Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

BTR-90 armored personnel carrier

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Mathis polycounter lvl 11
Hey everyone,
currently I'm working on a BTR-90, a russian infantry transporter, on my spare time.
The highpoly is nearly finished and I hope you guys can help me with some critics and feedback about the current version.
So, enough talking- here are the screens:

Final Update from 13.12.2013:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqeMTQFItNI"]BTR 90 - UDK - Mathis Widrat - YouTube[/ame]

Update from 08.08.2013:

random53aj9b.jpg

Update from 17.07.2013:

asd1g7suu.jpg

Update from 13.07.2013
:

btr_10gsnt.jpg

Highpoly:

mgf94duy.jpg

enehv44b.jpg

Replies

• BucketOfNuggets
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BucketOfNuggets polycounter lvl 6
    Looks great! The front to me though seems a little to long and pointed

BTR-90_with_Berezhok_turret.jpg
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo polycounter lvl 11
    Looks great! Dont forget weldlines!
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The plate on the bow of the IFV should be much thicker and longer. It rotates ~60 degrees forward to improve handling during amphibious operations.
    btr-90_048_of_169.jpg
    http://www.primeportal.net/apc/yuri_pasholok/btr-90/ has some very nice hi-res reference photos.
  • Mathis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your feedback so far.

I shortened the front and made the plate on top of it larger. Hope you are satisfied with it:

sucqvqjq.jpg
    DWalker wrote: »
    It rotates ~60 degrees forward to improve handling during amphibious operations.
    Ah, always wondered what's the function of this part. Thanks, good to know.
    Gheromo wrote: »
    Looks great! Dont forget weldlines!
    Yeah, I thought about editing the main chassis in mudbox. The weldlines are one of the first things on my list ;)
  • Mathis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just finished working on the lowpoly.
    Here are the current screens- if someone has any improvements please go ahead ;)
    Edit:
    The vehicle currently has 17,638 polys.

front1mjon4.jpg

back1w3r7l.jpg
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure you need that many polygons on the face of the tires. Depending on the viewing distance, your smaller-diameter details (lights, gun barrel) may have too many faces.

Do you have a polygon count for the low poly version?
  • Mathis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you have a polygon count for the low poly version?
    Sure, totally forgot to add...
    Currently there are 17,638 polys. I wanted to make everything a little more highpoly then I usually do, so I aimed for about 20k- even so I'm still under the limit.
    The Btr90 is only made to show it in my portfolio, so the vehicle itself won't be placed in any game. Maybe in a small scene I'm about to make, can't say for sure.
  • Mathis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well well, no update for more then 1 month, I feel real sorry about that...
    Even so I already started texturing the Btr and mostly finished the turret textures. Currently I'm on the chassis itself. After that one there will be a third texture for the wheels.
    So, here is the current version, heavy w.i.p. on the chassis of course.

1_front_2eqsjc.jpg

Hopefully I'm going to finish the chassi's texture within the next two weeks.
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    The texture and modeling work so far is coming along great. REALLY like the texture and baking that we can see with this screenshot. Can't wait to see it with future progress. Really not much to add after the corrections, IMO, really good balance of wear, noise, and cleanliness right now in the texture. Maybe a SUPER slight bump in saturation, but thats just getting nitpicky.
  • Pixelatedkiwi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pixelatedkiwi polycounter
    Loving the boot prints :) This is looking great, looking forward to seeing more.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Really nice texture, dont miss out on a great light setup there, you can make this really nice photorealistic with that texture and model.
    I'm not sure you need that many polygons on the face of the tires. Depending on the viewing distance, your smaller-diameter details (lights, gun barrel) may have too many faces.

Strongly against simplifying things such as lamps and tires. Totally don't get this taking polys away for the sake of taking polys away. If a good rendition of that shape demands those polys then they should be there. This is no prop you put on a table where you probably glance at it for a second. Its a piece of work in total focus of that mesh. You gotta think about the usage and why it was created.

Forza 3 cars have 50k polys ingame.

Ah and btw, the car showcase LOD0 has 170.000 Polys.

Its about what makes sense for which usage and what you can justify.

A mesh created for the sole purpose of showing it off sounds pretty much
    like showcase to me. So he is pretty good in budget id say.

For something like Bad Company 2, the current one is pretty spot on.

(Next-Next gen will easily double all that again anyways.)
  • sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is lookin sick
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    looking gooood
  • looprix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looprix polycounter lvl 8
    agreed. coming along great!
  • merc-ai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great! Really loving the texture work you did
  • Mathis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all those comments, they really helped me keeping motivated. Even so I achieved less this week then planed. I Was quite busy with company work and finding a theme for my upcoming bachelor thesis. But enough excuses for today.

Currently working on the bottom texture. I'm going to lower the saturation on some areas of the camouflage, thanks for the hint Add3r. Also going to start with the wheels next week.
    From now on I'll try to post at least one screen every week. So here's the current one:
    btr_19ws3q.jpg
  • woot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woot polycounter lvl 5
    Mathis wrote: »
    Thanks for all those comments, they really helped me keeping motivated. Even so I achieved less this week then planed. I Was quite busy with company work and finding a theme for my upcoming bachelor thesis. But enough excuses for today.

Currently working on the bottom texture. I'm going to lower the saturation on some areas of the camouflage, thanks for the hint Add3r. Also going to start with the wheels next week.
    From now on I'll try to post at least one screen every week. So here's the current one:
    btr_19ws3q.jpg

its looking awesome man, keep it up!
  • lilJohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lilJohn polycounter lvl 5
    Great work man! loving the detail and camo pattern!
  • James.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James. polycounter lvl 6
    your btr looks very nice
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    muy bien

AO influence on the texture could be a lot stronger imo, it feels very lacking and creates a CG feel. the cables on the side for example seem to just be floating there.
  • Wingednosering
    Incredible work, keep it up!
  • warxsnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warxsnake polycounter lvl 8
    Gorgeous model, great, clean work!
  • Mathis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AO influence on the texture could be a lot stronger imo, it feels very lacking and creates a CG feel. the cables on the side for example seem to just be floating there.

Yeah know what you mean, unfortunately I can't add any AO to the rope because both sides share the same texture, but the other side has a fuel tank instead of a rope, see picture.
    But I'll try to add some additional AO to the other external parts on next update, thanks for the hint.

btr_2iostq.jpg
  • Mathis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, here are some new screens from the Btr. Finally both the wheels and the bottom side got a texture now. The bottom itself is quite rough and has quite a bad resolution because it's only a nice to have feature for me. Also added details and increased the AO on the chassis texture.

Still to do: Creating specular map for the chassis and the wheels. I hope those colored back and front lights will look much better with a spec...
    When all of these points are done I'm also going to finally get the Btr in the Udk.

So, here are the screens:

btr_10gsnt.jpg

btr_267sk6.jpg

btr_302se8.jpg
  • Stormfreek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man this is really sick well done :)

Have you started spending time on the gloss and specular map? Would add interesting variety to your texture! Keep up the awesome work!
  • Mathis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your comment.
    Stormfreek wrote: »
    Have you started spending time on the gloss and specular map? Would add interesting variety to your texture!
    Currently there's only a spec and gloss for the turret (and a real bad one for the chassis). I'm going to start with the final spec and gloss for the chassis and the wheels next week.
  • Mathis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, so here's the first screen with Xoliul shader and gloass/spec for the chassis. Also added some more rusted areas to the diffuse.
    The wheels currently don't have neither spec nor gloss map.

Next steps: Adding spec and gloss map to the wheels and tweaking all the spec and gloss textures from every part. And finally export the Btr to the Udk... I can see a light at the end of the tunnel.

asd1g7suu.jpg
  • KnechtRuprecht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KnechtRuprecht polycounter lvl 6
    This is sick! You really nailed the rustet metal! I think it needs some mud though, around the tires. Keep up the great work!
  • Mathis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yet again another update. The Btr finally made it into Udk. Even so there aren't any spec or gloss maps for the wheels yet.
    The shading itself isn't finished as well, there are only few highlights for the spec and gloss isn't working so properly as well...

Anyway, I really would like to hear some other thoughts then mine ;)
    You might can help me at a little problem as well (see below).

asd16gbo5.jpg

I have quite some problems with normal maps in combination with mirrored UVs/geometry. The shading of the normal map is getting real weird. I found this solution on polycount, but I hope that's not the only way to fix it because I have quite some mirrored parts on the tank which would take some time to get rid of all of them manual... Someone knows a good solution?
  • Mathis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just made a little environment scene for the presentation at the weekend. Nothing finished so far, but I think it shows where I'm heading.
    Currently I'm getting a strange error when using the tiledshot command for making high-res screenshot, take a look. It seems the error appears when making a screenshot with a higher resolution then the monitor's. Does anyone know how I can get rid of this reflection error?

Screenshot of the current environment version:

random3ybui6.jpg

The Btr itself isn't finished as well... I should finally start to make the wheel's spec and gloss map :/
  • Mathis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some smaller update for the tank and the environment.
    Still to do:
    -Fix the bug with the mirrored Uv shading
    -Polishing on the tank's material/texture (mainly spec and gloss)
    -Create a camera track for a video
    -Fix some stuff that worked before but will be broken... surely there will be some...
    -Freetime !

random2p0ze1.jpg
  • RaPtoR_v9600
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RaPtoR_v9600 polycounter lvl 4
    looking great love the model what size texture did you use ?
    It would be fun just to rigid and to import it as skeletal mesh
  • Mathis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking great love the model what size texture did you use ?
    Thanks, the current Texture size is 4096x2048 (quite high and just for some closeups) for the chassis+turret and another 1024² for the wheels
    It would be fun just to rigid and to import it as skeletal mesh
    Yeah I tried to import the Btr as a skeletal mesh to have better control over the lighting, which can be edited separately from the other assets. Unfortunately something isn't working correct so I can't change the lighting of the skeletal mesh at all, so I'm just using a simple static mesh for now.

I think I'm going to make a first video prototype within this week. So here's another screen from the current version:

random53aj9b.jpg
  • Mathis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just finished with making a new Uv Layout for the lightmap.
    Finally decided to throw the cards on the table by posting some closeups from the tank and uploading the textures.
    The diffuse, spec and gloss textures are attached to this post. I hope I went the right way so far. If anyone notice things I have to edit/delete/add, please say so.
    Oh, nearly forgot to say that the attached images are half of the original size- the original texture size for the chassis+turret is 2048x4096.

2_back_255upt.jpg

2_back_3q3u8u.jpg

3_front_1jiuwz.jpg

4_bottom_1cqubq.jpg
  • Mathis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Delicious :D

You might want to throw in a spot light or something onto the vehicle in that UDK screenie though for some more dynamic lighting, that ambient night sky isn't doing your texture/normal maps justice!
  • toolpaddz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toolpaddz polycounter lvl 10
    diggin' it! Mud on the tires seems like a valid suggestion though ;)
  • Fraeger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fraeger polycounter lvl 8
    Super nice!
    But you might want to work a bit more on the lighting/shader. There is very little surface definition going on right now.
  • Mathis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Yeah I really should do something about those indoor lighting and the shader (which will be reworked next month hopefully).
    Just made another screenshot in Udk without this creepy hangar (see above)
  • Mathis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well... Finally, after I finished the model itself 3 months ago, I managed to polish the materials, environment, lighting and the video.

(Click the image to view additional screenshots- video below)

btr_01_thumb.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqeMTQFItNI"]BTR 90 - UDK - Mathis Widrat - YouTube[/ame]