Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Anniversary project - Create a Girl part 2

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
almighty_gir ngon master
hey guys,

so i wanted to make another girl, a year on from the start of the create a girl course with hazardous. i wanted to use it as a progress benchmark, see how much/if i've even improved at all in the last year... now, the course started around this time last year but it finished about 3 or 4 months from then but i feel like this is as good a benchmark as any to use!

i've only worked on her for about two weeks, tops. i'm trying to take advantage of some downtime which is due to end sometime this week.

some people have seen me working on this in the polycount hangouts, but i figured i should start posting up progress. i'm at the point now where i need to really start detailing out my textures and get ready for final poses/renders.

here's my current progress!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bBCyJFArrY"]Jean_Grey_Turntable - YouTube[/ame]

Jean_Grey.jpg
Jean_Grey_face.jpg

Replies

• Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Looking good so far! I would add more volume to the hair, especially the few lochs out in front. It seems odd having such a thin amount of hair flowing together in a mass like that. Maybe you're going for the no-makeup look, but seeing a comic character like this with such little eye shadow/lipstick is looking a bit odd to me. The eyebrows seem too light to me. That may be realistic on a natural redhead but again, looks a bit odd on a comic character like this.

Although since you are still working on the texture those may have been all things you were planning on changing anyway.

very cool though! I'll keep an eye on this.
  • Di$array
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Crackin' news and start Gir. I'm loving the progress so far! Roll on 90s comic designs :P

Overall its shaping up to be a treat but I think you could add more hair to her to get a better sense of volume and it could be longer in length as well. Plus i know this is WIP but she's missing that all important "X" on her belt.

Jean%20Grey%20comics.jpg
    339px-Jean_Grey.JPG

keep at it mate I'll be watching like a hawk.
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    The hair is looking a little thin in the UDK, but I know DX11 hair is a pain. Your faces have improved a lot, it's looking awesome!
  • Caldria
    Offline / Send Message
    Caldria polycounter lvl 8
    Hey man, looking good!

The skin is looking gorgeous so far.
    I agree with the comments about adding more to the hair, getting that nice thick volume of hair she'd have.
    Also, as Shiniku said - some eyeshadow/makeup will make her more in line with other comic book females (if that is indeed what you're aiming for) and it'll help make her eyes "pop" more.

Either way she is looking great so far, keep it up! :D
  • ponjarphy
    Offline / Send Message
    ponjarphy polycounter lvl 5
    Did you remove some hair?
    or is the polycount on it still massive?
    anyways good job man, looks awesome!
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    yeah i thinned out the hair quite a bit, it was 14k before, now it's about 6k. i'll try to give it some more volume though.

will look at doing a makeup pass or two as well, thanks for the feedback guys!
  • Adam Curtis
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam Curtis polycounter lvl 15
    Looking good man, really liked the model you did a year ago also!
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    This is the first time I've seen her with hair, and what strikes me the most is the values around her head and face. You have the shadows under the hair and the chin, on top of this dark blue material, contrasting with the light values of her face and the super bright head crest thing.

It's giving an impression to me of a floating face - and one that doesn't really catch my eye because I distracted by the headlamp. I would recommend maybe adding a subtle gradient to the blue material so that the head area is lighter, and trying to make the head and jaw pop out from the neck a bit more. (in the last pic it's just a solid colour almost!) For her night light maybe aim for brightness levels akin to Di$array's second image. And maybe desaturate your favourite references to see how they handled the values.

See you in hangouts!
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    made some changes to the face and hair, hopefully the hair looks a bit more full. i've also adjusted the lip shape slightly, and given her a make up pass.

struggling a little with the 1-bit alpha in the crytek SDK though.

Jean_Grey_2.jpg
  • MrsNomingtons
    Offline / Send Message
    MrsNomingtons polycounter lvl 11
    HI LEE.

I have little comments...Mainly cause I'm not exactly a character person. This is going to come from whatever lady side of me I have left. personally I think the make-up can do with another pass? less red? Perhaps a smokey eye even

http://danielmcfadden.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/krsitenstewartsmokeysteps_thumb.jpg
    http://jalibaba.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/tutorial-for-smokey-eyes.jpg

Also I think the sleeves could look a bit more welded into the garment cause at the moment they look a little detached. I don't know what they're called exactly, I just call them Gaga sleeves and hope people get what I mean. Maybe if you look at how those work and are sown together you could make your sleeves look a bit more convincing.

That's my two cents. Sorry if it didn't make cents.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    couple of posed shots... trying to figure out how to take high res screenshots from inside crysdk... not having much luck at the moment, it seems to upscale rather than take actual high res shots.

Jean_Grey_Final_1.jpg
    Jean_Grey_Final_2.jpg
    Jean_Grey_Final_3.jpg
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    shes looking good, a bit oldschool in the colour tones hehe, have you tried using the video capture type thing that records frames of animation to a folder? arrgh cant remember what its called :P
  • MM
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    few things that stand out right away:
    1. spinal curve is way too much, as if she is sticking out her butt. looks a bit odd.
    2. her costume is digging into her butt crack.
    3. shape of the feet or boot sole is off. see image below.
    4. forearm looks too short, or elbow is too far down may be.

ZRGDgkl.jpg
  • _DeadPixel_
    I agree with MM about her butt crack, it also looks a little tight around her collar bones/traps.
    I think if it's that tight it would stretch across the grooves, not cling to them.

As with her elbows falling short her arms look like they're lacking a lot of muscle mass.
    Throw some meat on the girl, only a dog wants a bone! :P

I'm assuming you're adding a little wear & tear when you say "detailing your textures" so I won't go into that.

Looking great though man, keep at it!
  • joshmtyler
    Offline / Send Message
    joshmtyler polycounter lvl 5
    Throw some meat on the girl, only a dog wants a bone! :P

I'm not trying to get all uppity, but that's a shitty thing to say.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    very cool dude, saw you working on it in the hangout the other day.

one thing id say is she needs more volume in her hair, right now it seems quite thin and you can make out each separate strand of hair.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Hey guys, i would have liked to have had more time on final presentation and cleaning up some of the textures a little more, but i've gotten really busy again so i'm going to have to call her done and move on!

final renders taken from inside the Crytek SDK.

Jean_Grey_1.jpg

Jean_Grey_2.jpg
  • Dan!
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    great job man!- I'm not a fan of the information bar cutting through the presentation but otherwise you certainly have something to be proud of.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    My one critique is the AO seems a bit harsh. I don't work in the current/next gen style so I typically hesitate to give any advice on it but I tend to tint my AO with a gradient map adjustment layer.
  • crazyfool
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    maybe check your FOV aswell possibly. good job on the hair though :)
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    it looks vertically stretched on my screen, is it just me?
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    hey guys, thanks for the comments!

Dan! - it's just the style of all my folio pieces, if/when i change my folio site i'll update the images as well.

Justin - i agree, i think it's a combination of maybe having it turned up too high on the texture and the way the engine is shading it. texture flat for the diffuse below though.

Crazyfool - i completely agree, i'm a total noob with this SDK man so i definitely need to dig into it. it's got some amazing tools though so i'm looking forward to it. for now though i've manually scaled her down in photoshop, hopefully looks a little better now?

Ged - same as crazyfool :P

Jean_Grey_Body_Diff.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    your ambient occlusion is Really overtuned . At the breast area, it looks like 2 dark strokes, its way too much.
  • badmouse
    Offline / Send Message
    badmouse polycounter lvl 8
    I Love it! can you post some pics of the wireframe? thanks!