Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Mixamo Contest] - KristaW - Carny Worker (WIP)

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
KristaW polycounter lvl 9
I am probably way out of my league with this contest but I want to have fun and try anyways :D
My idea is to make a character who works in a traveling circus and comes across a page from the Voynich Manuscript hidden among the circus' collection of uncanny things.
I see her being strong and sexy. And I imagine her having the look of a modern day street kid, or gutter punk. She is very accustomed to travel and I see her adventuring with her best friend or lover that she met at the circus. I'll post the mood sheets after I register.
Yay! Excited!

Replies

• KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, after I read about this contest yesterday and mulling it over this was the general look I wanted my character to have. I definitely want her to have dreadlocks and I am leaning towards the Mohawk dreads of the girl in the lower left corner. Critiques and comments are totally welcome. I'm mostly doing this to learn and have fun.

moodsheetgen.jpg

I think it would be really fun to give her harem/drop crotch pants to play with the silhouette. And supposedly they make these as workout clothing so it might fit nicely with the fact that she will always be on the move.

moodsheetpants.jpg

So this is a feel for the rest of the outfit. I definitely want to emulate the patched up look of gutter punks and I would like to make a slim fitting patched vest with some metal. Still trying to figure if I want a pack or not to emphasize the adventuring side of her. And the shoes should be colorful sexy work boots.

moodsheetvestshoepack.jpg

And lastly I want her to have jewelry in her dreads, on her hands, around her neck, and one her arms and wrist.

moodsheetjewelry.jpg
  • TipsyMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome idea! Can't wait to see what you come up with!
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks TipsyMonk!

Here are some quick concepts. The first one I made is pretty bad. Sometimes you just have get out your bad concepts first, haha.

thumbnailsd.jpg
  • Dryulya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    references of interest. interesting sketches. I love it.
  • minorthreat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    minorthreat polycounter lvl 7
    I'm all about crust punks and the DIY scene here in denver, I can't wait to see what direction you take this in. Seriously, if there's anything to capture the spirit of a modern day adventurer, it'd be the post-consumerist nomads who dare to live against the grain of the system.
  • ljsketch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ljsketch polycounter lvl 6
    interesting references. I like the concept.
  • jStins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    Interesting idea for the character and your references have a lot of potential. I like the bottom middle thumbnail the most so far.

I'm not sure what you could incorporate visually to communicate the story of the character, but here are a couple links that may spark some inspiration.

http://danielstainer.wordpress.com/2011/04/17/a-small-town-traveling-circus-one-photographers-story-of-americana/

http://www.johndeckerphotography.com/#/Carnival%20workers/Ohio/1

Good luck with the contest!
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Dryulya and @ljsketch, Thank you!

@minorthreat, I agree. When I think modern day adventurers I think of someone very wealthy doing it the boring way or I think of street kids and crust punk doing it the fun way so I went with crust punk :D

@jStins, Thanks for your input on the thumbnails. I feel like I am also leaning towards the bottom middle and the bottom right.
    I have definitely been brainstorming ways incorporate her story as a carny worker and not just a hipster/crust punk. I tried to get in contact with some hipsterish carny workers from Bellingham but that hasn't materialized yet. I did take some inspiration from the links, thank you, particularly in the second link. I think having her wear something with an obvious circus logo would definitely help push it. Then I have two ideas. I originally envisioned her as a booth worker so I could give her a an apron/coin holder but it might be interesting to have her be a clown. I wouldn't want to have her in a full clown suit so if I did make her a clown I thought that I could depict her after she has gotten off her shift for the night. I could try make her face look as if she tried to wipe of all of the clown makeup but there would still be a faint outline around the mouth and maybe a bunch of missed spot near her hairline. This second idea would be more challenging to pull off but it might make her more interesting too. If anyone has thoughts on this let me know.

So, hopefully I can post my progress soon. School keeps me pretty busy but I am hoping to have my base mesh done by today or tomorrow.
  • tryl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tryl polycounter lvl 7
    Unique idea :)
    I like the top middle
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally got my base mesh going. There are things I'm not totally happy with, like the butt, but it's a start. Critiques welcome.
    basexa.jpg
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Took notes of obvious things that are wrong and that I need to fix and drew in some hair to double check if I have captured the face's base that I want.

revise.jpg

Edited this after the picture disappeared. Does anyone know if ImageShack takes down pictures that they deem offensive?
  • jStins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    Your last image isn't showing up for me.

Good start on the body, but I think it's a bit too tall compared to the thumbnail drawings and doesn't communicate the youth that you laid out in the ref/thumbnails.
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, weird, it was up last night. I will fix that...
    @jStins: I agree that her height is off. I adjusted it last night after posting but I will evaluate it again against the thumbnails :) After scanning over the figure I think it is the face and the butt that make her look older than she should so I will try add some youth to those parts, ha ha. Thanks so much for your feedback!
  • opico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    opico polycounter lvl 3
    You have some nice ref sheets!
    I like the concept/sketch in the middle of the top row.
  • alphajayel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alphajayel polycounter lvl 6
    wow we have similar ideas for the design! haha well not really that similar. I just remembered my ideas after seeing your sketches. Nice job there!
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @alphajayel, have you entered the contest? I took a peek at some of your work and I can tell you would make something awesome! Was your idea a carny worker or a punk?
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was hoping to be further along at this point but I got knee deep in anatomy that will be covered up, haha. Couldn't help myself. Made her shorter and tried to make her younger in the face but now she almost looks older. I look at it with fresh eyes tomorrow. Here's my wip:

wip01l.jpg
    wip02.jpg
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    hi there, the body looks nice but i think you should spend some more time on the face to really get those features down.

a good way to get a nice face is pick an actor you like and try to recreate their face on your sculpt (ofc it dosnt have to be exactly the same, use is more as a guideline).
  • ShelleyR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey girl!

I agree with lotet, the body is coming along nicely especially the hands, shoulders, & neck, but the face looks a little bit... creature-ish or something. It could be that the eye socket doesn't seem to recess into the face at all at the outer corner (and some people do have that) but those bowed-out cheekbones drop down into narrow, tiny mandible pretty dramatically and somehow the cheeks just seem like there isn't room for teeth or something...

The but & lower back are really nicely shaped too. I think maybe the crease where the legs transition to the pelvis might need to be more pronounced.

Can we get a closeup of the hands?! I am really loving those and I want to see them up close!

~Shelley
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @lotet, Thanks, I feel like this is one of the more successful bodies that I have done. Still a lot to fix, though. (knees! omg where did they go? haha) The face definitely has problems. After coming back to it with fresh eyes it looks slightly appealing but does not look human.I'm definitely going to take your advice and find an actress with hopefully several views to work off of. Speaking of, can anyone think of an actress that looks like this? She is my main influence except I would like to keep a the slightly larger nose that my model has but would love to nail down the eyes and cheekbones similar to hers.
    3513167547883aced5e8m.jpg

@ShelleyR, aww you're so sweet. I see what you mean with there being no room for teeth. Maybe she only has two, like a rat, haha. I took some snips of the hands for you but you might not like them as much when you see them up close, BUT there not the worst hands I ever made so I don't mind showing them off.
    handsxt.jpg
  • ShelleyR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aw yeah look at those fabulous hands! Those are better than any hands I've sculpted haha! I should practice some...

Thanks for showing them up close XD
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awww, thanks! Here is my wip on the face before I crawl into bed
    wip03r.jpg
  • ShelleyR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The eye sockets are definitely looking better to me but I still think the chin is a bit narrow. Keep at it, girl. you got this.
  • MonteCristo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One of the things I find really useful at this stage is poly painting. It's so fast to do and once you put some eyebrows on there and some eyeballs you'll really get a sense of how she's looking. My advice:

1) Paint up.
    2) Add eyes textures and a gel shader.
    3) Sleep on it.
    4) Make fixes when you have a fresh look at it.

Liking the form of the hands.
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks MonteCristo. Took a week off of it because school dominates my life currently but got to work on it a little today. The pants are super rough. same with hair. Mostly there for silhouette information.
    wip04o.jpg
    wip05.jpg
  • jeebs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeebs polycounter lvl 11
    Cool work :) I really like the face now. great progress
  • ShelleyR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh yes. Much improved on the face. I'm seeing that photo you wanted it to look like in there a lot more now.
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eeee, sorry finals kept me super busy! But I've had time to finally work on this again the last couple of days. Everything is still pretty rough, although the shoes are getting close. Threw on some base colors and materials.

Next things that I am going to add is accessories like bracelets, piercings, socks, and a bandanna. Then I am going to possibly make a punk jacket for her :) Hopefully I will be able to finish this in time before the deadline but there is definitely so much more to do :poly122: Ah well, it's been fun regardless.Anyways, here she is.

1exr.jpg

0uhi.jpg

12jv.jpg
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked on it a little more today. I'm playing around with accessories. I definitely want to keep the suspenders and I might make them and the socks be rainbow colored :) I was also need to figure out where I was going to put the circus brand somewhere. Button on her suspenders? A patch on her shirt? A patch on her pants? I'm still thinking she needs a punk jacket and I need to address her hair soon :)

I also put some stitching on her shoes and I'm probably calling those done, sculpting wise.

heqa.jpg

c9k.jpg
  • chudork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chudork polycounter lvl 8
    sweet detail on the boots! :D, how did you make the laces?
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aww thanks, chudork. The laces were actually a huge pain in the ass and I need to figure out a better way to do them in the future. The first thing I tried was the insert curve brush in zbrush. Then under brush Modifiers I chose the shoelace. I tried to draw out the path the shoelaces would go and then tried to wrestle it to the right spot for what seemed like an hour. Then I tried using the same brush but chose wide strap instead. I had the same wrestling issue after the curve was drawn. So finally I just made a short wide strap (for one section of a shoelace) and when it was its own subtool I moved and sculpted it. Then I duplicated that mirrored it. Then I duplicated those two straps down the rest of the shoe. It was not as efficient as I would have liked, hahaha.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    good looking boots indead. ye, boots are a pain.
    the copy paste method is in my opinion the best one, but however you do it, boots are just plain horrible to do. Everythime I do a pear I swear my next character isnt going to wear any :P
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Latest update. I'm going so slow...really thinking I'm going to miss the deadline, but I am enjoying how this is turning out. I need to start putting patches on her if she is going to be a crust punk. I am aware that she is the cleanest crust punk in history right now and I do intend to change that. Sometimes when I look at her she looks like she is about to yodel, ha ha. I think it is the socks, suspenders, and pants. I will have to make a push to change that.

6vbl.jpg
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @lotet, it is comforting to know shoes are a pain in the ass for everyone :). I have done a shitty job with shoes before so I wanted to make sure I could do shoes with this character. maybe I spent too much time though because they ended up being the most polished thing so far, ha.

I did a paintover to solidify the direction I want to head. I realized a jacket would dull up the silhouette I crafted for her so I decided to go with makeshift sweater sleeves. The tights will just be made with polypaint. I had so much fun with making the leather of the boots that I am going to throw in a leather fanny pack. I will also put leather straps in her hair and maybe on her sleeves and neck. That will make the boots seem more unified in the overall design. The patch on her stomach will have the circus' name and possibly the logo.

a2dn.jpg
  • Anais
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there! Just a quick reminder that the deadline for your submission has been extended: you have until tonight (Monday July 8, 11:59:59 pm PST) to email us your entry.

If you have any issue with the Auto-Rigging or Animating, our awesome support team is here to help out so feel free to email support@mixamo.com and use the word "contest" in the subject of your email so that we get back to you before the end of the day.

Almost theeeeeere!
    Good luck!