Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

~~Sci-Fi Light MachineGun LMG~~ (Based on a concept from Bungie's new game "DESTINY")

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Computron polycounter lvl 7
ikMZHWXOx5Uuc.png
ikMZHWXOx5Uuc.pngI was watching Bungie's world-building GDC talk for their new game Destiny. During the presentation, they showed some thumbnail concepts sketches for various weapons that some of their artists made and I liked one of the LMGs:
0ccBU9U.png

I am not sure who made it, (Looks a little bit like Isaac Hanaford's work?) and this one-side low-res video screencap is all I got to work with :\

So I opened up Max and blocked out some variants to see how its shape works out in 3D:
ieurBy2byoAvm.gif

ikMZHWXOx5Uuc.pngSome proportions are a bit funky and certain aspects of this thumbnail concept dont really translate that well into 3d, but it should still be fun challenge. Namely, the back portion of the gun is very ambigious about how thick it is and all the details. I got some free time this weekend, so I think I might take the whole thing and make it a nice high detail sub-d mesh. Then I might take the model into nDo2 to add some normal map details and possibly texture it in dDo as well.

It's certainly an interesting concept and it certainly leaves enough to the imagination.

Day 4:
dXY5Qeh.png

Got most of the high poly modeled out (Except the scope, that's placeholder) I'll have to go through and make the bevels more consistent.

NbBlCWl.png

Also got started on the low poly.

Day 3:

Worked on the back half of the gun.

The Top panels, underneath the scope and the center part of the gun above the magazine are placeholder so far:
ictlwYFb47yLd.png

iyXwveXpF51I4.png

There wasn't much detail in the back half of the gun's concept so a lot of it is just stuff I improvise...

I got a feeling I will have to do a lot of FFD work in the back half to make the proportions fit, as right now its pretty thin. Probably should have figured this out earlier in the blockout :-/

Day 2:

Here's what I got done on monday, I can't work all that long on it today, I got other work to do:
ictIvSsTD4gwc.jpg

iktYv0eR8Zg3j.png

TsSA60d.png

DAY 1:

Here's what I had after working on it over sunday:
iUiXK6SPuc6xO.jpg

iyJUcsSukGqKd.jpg

(It's been a while since I last modeled Sub-D, so I was a bit rusty and this took my quite a bit of time)

Crits, Comments?

Replies

• mystichobo
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
    Looks like a good start :)

I probably would have interpreted the concept for the magazine like a cmag sort of thing :
    http://www.firearmsworld.net/usa/acces/beta-cmag/cmag_g36.jpg
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    I was thinking about doing it that way, however the gun is already pretty wide and I thought that might look a bit silly in this case.

BTW, what would be a the name for the type of Mag I modeled?
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked on the back half of the gun.

The Top panels, underneath the scope and the center part of the gun above the magazine are placeholder so far:
    ictlwYFb47yLd.png

iyXwveXpF51I4.png

There wasn't much detail in the back half of the gun's concept so a lot of it is just stuff I improvise...

I got a feeling I will have to do a lot of FFD work in the back half to make the proportions fit, as right now its pretty thin. Probably should have figured this out earlier in the blockout :-/
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    dXY5Qeh.png

Got most of the high poly modeled out (Except the scope, that's placeholder) I'll have to go through and make the bevels more consistent.

NbBlCWl.png

Also got started on the low poly.
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Done with the low poly and baking, I will post some decent pictures as soon as I finish adding normal details and deriving detail maps from nDo 2 and the like...

In the meanwhile, I am testing out SketchFab embedding:
    [SKETCHFAB]4o3JM7EMJVCtQlC350X70sbGJDY[/SKETCHFAB]

^Maps are at 4kx4k, so the textures might take a bit to load...

The normals' tangent basis is not synced with Sketchfab, and the material is not properly set up so it is not the best display, but hey, it's sketchfab and we're in the future. :poly128:
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Computron wrote: »
    *Snip* but hey, it's sketchfab and we're in the future. :poly128:

:D! Quote of the day.

Yeah. was kinda worried about the normals, But it makes sense that sketchfab's render probably isn't of the highest quality for being an embedded web solution.