Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Wobyen

FINISHED PIECES

TFNVgJB.jpg

NZY07QI.jpg

XQ9jBGO.jpg

0IwKPCC.jpg

Skyrim Mod - http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fsteamcommunity.com%2Fsharedfiles%2Ffiledetails%2F%3Fid%3D152425458&h=iAQE6ID4M
3ikEi8T.jpg

Current WIP
lqmB1SD.jpg

Hi guys!

I am a freelance graphic designer/video editor/vfx artist who has worked in the games industry (QA) with hopes of becoming a CG artist.

Long story short, I've derived a lot of inspiration from the Portfolio wiki of this website and have decided to upload artwork here every Friday (minimum) for all the criticism and advice you folks are willing to give.

Feel free to be as harsh and honest as you want. I need the extra eyes! I am hoping this sketchbook will put some pressure on me to meet weekly deadlines.

I am completely new to baking normal maps and creating game assets, and am aiming to create a props focused portfolio aimed at the games industry. So the goal of each piece will be to be portfolio worthy. And the goal of the thread is to create so many assets I can choose the best in a few months.

I have only been modeling for a year or two and can finally see that I will get nowhere staying in hiding. So as scary as it is...here's a some of my past modeling work that I'm proud of!

Baron Von Fancy Bot
onL7H7U.jpg

Les Paul Guitar
YWRHw8z.jpg?

Firefly Inspired Pistol (was going to normal map it but I'm saving it for later when I actually know wtf I'm doing)
FpVL8si.jpg?

Grim Fandango Office
bBYKKoqh.jpg

Replies

• wobyen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, I took a lot of inspiration from the props wiki here as well, and decided to start with something rather simple for the first normal map/low poly piece I'm doing. The video tutorials in there were great and centered around knives, so I am doing something similar for my first serious shot at this.

I modeled the high poly this weekend and think it's looking pretty good. Might clean up a few spots here and there, and from now til Thursday will be working on low poly and map bakes.

4vysEmCh.jpg

I am not super concerned with texturing for this folio, so I am not sure if I will focus on that at all -- I really just want to showcase that I can model things, and make them game ready. But does anyone think having clay renders like this would hurt my chances?
  • Devart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the room
  • wobyen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Devart!

So I gave the normal map a shot today. The high poly was about 33000 verts, the low poly is down to 1485.

There are some artifacts on the blade guard and some odd seams on the side of the blade itself that I'm not too crazy about. But this is my first normal map ever.

Anyone have thoughts or input on what I'm doing right or wrong?

(Workflow is 3dsMax exploded RTT --> Export SMB's with cage and smoothed normals --> XNormal --> Marmoset).

Low Poly
    JpIgsOZ.jpg

With normal map applied
    tNRLuYZ.jpg

Normals
    OQwlEfY.jpg
  • wobyen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Having more luck, or at least getting some where.

Redid the low poly and projection:

EWJkbSm.jpg

New Normal map (w/o padding)

YsuPrHP.jpg

Applied

UB22Uhm.jpg

Still more work to be done, but I feel like progress is being made! Woo!

I'm not having that much luck with smoothing groups and normals. I've been getting much better results setting the SMB export settings to "smooth normals" rather than with my manual settings.
  • wobyen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, so it actually looks pretty darned perfect in nDo...huh.

Anyone reading have an opinion? I don't know what to trust!!!!

zx4nIhD.jpg
  • wobyen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Duh. I flipped Y and upped my resolution and this is the result in marmoset. Woo! Looks great to me!

jLy4hOR.jpg

But now that I've discovered the magic of nDo, I am not finished yet! :-D
  • wobyen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress! Slightly edited normal map, specular map, and a rough diffuse map in Marmoset. Starting to look pretty good, I think! Will be excited to move on soon, haha.

GAopstA.jpg

Sdonyqo.jpg
  • wobyen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just posted this in pimping and previews, but it's finally done! Moving on to the next project...just have to decide what now!

High and Low modeled in 3dsMax.
    Normal mapped in xNormal
    Normal map extras using nDo2 (wood texture and text)
    AO map from 3dsMax
    Spec map in Photoshop
    Displayed using Marmoset Toolbag
    2600 tris.

TFNVgJB.jpg
    qe7cA7t.jpg
  • wobyen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First ever sculpt in Mudbox. Amazing what you can learn in a day!

NZY07QI.jpg
  • wobyen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP I started this weekend.

yDJXISm.jpg
  • wobyen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phew, missed a few days, but I've been busy working!!!

This is my second time going through the full game workflow, and this time I decided to try a MOD! Very intimidating.

I am super new at all this, so feedback is welcome. Guitar should probably be a little smaller and the normal map is being finicky. But I'm hoping this could help pad out the portfolio a bit, so have at it!

Here are the results!

http://youtu.be/kpeKnRn3u-Y

^^ Can't figure out how to embed but watch the video first!!! ^^

Textured Low Poly

[SKETCHFAB]9vHE35Zl1M2AuFI8y2nfhHjuloO[/SKETCHFAB]

XQ9jBGO.jpg
    0IwKPCC.jpg

In game
    3ikEi8T.jpg

Maps
    lMF72Yv.jpg
  • wobyen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started a new piece...Boy was this a pain in the ass to model sub-d style.

ROC0Wjx.jpg

kovsv5P.png
  • wobyen