Home General Discussion

Marmoset Skyshop is GO, 1.07 is out!

*Skyshop Update* 1.07 is available now!

What can we say, this release has been a long-time coming! It is by far the most substantial Skyshop release to date. Building upon Skyshop's leading image quality in Unity, localized reflections and a good cubemap manager are paramount to achieving high scene fidelity within dynamic indoor and outdoor real-time projects. Skyshop now brings you the features and tool set to achieve this superb scene fidelity in all of your Unity projects.

1.07 introduces...
  • Sky Blending/Interpolation
  • Box Projected Cube Mapping
  • Spherical Harmonics Diffuse IBL
  • New Sky & Sky Manager System
  • Cubemap Probe System
  • ...lest we forget, Shader Forge Integration! You can now tie in Skyshop's high quality image-based lighting with Unity's most popular node-based shader editor.
Download Skyshop 1.07: http://u3d.as/4Jx

Skyshop 1.07 | Quick Reference: http://goo.gl/yAyllD

Skyshop 1.07 | Video Tutorials: http://goo.gl/C3lS0b

tumblr_n6rfvyC02a1rwuozio1_1280.png

tumblr_n6rfvyC02a1rwuozio2_1280.png

tumblr_n6rfvyC02a1rwuozio3_1280.png

Replies

• FullSynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FullSynch polycounter lvl 11
    "5. 4. 2. 1. DOWNCOUNT. Marmoset Skyshop offblast!"
    I...what???
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Looks lovely! Makes me want to elope with this, and Unity, and live happily ever after....
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Awesome! :D Best render tech ever.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    You sexy bastards. Looks amazing! :D
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Looks awesome, have you guys thought about releasing a unity powered toolbag model viewer for iOS/android?
  • jeffdr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeffdr polycounter lvl 11
    FullSynch wrote: »
    I...what???

You've not met Zlad I take it:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp_PIjc2ga4"]Elektronik Supersonik - Zlad - - YouTube[/ame]
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    Congrats :) saw it pop up on the top banner yesterday
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    So this essentially gives Unity most of the strengths of Cryengine's lighting/shading? How would you handle lighting an environment? I can't seem to find any mention of a built-in HDR cube map capturing entity, so does that mean you have to capture and import these yourself? I am not all that familiar with Unity, if that is the case, how will that work? How would skyshop lighting for environments compare to Cryengine 3's? (where you can place down a probe that will capture a HDR RBGM cubemap and project it like a deferred light..)

Skyshop looks sweet, I may have to give Unity a go. Maybe even use it to showcase portfolio assets with the web player, which is perhaps something marmoset should consider including, like a quick asset showcase kit that can easily be setup for web publishing.
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    this looks great! color me interested!
  • monkeyscience
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyscience polycounter lvl 12
    I've opened up a Skyshop master-thread on the Unity forums as well, complete with MEGA sales-pitch, for anyone who is interested.

Assets & Asset Store | Marmoset Skyshop - Image-Based Lighting & Tools
  • DeathFlail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bought it as soon as I saw it in the asset store. Marmoset and unity are two of my most favorite awesome things.. was definitely easy to click the buy button.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Pretty damn awesome. I'll definitely check it out.

Also, and I know this is off-topic, but anyone knows if anything like this is also possible with UDK?
  • Hattori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron wrote: »
    So this essentially gives Unity most of the strengths of Cryengine's lighting/shading? How would you handle lighting an environment? I can't seem to find any mention of a built-in HDR cube map capturing entity, so does that mean you have to capture and import these yourself? I am not all that familiar with Unity, if that is the case, how will that work? How would skyshop lighting for environments compare to Cryengine 3's? (where you can place down a probe that will capture a HDR RBGM cubemap and project it like a deferred light..)

I'm wondering about that too.
    I mean how does this work for a game with larger environments? The background input has to change somehow to keep the lighting believable.

Otherwise it makes only sense for games where you have a small area (i.e. Fighting games), or as neat presentation tool.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    From the Killzone 4 demo, they use light probes like these, and so does the Fox Engine I believe.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_29M8F-sRsU"]Digital Dragons - Micha? Drobot (Guerrilla Games) - Killzone: Shadow Fall - Lighting - YouTube[/ame]

- There's 3 types of reflections that are looked up, local reflections, so characters or objects in the area of the cube map that could not work in the cubemap, then the cube map reflections, and then finally the skybox reflections if it cannot find anything else to reflect.

- They have something fancy that correctly offsets the cube map reflections so a sphere will reflect the scene differently if its 5 meters if its moved in any direction. The lighting is also blended between the light probes, I've seen this done in other engines, but it can be done so that they are blended smoothly and the reflections match up accurately with parallax correction. Example

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bvar6X0dUGs"]Local Image-based Lighting With Parallax-corrected Cubemap - YouTube[/ame]
  • monkeyscience
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hattori wrote: »
    I'm wondering about that too.
    I mean how does this work for a game with larger environments? The background input has to change somehow to keep the lighting believable.

Otherwise it makes only sense for games where you have a small area (i.e. Fighting games), or as neat presentation tool.

It is possible to have multiple skies in the same scene. It is also possible to assign custom sky lighting to each object individually (actually each material for now :-/), so one could write a script that assigns a sky to every object within a given area. If the object moves to the next area, a different sky is used.

Right now Skyshop does not have any features for doing this easily, but all the pieces are there, technically. We will be exploring where we can take this IBL tech, now that the core stuff is up and running.

Having a single sky for the world works well for large out-door games, for example Darkest of Days, where the sky doesn't change much nor does the ground, and no one will notice.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    meh, no BRDF's not next-gen... :P
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Looks fantastic. Will be great for showing off really nice portfolio pieces (unity player download required no doubt). I will probably invest in this at some point.
  • chaosblade
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    Is there a trial? I'd like to evaluate it before I commit $125 for it. It looks amazing though.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    i was in the beta phase on this and can attest to how awesome it is. I recently tried working with the default lighting and it was like taking 10 steps back from where this fantastic plugin stands. great job guys!
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    This looks great! Thanks for making it. I hope you guys are able to evolve this tech over time...it seems to have tremendous potential.
  • KarlWrang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KarlWrang polycounter lvl 6
    Congratulations on the release, looks really neat!
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    So will this work when developing for mobile devices? Or is this better for just developing in Unity for consoles/PC?
  • DeathFlail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto wrote: »
    So will this work when developing for mobile devices? Or is this better for just developing in Unity for consoles/PC?
    Looking through the pack, they have shaders and scripts that seem to take mobile devices into account.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth

Pretty much this.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    so how expensive is this to run? in terms of an entire game rather than a single scene.

is it easy to add your own features to the shader code? like if i wanted to add half lambert, or some scripted emmissive movement and stuff?
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    almighty_gir: When i was messing with it last the performance hit was minimal for full worlds (maybe 10-15fps less than using standard light setups and shaders)

and adding features to the shader code is really simple, i've been able to port over all my custom shaders in no more than a few minutes each
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    that's really awesome, i'll probably take a look soon =]
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all of the responses guys!

We're committed to expanding Skyshop with more features and shaders as we go forward, if you have any specific feature requests by all means let us know.

By BRDF, do you mean you want to see a PBL shader?
    tanka wrote: »
    Is there a trial? I'd like to evaluate it before I commit $125 for it. It looks amazing though.

Sorry, we do not offer any sort of trail at this time. Unfortunately there is no way to do time-based trials through the Unity Asset Store.
    Sukotto wrote: »

Skyshop runs on iOS at the moment, but no android. Performance will depend on the specific device you're running on. We haven't done large scale testing on mobile yet. Expanded support for mobile platforms is coming soon.
    so how expensive is this to run? in terms of an entire game rather than a single scene.

is it easy to add your own features to the shader code? like if i wanted to add half lambert, or some scripted emmissive movement and stuff?

Desktop/console performance is comparable to unity's own shaders, pretty great. iOS performance is passable but has room for improvement. We are anxiously waiting for unity 4.2 which fixes some major shader issues for us.

Skyshop ships with core shader source from which all the shader permutations were generated. If you are comfortable working inside ShaderLab, you should have no trouble customizing your own shaders.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    thanks for clearing that up EQ, i've been learning CGFX language and working with unitys built in tools.

due to the lack of a trial, this is something i'll have to very seriously consider before i purchase (please don't take that as a reflection on you). i'm just not sure how much use i'll get from it personally right now, in future i may use it a lot though, and it might be extremely useful to invest in for a realtime portfolio.
  • CyberGameArts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CyberGameArts polycounter lvl 7
    Desktop/console performance is comparable to unity's own shaders, pretty great. iOS performance is passable but has room for improvement. We are anxiously waiting for unity 4.2 which fixes some major shader issues for us.

Skyshop ships with core shader source from which all the shader permutations were generated. If you are comfortable working inside ShaderLab, you should have no trouble customizing your own shaders.

Hey EQ! Fantastic job! My small little indie team is debating whether or not to get it because we are a little worried about performance. What are the capabilities and limitations, in regards to performance, to handle big open scenes with lots of shadowy spots like walls and roofs,large terrain, lots of characters running around etc.
    Either way it looks absolutely fantastic and its definitely what Unity needed ;)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey EQ! Fantastic job! My small little indie team is debating whether or not to get it because we are a little worried about performance. What are the capabilities and limitations, in regards to performance, to handle big open scenes with lots of shadowy spots like walls and roofs,large terrain, lots of characters running around etc.
    Either way it looks absolutely fantastic and its definitely what Unity needed ;)

Hey!

Its hard for us to give any concrete performance information, as it will vary so much depending on your target hardware, complexity of your game, assets, other shaders or post, etc. Skyshop performance comparable to default Unity shaders on PC/Console.

Skyshop's light is treated as ambient light. Shadows come from Unity's direct light sources and perform as well as they normally do in Unity. We do have a nifty tool to match up directional lights to light source(es) in the IBL content.

Skyshop comes with a variety of shaders as well, some are more complex, for instance we have a shader that supports normal mapping, full color specular with gloss, transparency, and emmissive, which is our most expensive shader. However, in real world use there would be very few assets you would want to use a shader like this on, so depending on your material complexity, you can use simplified shaders for better performance.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    due to the lack of a trial, this is something i'll have to very seriously consider before i purchase (please don't take that as a reflection on you).

This is totally understandable. Ideally we would like to offer a trial but any sort of time limited demo is against Unity's Asset Store policies. Hopefully as more people start using it and showing off what it can do it will help sway you. :poly124:
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Thanks for all of the responses guys!

We're committed to expanding Skyshop with more features and shaders as we go forward, if you have any specific feature requests by all means let us know.

By BRDF, do you mean you want to see a PBL shader?

don't get me wrong it looks great, but yes, more physically accurate shaders, but then you would need a nice lighting system to company that. Not sure when RAD is showing off the engine, but this is close to how we have it.
  • PacoCasares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PacoCasares polycounter lvl 11
    this is incredible, can you render full scale scenes using this? or only small assets? I can dream of making an environment portfolio using this lighting.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is incredible, can you render full scale scenes using this? or only small assets? I can dream of making an environment portfolio using this lighting.

You certainly can use Skyshop to render full scenes, right now Skyshop is most suitable for outdoor areas, but you can also do interior areas by generating cubemaps from your actual level/scene in Unity (there are some cool tools in the Asset store to do this) and then apply that cubemap to your Skyshop shaders for interior objects.

For future releases we're looking into some ways to automate this sort of setup for greater lighting flexibility.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We've got an introduction tutorial up for Skyshop here: http://www.marmoset.co/skyshop/learn
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Is there any kind of limitation related to the differences between Unity pro and Unity free ? For instance and if I remember correctly, Unity free does not support cast shadows.

So what happens when Skyshop is being plugged into Unity free ? Would cast shadows (as seen in the Vespa screenshots) actually appear in the scene ?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    Is there any kind of limitation related to the differences between Unity pro and Unity free ? For instance and if I remember correctly, Unity free does not support cast shadows.

So what happens when Skyshop is being plugged into Unity free ? Would cast shadows (as seen in the Vespa screenshots) actually appear in the scene ?

Hey P,

Skyshop works along side various unity functions such as dynamic lights, shadows, baked lighting, etc. Shadows are not integrated into skies in the same way that they are in Toolbag, so Skyshop IBL data acts as ambient light and reflection. You can add lights to match up with any light source(s) in your panorama, which is a bit more flexible than the Toolbag system (where the main light direction and intensity is fixed). We also have a nice tool for matching up direction lights to specific points in the IBL content.

We're reliant on Unity's systems for shadows, so you will need Unity Pro to get shadows unfortunately. Word is shadows will be in Unity Free soon though.
  • monkeyscience
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Free shadows are supposedly coming in Unity 4.2, along with free mobile platforms. It sounds like the Unity folks are erasing many of the lines between Free and Pro.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We just finished up a video walktrough/tutorial for Skyshop, check it out:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcBJ5uoMF3E[/ame]
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    The video is currently private. :/
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commador wrote: »
    The video is currently private. :/

Whoops, should be public now.
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    ZacD wrote: »
    From the Killzone 4 demo, they use light probes like these, and so does the Fox Engine I believe.

Digital Dragons - Micha? Drobot (Guerrilla Games) - Killzone: Shadow Fall - Lighting - YouTube

- There's 3 types of reflections that are looked up, local reflections, so characters or objects in the area of the cube map that could not work in the cubemap, then the cube map reflections, and then finally the skybox reflections if it cannot find anything else to reflect.

- They have something fancy that correctly offsets the cube map reflections so a sphere will reflect the scene differently if its 5 meters if its moved in any direction. The lighting is also blended between the light probes, I've seen this done in other engines, but it can be done so that they are blended smoothly and the reflections match up accurately with parallax correction. Example

Local Image-based Lighting With Parallax-corrected Cubemap - YouTube

To expand on these, and because I saw a lot of people in the unity forums asking about cube map blending, Remember me released a good tech video about how they dealt with cube map blending,

http://www.fxguide.com/featured/game-environments-parta-remember-me-rendering/

It's halfway through, under Reflection system.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the link Zac, we're definitely going to look into ways we can improve the cube map generation system.

In other news, Alec Moody posted a video using Skyshop to demo Handplane converted normal maps in Unity. Converting your normal map with Handplane and the Unity preset gives the best quality (I've tested this with my worst-case normal map mesh).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFTVxZ-93sA"]handplane unity comparison - YouTube[/ame]
  • Teessider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Teessider polycounter lvl 11
    We have just got this at work and this is great! Everything looks awesome now. Are there any plans to develop for android in near future?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Teessider wrote: »
    We have just got this at work and this is great! Everything looks awesome now. Are there any plans to develop for android in near future?

Awesome, glad to hear it!

We've actually got an update coming very soon with revamped mobile shaders, so keep an eye out for it.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    banner103.png

Skyshop 1.03 is now available in the Asset Store!
    Visit the Store Page to purchase or upgrade your existing license for free!

Full Shader Source
    Source-code for all PC & mobile shaders is now included, allowing ShaderLab to build to platforms we don't have access to (consoles) or just plain forgot (DX11).

Multiple Shadows
    Added fullforwardshadows pragma to all shaders for great justice.

Deferred Lighting
    All non-mobile shaders now feature a deferred rendering path.

Cubemap Probes (Requires Unity Pro)
    Added tools to render cubemaps from inside the scene, from the point of view of any selected object.

Lots of Shader Improvements!
    - Fixed Android support!
    - Faster mobile shaders
    - proper fallbacks for all shaders
    - Conform to storing specular exponent in o.Specular and mask in o.Gloss

Fixed Transparency Bugs
    - Fixed point & spotlight bugs in "Cutout" shaders
    - Using "alphatest:_Cutoff" pragma instead of AlphaTest tag
    - Fixed premultiplied alpha & IBL in "Glass" shaders

Black .HDR Files
    - .HDR images with an exposure of 0 are now handled properly

Other tweaks
    - "Auto-detect Colorspace" now detects mobile platforms
    - Default diffuse cube size is now 64 x 64 per face
    - Fixed Sky.cs Memory Leak
    - "Use as GI" button now requires Beast XML config file
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    Looks incredible, great job! I'll have to figure out a way to use this sometime soon :)