Old (#1)
Hey guys, now that the Escape challenge is over (failed to finish in time, by a tiny bit, booo.) I'm going to start doing more Dota2 item sets, i loved doing the Dota2 PC challenge and have some concepts im ready to get started on. Just going to post my previous entry, as this is going to be where I put all my Dota2 works.

My shop - http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/7...les/?appid=570

Last edited by TrevorJ; 05-14-2013 at 09:10 PM..
Offline , polygon, 644 Posts, Join Date Feb 2010,  

Old (#2)
So the next hero i want to make a set for is Ursa. I've been playing a lot of him lately and really like his play style. He's great in pubs but can get kited and stun locked very easily. Any who here's two concepts i did the other day over lunch. Let me know what you guys think. Which you prefer, and any changes/additions variations I should try. Thanks!

Old (#3)
Ok, here's a blockout i did over lunch. going to bring it all into zbrush tonight. Preferences? I'm still not sure which one i like more, i might just make both.

Old (#4)
Updates!

I decided i liked both so i'm going to do both. Going to start on the lowpoly tonight to see if i'm going to have any troubles polycount wise before i go into any more detail highpoly.

Thoughts?

Old (#5)
I personally like the set with the giant skull more. I kinda like how big everything is but at the same time I would suggest to maybe try scaling some pieces down a bit since he still needs to look pretty agile. If anything its worth testing out just to see if it looks any better or worse. I'm also working on an Ursa set and ran into some scale issues along the way. Something else I would be weary of is the fact that the shoulder armor will probably clip with the ears once you actually get it in game. That's what happened to me today after finally getting it in engine... I'm assuming some weight painting and better attachment to the rigging might solve it but I've never really worked with any rigging so its gonna take some research and experimenting to figure it out.

Whenever you have a chance, maybe take a look at mine and tell me what you think? http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120538

Cheers!
Offline , line, 69 Posts, Join Date Apr 2013,  

Old (#6)
Hey Thnk, thanks for the feedback, your the second person to say both sets looked too big, looking at them over lunch I totally agreed, so i shrank the metal version shoulders and forearms down, and shrank the skull down a bit and tried to give the leather shoulder a bit more room. Im going to keep going on the lowpoly and quickly skin to see if i run into the problems you were describing, im thinking i will, and will have to go back and revise some things.

looking at it now, I really need to figure something out for the leather Sets arms

Last edited by TrevorJ; 05-22-2013 at 11:43 AM..

Old (#7)
Awesome, I think its already looking better.

Also just wondering if by any chance, maybe you could maybe take a couple screen shots of the skinning process/a video of when you test it in game whenever you get around to finishing the low poly. By the looks of your portfolio you have way more experience with that stuff than I do, so I would love to see how you set it up in hopes that I can hopefully fix mine without many complications.
Offline , line, 69 Posts, Join Date Apr 2013,  

Old (#8)
figured out a little blocker i had with the collar, Its still getting intersected in the portrait view, i need to make an lod0 for that one anywho so thats next. Thoughts on texturing? Im also going to add some more geo to the back piece for deformation i dont like the way its getting wavvy when he runs and such. any feedback would be awesome, the other set is also coming along, but i have a freelance contract to focus on after i finish this set.

Old (#9)
So i finally finished one of these Ursa sets, heres the collection link below. Throw me a vote if you like it, thanks!

The Bear Necessities
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=152990578

Old (#10)
btw a newbie question, how do you take preview picture like the ursa one shown there? with his body grayscaled and leaving the selected item colored.
Offline , vertex, 41 Posts, Join Date May 2013,  

Old (#11)
Hey, archie. I just take a screenshot in maya with the background set to pure green to easily select it and delete. Then ill either lasso select the item or take another screenshot of just the item to have two separate images. Then i just desaturate one of them in Photoshop. + simple radial gradient.

Old (#12)
ohhh, because I want to do a better preview pic, but cant find a way to do it haha. tried with model viewer from SDK, but it cannot load the hero model and my item together..
Offline , vertex, 41 Posts, Join Date May 2013,  

Old (#13)
Hey look at that! My first items in Dota2, i had kind of given up on this set. I was going to see if i could get that particle FX stuff to work, but i guess I wont have to now.

http://www.dota2.com/store/itemdetails/20202

Old (#14)
Congrats Trevor! Very cool set, it's a great addition to the shop
Offline , line, 82 Posts, Join Date May 2013,  

Old (#15)
Alrighty, now that work is calming down a bit from crunch im able to work on some dota stuffs again.

I'm doing a set for Earthshaker, played him a couple times lately and he's newly updated so thought it give it a try. For his totem i'm doing a large drum. Here are a few concepts. Let me know what you guys think. More stuff for the rest of the set coming soon.

The black round things will be amber or stone gems or something. The rest of the pieces will be wood and rope.

Old (#16)
Little wip shot after tonight, still working on the bracers and belt, cant think of anything for the head yet

Old (#17)
Wow that totem is great Trevor, looking forward to seeing the whole set!
Offline , polycounter, 808 Posts, Join Date Nov 2010,  

Old (#18)
Looks like it fits ES' sound effects pretty well
Offline , triangle, 399 Posts, Join Date Jun 2013,  

Old (#19)
Thanks guys! finished the highpoly for the bracers, still pondering on the belt, I'm not happy with my initial concept, it was starting to look all the same. Still working, might have something by the end of the night

Old (#20)
Well i just went with my initial idea for now, well see if i can get this design under the poly limit and still looking ok. If not i might have to redo the belt. Thoughts?

Old (#21)
Oh man those ropes and how inter-wine. Do you model them in 3D modeler or sculpt? Care to share how you do it?
Offline , polycounter, 903 Posts, Join Date May 2013,  

Old (#22)
*edit

Hey vayne, thanks. Its just an IMM brush I downloaded and then pushed and pulled the geo around after, ill try to find the link

heres a link to the brush
http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthr...l=1#post964309

Holding shift while drawing the curve around a cylindrical object will actually make a circle. And then you can just use "group split" to break the stroke off into a new mesh, and then use the move tool on that.

Last edited by TrevorJ; 08-22-2013 at 07:27 PM..

Old (#23)
Thanks TrevorJ, really appreciate it.
Offline , polycounter, 903 Posts, Join Date May 2013,  

Old (#24)
The ES items are looking really great! Keep it up, man!
Ezra Lau - Looking for Work!
Portfolio - Blog
Offline , spline, 192 Posts, Join Date Nov 2010, Location Calgary, Alberta  

Old (#25)
Update, got everything baked down had to make some adjustments, mainly on the belt. Got it ingame before i really started texturing anything, this is just a quick paint of possible colors and an ambient occlusion bake.

On a technical note, what's with Earthshakers weird scaling issue? I've found a couple threads talking about it, i'm assuming its happening in engine, as there's no scale on the rig bones or my meshes, (froze transforms/delete history etc) Trial and error seems to work, people are saying the difference is about 80%.

My question is where is the engine scaling point located? is it at the root joint? another joint? or object/vertices center? Any info on this would be amazing.

Here's a thread i found, i think that's Vlad in it, not sure though.

http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=100453

Anywho, here it is with base colors, scaling is close but i still need to get it better.