Home Technical Talk

marvelous designer 2

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
I have been messing around with the demo the past few days and I think its pretty damn good. You can get some really nice cloth shapes out of it. Do you think this is the way forward for production now, rather than spending days sculpting cloth from scratch.
I guess you just output the high res , project that on to a low base mesh in zbrush and then after tweaking in zbrush, retopo. this way you could even do morph targets for knee bends etc

single user licence is around 600 dollars , not sure if that would be cheaper when done in pounds sterling, but they will probably just charge 600 pounds :/

this was my quick test, sure I can do better with more knowledge

cloth.jpg

notice the avatar is of lower res than the cloth, hence the facted output. I am sure there must be a way to fix this

Replies

• MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    just use a higher polygon body mesh to reduce faceting. best idea is to use a decimated version of your sculpted body mesh.

as for using this tool, go for it if you like the results.
    for me personally, i never liked the results completely and almost always i can tell that it is simulated because i can spot the usual errors.

1. folds are too gravity dependent. interactive tweaking doesn't work too well and end result looks only good for resting/bind pose.
    2. only fast enough for very simple clothing, for complicated stuff my hand sculpting is faster than this and more accurate consider things like memory folds and different poses the character will be later on.
    3. for an acceptable result the mesh has to be very dense and exporting that and converting it to sculpt mesh is another time waster.
    4. hard to match cloth silhouette AND have proper folds too at the same time. for example you have to make parts of cloth either elastic or put a elastic seam to create pleating effect or make an opening narrow to get fold.
    5. more fun to sculpt by hand, more control too.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I must say the control aspect is the one thing I find lacking, but I think as a reference tool, its pretty good and there are some instances where I was thinking of making alphas/displacemnet out of the better folds/creases.

I think though it's really good to do a simple cloth sim in either this progam or max/maya before sulpting. I have found this to be of great value

I do think though as time goes by this kind of approach will become the norm, mainly because it fairly quick to set up. The one above took about 20 minutes

I must say though I would n't describe sculpting cloth by hand to be fun:/
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    this is some pretty cool piece of software, tried to click around in it a bit tonight and it feels very intuitive to use imo

ended up with this

tYLah91.jpg
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Ravenslayer did you put a seam on the sleeve, looks like it's open:)
    if you want to make that dress a bit higher res you can change the particle distance from 20 to 5
    I must say the docs are abit lacking and the tut's just seeem to do a lot of showcasing rather than step by step
    but yeah this image wasn't too bad, but as bit ruffley in places
    THIS WASN'T DONE BY ME - but looks pretty good I think
    884317_445009525573575_1778426468_o.jpg
    and this is ok
    53735_443850149022846_308956962_o.jpg
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Oh man Ruz looks like you nailed it !! Would you mind posting some screens of that outfit straight out of MD,without the extra manually added sculpting ? I am really curious to see what the raw output looked like.

Awesome stuff, can't wait to try it further.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    ha edited my post , the last two were just examples I fond on the interwebs
    sorry about the confusion pior

i tbink the second one was pretty similar to the raw output, just a few light details added in zbrush
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    Mike, what kind of performance do you get with particle density of 3-5 on that exact trouser garment from your first post?

can you interact comfortably while simulation is on ?

if you get good performance, what is your system spec ?
    pior wrote: »
    Oh man Ruz looks like you nailed it !! Would you mind posting some screens of that outfit straight out of MD,without the extra manually added sculpting ? I am really curious to see what the raw output looked like.

http://www.cgfeedback.com/cgfeedback/showpost.php?p=47034&postcount=24

that looks pretty good actually. i wonder how laggy it gets with that high res mesh because last time i tried MD2 demo with particle density of 5 the simulation was way too slow and my system is i73930k with 32gb ram, gtx460 2gb. may be it is more gfx card dependent ...
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Oh haha that's funny - I totally thought it was yours because of the Bruce Willis look ! And yeah the second screen is raw - I'm just wondering how much work was being added to create the finer seams that can be seen on the Bruce Willis picture. Maybe MD has some kind of feature to create these nicely sculpted seam effects where pieces of fabric meet...

Thanks for the link MM ! When I tried it a bit I had no idea that there was a pressure/inflate setting, great to know.

As far as response time is concerned, I found it pretty slow too. If I understand correctly, switching particule distance to something like 5 should be done at the very end - that is to say, after the main simulation is done, with a broader default value.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    last time i tried it didnt work like that, i had to reset the fabrics to default pose and run complete simulation for new particle distance to take effect and it was almost impossible to live interact at 5
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    I think it works like this now ... I am pretty sure I tried that after seeing the MGS5 talk in which they follow the same process ...
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Ruz wrote: »
    notice the avatar is of lower res than the cloth, hence the facted output. I am sure there must be a way to fix this

yup, export a higher subdivision ;)

as for your result, try to find proper sewing patterns, it really helps a great deal with the look of an asset.

The biggest flaw i found so far is my lack of proper knowledge of sewing, creating believable jeans for instance is something i couldn't achieve so far.
    Another thing is a missing "wrinkle memory", everything just simulates itself very soft, for instance if i angle my arm, the folds in some areas stay the same if i move it back to straight, unless i do some other extreme movements they retain for quite a while and also if used the same way over and over become part of the piece of clothing. While in all simulations i tested those wrinkles just get lost over time.

I found it way easier to create nice thin cloth like silk, linen or maybe even lightleather (due to the soft folds it creates) but properly looking denim or other thicker and harder clothtypes are not realy possible right now.
    At first glance the results look pretty believable and are an awesome base to work with, especially when you have to do plenty of cloth pieces during a production, but if you look more into it, you'll see quite a few deadends with the current gen of clothsim.

The ones i tested of course.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    playing around with the demo i found it pretty difficult to work with somewhat complex patterns/two sided cloth pieces stitched together from different materials. unless i'm missing something, sewing/selecting seams does only seem to work in the 2D window and the display in there can get confusing really fast.

mastering this app seems to require a new skill set tho and right now to me does not look like the quick fix to make (final output quality) 3D clothing.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    pior - yes the particle thing is only done at the end when you export. they could have just called it 'higher res'
    It's like when you have to mirror a half a shirt, its 'unfold' rather than mirror
    thomasp - you can actually stitch in 3d which is much more intuitive. you will notice you have the same seam icons on the 3d window. Weird how none of the tutorials mention this
    I don't think this approach is 100 percent useable yet, but its getting there. Perhaps the next version might touch on the areas that are lacking
    One thing to try is to change the shrinkage once you have draped it. you can make it a bit baggier this way OR you can select all the patterns and scale horizontally.This makes it the garment bigger/baggier

Neox - if you want to use the existing avatars, there seems to be no way to increase the res of the inbuilt avatars unles I have missed something. Though obviously I am going to be using mainly my own avatars.
    re making leather or thicker cloth I think you can do this my tweaking the parameters.
    I will try and do some more tests today, hopefully I can come up with some nicer stuff.

This one seems ok- the jacket is not too bad, but the trousers seem overly wrinkled
    wp_001.jpg

http://www.joelmongeon.com/Whitepage.html

you have to scroll down a bit to see how he made it.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i know this example and plenty of others, still i have yet to see one example that shows a real good jeans with its thick and stiff wrinkles. In most cases this "good enough" cloth works, for sure, especially with properly asigned shaders, still the wrinkle behavior often feels like "some cloth" not like "oh yeah thats one sweet ass levis jeans". If you get what i mean.
  • joebount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joebount polycounter lvl 12
    Quick question : am I the only one to have weird scales issues with the software ? I import a 1.75m female model in the trial and it appears to be waaaay smaler than the software's avatar with the same height (tried mm, cm, m, doesn't change anything). Autoscale do not fix the issue either.
    Any thoughts ?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I usually have to set it to cm and all is fine, i assume their avatars are just not in a proper scale
  • MikeF
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    what are you guys doing to get a decent output mesh?

the last time i used the trial version there was only really terrible triangulated output so i ended up having to do some crazy retopo based off of the uv's it generates. It worked but never got a super clean result without at least a few hours put into it.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Neox - I see your point, as in its a just generic wrinkly cloth and mostly the wrinkles are too fine - I am sure you can make the material thicker, maybe its just a case of messing with the paramaters
    I am going to play around more tonight seee if I can make something a bit more convincing.

MikeF, you could just knock up a low poly mesh , subdivide it 5 or 6 times and project the detail from the marvelous design mesh on to it in zbrush.

joebount - try autoscale
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    Ruz wrote: »
    pior - yes the particle thing is only done at the end when you export. they could have just called it 'higher res'

hey Mike, can you please elaborate on this ?

i am thinking of purchasing a license but the performance thing is holding me back.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    MM - there are two sections in the editor 'basic' and 'fabric'.
    under 'basic', look for particle distance and when you are doing simulation set it to 20
    when you are happy with it , set it to around 5, whcih makes the cloth higher res.

run the sim again for about 10 secs and it should look smooth
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    what's with the recent weird double posts
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    On a side note : I really wish the app offered a way to sketch on top of the 3d preview, with the resulting landmarks being sent over to the garment window for further editing and seaming. This would really make for an awesome workflow, very close to real life couture.

It might be possible to export the model to OBJ, 3d paint it in another app then bring it back the texture ... That would be awesome ... gotta try this further ... (computer's dying tho, most likely won't be able to try it anytime soon ...)
  • joebount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joebount polycounter lvl 12
    MM : I tried autoscale, it does not give me the right scale (better according to their own avatar's scale, but still not matching what kind of scale I have in Max.
    Other small issues with it : no real thickness and only tris. They have been saying for more than a year that they would work on that and ... well, not much !
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the tris will be fixed some time in the future, they want to add a quad output thingie, but its not there just yet.

Mathieu: as said just use cm and export it back as cm and all is fine, their avatars are just borked, if you want higher resolutions, use meter, then particle distance of 5 is so dense it will eat your ram in no time :D
    But as long as the imprt and export values are synched, everything is just fine :)

@pior, yeah or even placing surfaces directly in 3d and getting the unfold version. like what a lot of people do with real drapery, putting cloth on top, cutting or pinning away till it fits and work clean from this.
    What i often enough do is a quick retopo of my avatar with uv seams where i want the seams of the cloth to be and send a snapshot of my resulting uvs to MD and trace new cloth pieces on top.

@MM: yeah the particle distance set down to anything workable (as in ready to reproject and sculpt) is far from realtime, so usually you do the overall appeal with a a density of like 20. then i go in at 10 and tweak it wat roughly 5-10 fps and before i export i do it just as Ruz described.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I think the ablity to paint tension in to the mesh would be awesome.
    you can already visualize the stress and strain under the garment rendering style, but it would great to be able to directly manipulate it too
    the only way to do that is to scale the pattern horizontally, but you just get random results
    another way to bunch up cloth is to select seams individually and turn on elastic under the 'basic' menu.
    better than nothing but again not that predictable

pior - yeah wasn't really thinking about that guy looking like bruice willis ha ha
    it's not a bad piece overall.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Yeah Neox, cool workflow - it's kinda ironic really, MD is supposed to be the intuitive way of making clothing garments but at the end of the day I found it almost impossible to be creative straight within the app. It sure is interesting tho, makes me want to learn more about patterns and garments for sure ...
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    some tests i did yesterday and today morning.
    so far i am finding this mainly useful as reference than anything else. hopefully MD3 will have more features or control to pull me in further.

md2_test1.jpg

md2_test2.jpg
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    looking pretty good MM, you seem to have got quite advanced with the pattern making already.
    I think the trousers work best so far
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Hate to necro a thread, but I have some questions that google didn't help with.

How do you subdivide the default avatars, if that's possible?
    How do you make a symmetrical pose without having to eyeball it? Can you save poses?
    Also, is it possible to remove the high-heels on the default female avatars?
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Loving this program. Hopefully its actually affordable when it goes out of the current test phase.

Built this shirt the other night in like 2-3 hours. Speaks well for the program that its that intuitive.

The buttons I needed a tutorial for, since there are no fasteners like that in the program natively.

They're just an internal circle line on each shirt piece, sewn together, and a larger circle piece stitched to the exterior so it forms a little bubble. (I wanted a dome like button)

Nicely done crease lines MM!
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    thanks Vailias. yea the tools is definitely very intuitive at least in my opinion. the couple examples i posted above were done in matter of hours. anything you can imagine you should be easily able to replicate, you just have to think in fabric seams and cutting patterns. think of it as reverse engineering UV shells into templates.

the only place where it lack is the simulation speed at high resolution. sometimes i need to test a pattern in 1-2 particle distance for sharper more detailed folds but that that can get severely laggy.

btw, MD3 open beta is out till Aug 15th. no quad support yet but there are some good improvements to the fabric\material assignment system.
    Makkon wrote: »
    How do you subdivide the default avatars, if that's possible?
    How do you make a symmetrical pose without having to eyeball it? Can you save poses?
    Also, is it possible to remove the high-heels on the default female avatars?

you cannot edit avatars, you can import your custom avatar as i did in the examples above.

do you mean asymmetrical ? if so, you can just import custom avatar for that. there is also motion support but i think you would need to upgrade your current license to add animation support.

as mentioned above, no you cannot edit avatars as far as i know. just import your own avatar .obj files.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    I wish this thing used GPU acceleration (OpenCL), anything more complex than shirt/robe makes this thing unworkable on PC.

Although for what I have used it so far (Robes), it's great. Especially because it gives real insight on how much "cloth" do you need for later ingame cloth sim, to avoid big strencthing issues.
  • Pedro Toledo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pedro Toledo polycounter lvl 17
    Indeed, and in fact, do you guys have a suggested machine spec for running MD smoothly as the demos on the website?
    In specific the Metal Gear's jacket. If I try to make anything close to that level of detail MD gets really, really slow. :\
    My machine is better than the recommended settings, and it can't work that fast at all.
    Thanks.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Pedro: You can freeze or deactivate different portions of the outfit (depending on your exact need) That way you're only simulating a subset of the whole pattern.
  • Pedro Toledo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pedro Toledo polycounter lvl 17
    yeah, Vailias, I know you can freeze and deactivate parts, but it still feels like I'm not getting the sort of performance I would expect for a professional pipeline.
    Of course it's still way faster than sculpting all the wrinkles manually, but it just seems to me that I should be getting better performance :\
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    Just bumping up this thread as I have started testing MD3 lately and get serious amounts of lag when going below 20-25 particle distance.

Is it RAM dependent or is it utilising the GPU/CPU?

Its a cool program so far, and the results look pretty decent (when I can get it to work :).
  • djurdja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    djurdja polycounter lvl 7
    Hi
    i am playing arround with marvelous designer and i was wondering how you guys keep this forms so clean ? i mean do you have symmetrical options that you can turn on patterns? i cant achieve symmetrical patterns, so they are messy
    Thank you
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Are there any good resources people can recommend? Have got ythe basic idea of how to create patterns and seams, etc. Just trying to master it now, a lot of my results just end up tearing and flying off the avatar XD

EDIT: also would like to know if there's the ability to add material properties and different tension, e.g. Different folds for a top made of cotton or leather.
  • capone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    capone polycounter lvl 18
    Just learning this tonight, finding two problems.

1) Snap tools are wonky. Can't get verts to snap to grid even though all 3 grid settings are turned on. Even if I could just select verts and straighten them would be be ok. Not possible?

2) My rearrange (reset) patterns function is screwed. It sort of resets but is all in the wrong place!

I really want to use this software :(
  • Alvor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alvor polycounter lvl 4
    Can't get verts to snap to grid even though all 3 grid settings are turned on. Even if I could just select verts and straighten them would be be ok. Not possible?
    Uncheck "snap to pattern", this should help, since this gets priority over grid snapping when both options are checked.
  • capone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah thanks, I currently am using MD3. I know there is a MD4, maybe it's only available with that as I can't see it?
  • Alvor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alvor polycounter lvl 4
    Ah, I'm using MD4 myself, indeed. Not sure about MD3. In MD4 it's accessible from right clicking on a blank space in the canvas.
  • capone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Donwloaded the MD4 trial and it's there. Thanks.
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Ok I have just started to noodle around in MD and think I am getting the hang of it mostly. Just curious as to how people are doing very puffy thick garments?
    I've seen it mentioned that you duplicate a piece and sew them together? This is what I have been attempting so far without much success. Maybe I just need to keep tooling around.