Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Semi-futuristic medieval Castle

samifira
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
samifira polycounter lvl 10
For my next scene I'm making a semi-futuristic, semi-medieval castle.

I'm basing my scene off of this image:
BJjQdF6.jpg

Here's a shot of what I have so far:

R5SO4fu.jpg
bMUH9xb.jpg
Ydm8nrD.jpg?1

Here are some close ups of some of the more interesting pieces I've made so far:

GZYFVPA.jpg
XGC3jVp.jpg
I85ODlb.jpg

Aside from the first piece there I haven't done a whole lot in regards to the futuristic theme. Not sure how intense I'm gonna make the futuristic elements in this one just yet. It'll have to be pretty organic though.

Replies

• samifira
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a large radio array I'm gonna work into the castle:
    V37OLRx.jpg

Heavily inspired by this: http://i.imgur.com/QZwkDRq.jpg

Here's some normal maps I've made for the walls and trims:
    p5sL2OT.jpg
    lPKRCRA.jpg
  • ARCallejas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ARCallejas polycounter lvl 10
    Interesting. What are those models we're looking at? Are those base models or in game models?

My biggest concern is your poly use. B/c it's in UDK I'm guessing that this is for a game portfolio.

The actual models themselves look pretty cool, and that sci-fi piece looks awesome!
  • samifira
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those models I showed close ups of are the more interesting "building blocks" I'm using. More decorative walls, roof parts, etc.

The normal maps are of what I'm gonna be using for more general things like walls and the like.

For this scene I haven't really stuck to a poly-budget though I probably should since that'd be a useful exercise in rationing polygons.

Appreciate the feedback though. I'll have more pics up soon enough.

Thanks!
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Id work on your poly-distribution more, for instance on the jetty image, you have a lot of sub-divisions that aren't adding that much to the silhouette not to mention that these will be hardly seen.

Then on the scene with the spire part, the arch windows have a lot of polys that probably won't be seen from the players perspective.

Better to spend the polys in areas that add to silhouette and can be viewed up close.

What modelling program are you using btw? Looks like a NURBS modeller from your screens.
  • samifira
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good points about the poly-distribution. With the larger, fairly intricate piece I was trying to test myself by building this: http://i.imgur.com/QZwkDRq.jpg hence why there are so many parts that won't show up in the silhouette and would normally be better off as textures/normals. For all the other pieces though I'll definitely keep your advice in mind.

As for the program, I'm building the bulk of the meshes in Rhino and then finishing them up in Max.

Thanks for the feedback!