pretty good in the view port but in some of the renders I think they need a little more loosening. Any second opinions?

[IMG][/img]C0Ln2rj.jpg

[IMG][/img]PnWaXgc.jpg
  • Ghostman511
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey PC so I've just come back to this project again and I have a huge update. Highpoly is done, Uvs and first bake are done for the gun itself. The tri count for the gun alone is 10,665. I will continue to finish the lowpoly for the magazine and sights and get them up on here as soon as possible.

HIGHPOLY
    [IMG][/img]ZVdrejx.jpg
    [IMG][/img]RKTObuJ.jpg
    [IMG][/img]3K8qQYs.jpg
    LOWPOLY & BAKE
    [IMG][/img]0Q19I5c.jpg
    [IMG][/img]Owi87Dh.jpg
    [IMG][/img]Jy8X2xT.jpg

Any comments and crits are welcomed! :)
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    looks good at first sight.

just on the presentation was, it would be easier to judge/more attractive to look at if you added some specular/gloss. (if you are using marmoset like 1-1.5 spec, and 150-200 gloss).
    And then multiply your Ao on like a middle grey or something along those lines for the diffuse.

gives you that sort of nice metallic look, and also brings out any possible errors more.
  • Ghostman511
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Low Poly with some spec on it
    [IMG][/img]bfD64tZ.jpg
  • blinKX10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blinKX10 polycounter lvl 7
    Looking pretty damn sexy, can't wait to see a texture on it!
  • Mr. Brightside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr. Brightside polycounter lvl 8
    Seeing quite a few visible errors here, maybe re-check your cage or loosen up some edges there

mtarerrors.JPG
  • Ghostman511
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ blinKX10 Thanks for the kind words!
    @ Mr.Brightside Hey thanks for taking the time. Good catch I'll have to go back and try and fix those. Btw sweet handle, I take it you're a Killers fan?

In the meantime here's another quick update. I've baked the magazine. Again any comments and crits welcome!
    [IMG][/img]wZpIpCx.jpg
  • Mr. Brightside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr. Brightside polycounter lvl 8
    Yes I was back in '06 (not to say that I enjoy a random killers song every now and then), name just stuck, it is my interwebs alias haha.
  • Ghostman511
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's another update. I've been texturing the Tar-21, still have quite a bit to go but I thought I'd throw what I've gotten done so far. Any comments and crits are welcome! Thanks!!!

[IMG][/img]9EujLAN.jpg
    [IMG][/img]7L4i6Me.jpg
    [IMG][/img]P700a1F.jpg
    [IMG][/img]ZO9uG5L.jpg
  • Ghostman511
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I think I'm gonna call the texture done, unless somebody sees something I've missed. These are just some quick marmoset renders I've done to get any last crits, and then I plan on bringing it into UDK for some final renders. I also want to try Key Shot Pro out with my High Poly.

Texture Sizes:
    Tar-21 4096
    Aimpoint 1024
    Holographic 1024

Any comments and crits are welcomed:)

3Vcr8Vm.jpg

OM5kcYe.jpg

3Ju36OB.jpg

B2x9Ycp.jpg

I want to make some Camo Options for the final renders. Here are a few. I'd be interested to know people's opinions on the best one.
    UDrb7Xr.jpg
  • sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That light brown blotchy stuff is too much. It looks like that preset in dDo and distracts from all the hard work. Your scopes look pretty cool though.
  • Ghostman511
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @sipher3325 Thanks for taking the time to reply. Its funny I didn't even use dDo, but yeah I see the problem it poses. I'm gonna remove it and try doing the dirt differently. Thanks!
  • Ghostman511
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So after getting some crits from friends I decided to rework my texture because it was hindering the overall quality. I took some more time to refine the materials better and rethought my texture work so that it matched a more realistic style. I also redid the magazine because I started to hate the old one. It looked to chunky :poly122: . I think I'm calling this done now, unless there are any last crits. These renders are just some quick Marmoset renders I put together to get these up on the web for critique.

Comments and Crits welcome!
    Zy3BvLg.jpg
    pzLAmiE.jpg
    oSGnnUV.jpg

Thanks!