Home General Discussion

freelancing with blender?

AtticusMars
greentooth
Offline / Send Message
AtticusMars greentooth
I'd like to start doing some freelance character modeling work in the future but I can't afford commercial licenses to 3dsmax or Maya so I was thinking of using blender.

For those of you who freelance do you think it would be a big obstacle for clients seeing as how they probably would not be able to work with your project file?

Replies

• pixelb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelb greentooth
    You might be surprised- plenty of studios hiring freelancers are small places themselves that can't afford to licence 3d software. I haven't had many freelance jobs myself but none of the ones I've had have objected to me using Blender- as often than not, they were too! The rest of the time, so long as I provided them with a mutually-compatible file like .fbx, it was perfectly fine.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    If you work with "Grey models + mapping", it's not an obstacle :), we have a good .OBJ exporter if the client uses another app.

But if you are asked for rigging, MR shading or Vray shading, etc. the thing changes.

the app is cool for small jobs.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Many freelance jobs that I've had for bigger studios will require you to have either 3dsmax or Maya, and while you may not need to do all of the work in these apps, you generally will needed to do thing like normal map bakes, final scene setup, and of course anything technical/engine specific like material setup, rigging and animation in the client's app of choice.

The good news is that you can deduct software purchases from your taxes.
  • SurlyBird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SurlyBird polycounter lvl 13
    Yep. Generally your clients will expect actual assets in their program of choice. If you are delivering nothing but .FBX files, final rendered images or animations, you might be able to swing it with Blender... but otherwise, expect to have to support either/or Maya/Max. Maybe even Softimage.

And while I agree you should think about tax deductions, make sure you're able to bill and receive payments which cover your expenses. That's part of running your business. And, yeah, get used to the world of subscription if you want the cheapest way to stay current with Autodesk. You may not even need the features in the upgrade, but if you have to open a X 2014 using X 2010, you're screwed. You definitely want to budget for both software and hardware upgrades as you'll likely need to deal with both.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SurlyBird wrote: »
    You definitely want to budget for both software and hardware upgrades as you'll likely need to deal with both.

Yeah, maybe a bit of a tangent but, when you're figuring out your rate as a freelancer you need to consider:
    A. What your need to live on (base rate)
    B. Hardware cost
    C. Software cost
    D. Taxes
    E. Retirement
    F. Health insurance
    G. Downtime

So all that factors into what you need to charge a client for work.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Thanks for the input guys

I hadn't thought about taxes but that makes sense

And yeah I'm trying to figure out all my costs and needs still
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    I dunno, if you really struggle with money, why not pirate software you need so much? I mean, I don't promote piracy or anything, but you can pay for it later when you have the money to spend for this soft.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    I dunno, if you really struggle with money, why not pirate software you need so much? I mean, I don't promote piracy or anything, but you can pay for it later when you have the money to spend for this soft.

:poly127:
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Yeah, maybe a bit of a tangent but, when you're figuring out your rate as a freelancer you need to consider:
    A. What your need to live on (base rate)
    B. Hardware cost
    C. Software cost
    D. Taxes
    E. Retirement
    F. Health insurance
    G. Downtime

So all that factors into what you need to charge a client for work.

Best I can do is $40.
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    I agree with above. If your just doing basic work in modeling and texturing, it should be alright to use Blender since it's great for exporting .obj files and all. But for .fbx files with rigs and animation I don't think it works as well as 3ds max or maya, but a lot depends on the workflow of the studio as well.

For indie development, the Unity game engine can work around this a bit since it can import .blend files directly. But lots of studios I don't think really have that sort of focus on Blender compatibility.
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    I agree with above. If your just doing basic work in modeling and texturing, it should be alright to use Blender since it's great for exporting .obj files and all. But for .fbx files with rigs and animation I don't think it works as well as 3ds max or maya, but a lot depends on the workflow of the studio as well.

For indie development, the Unity game engine can work around this a bit since it can import .blend files directly. But lots of studios I don't think really have that sort of focus on Blender compatibility.

Isn't blender obj export messed up with regard to smoothing groups/ hard edges in the fact that it splits the mesh where you have a hard edge ? So when if say your client imports your blender obj it will have to weld them ? Now if you have hard edges to uv islands for baked stuff your client would have to not only weld them but run his script as well (uv islands to hard edges) :(.I am really curious how you guys fix this or maybe i missed anything dunno.
  • Overlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt wrote: »
    Isn't blender obj export messed up with regard to smoothing groups/ hard edges in the fact that it splits the mesh where you have a hard edge ? So when if say your client imports your blender obj it will have to weld them ? Now if you have hard edges to uv islands for baked stuff your client would have to not only weld them but run his script as well (uv islands to hard edges) :(.I am really curious how you guys fix this or maybe i missed anything dunno.

There's nothing wrong with the exporter. Blender doesn't do smoothing groups. It only allows one normal per vertex, just like game engines.
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right but if the client uses max/ maya and needs to modify/check/ export himself to his engine(which could really be the case) than your "just like game engines" state fails for him, for the reasons i mentioned up.Also neither maya does "smoothing groups" but the export is fine from max > maya, maya > max.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11

EDIT: Piracy is not cool man. Pay your way.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Works fine, I just tested exporting a cube with some sharp edges and they imported into max as smoothing groups.
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz, have you tryied moving a vertex from that cube that correponds to a hard edge ?, last time i checked they were just detached faces.
  • Overlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt wrote: »
    Right but if the client uses max/ maya and needs to modify/check/ export himself to his engine(which could really be the case) than your "just like game engines" state fails for him, for the reasons i mentioned up.Also neither maya does "smoothing groups" but the export is fine from max > maya, maya > max.

Then you don't use edge split when exporting to other 3D software. Blender doesn't support multiple vertex normals, so it can't do smoothing groups, but Max/Maya do. However, game engines don't support multiple vertex normals either. Why are smoothing groups so important? They just add unnecessary vertices. You get better hard edges with normal maps.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    respawnrt: You're right it does just split the edges on export, should have checked that before. :/
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Overlord: That's idiotic. Same with ngons, which Blender also does not export.
    Exporting both of these should just work, so all of the work someone does in Blender carries over into whatever other software.

And your statement that normal maps somehow replace hard edges/smoothing groups is so illogical I don't even know where to begin. Hard edges can be used to help normal-map bakes for one, but also in the case of no normal maps hard edges are very important.
  • Overlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MightyPea wrote: »
    Overlord: That's idiotic. Same with ngons, which Blender also does not export.
    Exporting both of these should just work, so all of the work someone does in Blender carries over into whatever other software.

And your statement that normal maps somehow replace hard edges/smoothing groups is so illogical I don't even know where to begin. Hard edges can be used to help normal-map bakes for one, but also in the case of no normal maps hard edges are very important.

It's one thing to tell me I'm wrong, I can accept that given you can back it up with facts. It's quite another to insult me in the process. You could have phrased that without the attitude. Saying that my statement is idiotic or illogical beyond description is just poor social discourse and hurts your credibility. It's hard to take you seriously when you accuse me of being idiotic and illogical. It makes you look irrational and your argument weak because you resorted to negative comments about the speaker.

Now, just because Blender doesn't do things the way Max and Maya do it doesn't make Blender wrong or inferior, it's just different. You can also still have hard edges on objects, but it gets split on export. Also, instead of using smoothing groups in Max and Maya, you could just do a detach to element as well. It gets the same results as a smoothing group and it can then be exported to applications that don't support smooth groups without losing your work. The nice thing about edge split in Blender is that it works a lot like SG while the modifier is active at the bottom of the stack and it splits your edges for you on export.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    setting hard edges are a important part of setting a mesh up for bakeing as is sometimes setting vertex normals too. than there is low poly modeling with no normal maps where it is very important.

yes blender can just spilt on export, but think about collaboration, what if someone with Maya has to edit soar mesh? well they will have to fuck about with splits which can he a pain in the ass, or they will have to merg the spilt verts, which would average the 2 normals out loseing the data.

So yes I would say multiple vertex normals is a needed feature, expecially when collaborating with others on work, and something that blender is just inferior at.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    Overlord wrote: »
    Now, just because Blender doesn't do things the way Max and Maya do it doesn't make Blender wrong or inferior, it's just different. You can also still have hard edges on objects, but it gets split on export. Also, instead of using smoothing groups in Max and Maya, you could just do a detach to element as well.

thats not the point of this conversation.
    Yes, you could do many things that would work out perfectly fine. But the point is, most clients use max or maya and want a file perfectly compatible with their workflow.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    It's one thing to tell me I'm wrong, I can accept that given you can back it up with facts. It's quite another to insult me in the process. You could have phrased that without the attitude. Saying that my statement is idiotic or illogical beyond description is just poor social discourse and hurts your credibility. It's hard to take you seriously when you accuse me of being idiotic and illogical. It makes you look irrational and your argument weak because you resorted to negative comments about the speaker.

Now, just because Blender doesn't do things the way Max and Maya do it doesn't make Blender wrong or inferior, it's just different. You can also still have hard edges on objects, but it gets split on export. Also, instead of using smoothing groups in Max and Maya, you could just do a detach to element as well. It gets the same results as a smoothing group and it can then be exported to applications that don't support smooth groups without losing your work. The nice thing about edge split in Blender is that it works a lot like SG while the modifier is active at the bottom of the stack and it splits your edges for you on export.

He was calling Blender idiotic, not you...

And I would have to agree with him. If Blender seriously exports detached faces to other software... well... that would be idiotic ;)
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just tested blender to maya via obj, and yes indeed it does export detached faces to maya.

Maya does seem quite good at merging the vertices's, at spilt edges into 1 vert with multiple vertex normals though, just using the basic merge tool, with a low threshold.

Still stupid to have to do so, blender should be able to support multiple vertex normals, even if it doesn't do it internally since it uses tagged edges, and a modifier, it should be able to figure it all out on export, and use multiple vertex normals at export.

also i might be missing something but it also seems impossible to edit vertex normal facings in blender also, which this kinda makes it impossible to do foliage, and other things that require edited normals, and even some things such as giving the verts around large faces all 1 normal facing so they bake better etc.

If blender dosnt want to change the root of the issue here, the lack of support for multiple vertex normals, and normal editing, they could at least fix it at the export stage, with a export that creates data on overlapping verts for a vert with multiple normals.

even with the little i know about the Maya api, it would be pretty easy to write a obj importer that does this too for obj's incoming from blender.
  • frmdbl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    @passerby

Unfortunately everything wrote is true. There's no way to export smoothing groups with ANY exporter in Blender.

I've talked about [smoothing groups/hard edges] import/export numerous times on BA.org forum with no satisfying response.
    Like here, the answer was usually 'the Blender way is better', very little recognition of the compatibility issues.

There's no way to have multiple normals nor edit them per vertex.
    Edit: There's a script apparently that let's you edit normals per vertex and stores them.
    Otherwise Blender resets normals when you get into edit mode.Still impossible to have multiple ones.

Most importantly to me, there is no intention from Blender core devs
    to make Blender more suited for game art workflow.
    I think it was directly expressed by Ton Roosendaal.

Other than that in terms of game art, the viewport performance is terrible so modelling real high poly might be impossible. (at least on the newer NVIDIA cards).
  • Lamoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamoot polycounter lvl 7
    If you plan on freelancing with Blender, perhaps this website could be of some help.
    http://www.blendernetwork.org/

Good luck!
  • Overlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @frmdbl

Well, that sucks. It would be nice if you could edit the normals and it would nice if Blender supported multiple vertex normals. Maybe if more people in the game industry spoke up about it to the dev team, it might get more recognition? Petition, perhaps?

@Andreas

I don't think the Blender team really intends for people to export edge split to other software, but they aren't going to make an effort to stop you if that's what you want to do.

Now someone correct me I'm wrong, but don't smoothing groups cause errors in normal baking? You're essentially creating overlapping and diverging rays that will leave seams and doubling in the bake.
  • respawnrt
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I'm sorry, you're right. It was the absolute way in which you phrased yourself that set my teeth on edge. Either way, apologies.
    I just run into the 'The Blender way is the only way' attitude very often, not in the least from their lead developer, and it rubs me the wrong way. I use Blender (our current pipeline revolves around it), and the constant anti-game shit really annoys me. Since a few versions I can't load psd's anymore because of open-source politics, for example.

I model in other software for the most part and use Blender to bring it into the engine, but I recognise the need for it to export ngons and hard edges natively.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Breaking hard edges instead of storing custom normal data makes it pretty much impossible to set up your hard edges and get a clean bake in programs like Xnormal, Max or Maya without extra setup involved. You're going to get gaps along those broken edges which = nasty seams in your normal map.

There are ways around it, but this isn't a case of blender doing something "different", it straight up does not support common industry standards for file information, which is unarguably worse, not "different". It doesn't support proper vertex normals on file export, there are no benefits or good reasons not to supporting something basic like vertex normals, so the "different" card doesn't apply.

Andy Davies can probably pop in here and give some good tips for getting around the issue, like creating a "cage" mesh in Blender that is pushed/expanded enough that you don't need to create a cage in your baking app. I wont try to explain it further because I don't understand it as well as he does.

At the end of the day, Blender isn't really supported or used in the games industry like Max, Maya, or even XSI is. So if you plan on freelancing, its not really viable to do all of your work in Blender, unless you can find some small blender specific studios willing to give you steady work, or you're OK with turning down work from studios that use Max/Maya/XSI(in other words 98% of studios). Working for smaller studios that allow you to use blender only may be a valid option until you can afford to purchase licenses of Max and/or Maya as well.

That isn't to say Blender is useless or anything, you can probably do all/most of your modeling and uving in blender (I do all my high, low and UV work in Modo and have yet to have an issue with freelancing) but you're probably going to do all of your vertex normal setup(hard edges/smoothing groups), baking, final scene setup and asset delivery in Max, Maya or XSI.

Going blender only will also make it near impossible to work with an art outsourcing studio as well, as outsourcing studios will expect you to have your own license of whatever common software they are going to encounter when working with a large variety of clients. This generally means you will need Photoshop, Max, Maya, Zbrush and Mudbox. Yes, all of them, as a wide variety of clients means you need to cover all the common apps. Telling an art studio/client/etc that you can't open a file they send you to work on because you "can't afford anything but blender" isn't really going to fly.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Thanks again for all these responses, I've never worked with blender so this information is insightful to say the least and a bit disappointing :( I didn't realize these problems existed.
  • xrg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xrg polycounter lvl 10
    MightyPea wrote: »
    I just run into the 'The Blender way is the only way' attitude very often, not in the least from their lead developer, and it rubs me the wrong way. I use Blender (our current pipeline revolves around it), and the constant anti-game shit really annoys me. Since a few versions I can't load psd's anymore because of open-source politics, for example.

Out of curiosity, what was the anti-game stuff about?
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    For the cage export in Blender I use the following method, but it is a little long winded.
    • Add the Triangulate modifier to your LP mesh.
    • Make a duplicate of your LP mesh & add the Edge Split modifier (active but not applied).
    • Add a solidify modifier to it and move it above the edge split modifier in the stack.
    • Uncheck "Fill Rim" and check "Even Thickness" and "High Quality Normals"
    • Change the "Thickness" into a minus number, so that it covers your HP mesh entirely
    • Apply the Solidify modifier
    • Go into Edit mode and select one of the faces of the outer most mesh
    • Invert the selection and delete the inner mesh
    • Go back into Object mode and apply the Edge split modifier
    • Export the mesh with UV's, Normals and Keep Vertex Order checked.
    • Done!
    That should export a perfect cage mesh, with all the smoothing groups/hard edges intact.

Brecht has promised me that he is going to try and add cages before the next BConf, so fingers crossed.

As for split vert. normals, this is also only an export issue and just isn't supported atm. Apparently it is easy enough to do, but there isn't much call for it it seems (relatively). If everyone in the thread posted on the Blender mailing list asking for support, it would be added and pretty quickly at that.

The problem with Blender development is that its features are designed for Blenders internal workflow and not for exporting for other applications. This is why split vert. normals are not supported & why there is no cage support etc.
    The vast majority of Blender users don't require these features as they are pretty specific to game development and the game art user base is much smaller than viz/offline rendering, so most resources get used in that direction.
    As an example of this, until 2.57b, Blenders swizzle for normal maps was X-Y-Z+ and was only changed once Morten got involved and added mikktspace. It sounds super crazy to us, but for Blender to Blender it worked perfectly for most people so there was no real need to change it.

You can get freelance work using Blender but I will echo what others have said previously that you will be expected to have access to Max/Maya for the final asset unless they dont mind getting an obj, fbx or they are working in Unity. Very few game studios work in Blender and though that is changing slowly, the sad fact is that you will have to get Max/Maya if you want regular work.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Yeah, I was championing Blender at work, but the vertex normal issue was a show stopper. There so much progress and innovation happening with Blender, it's weird to see it missing "basic" features.

Though your explanation puts it into perspective. Those damn VIS guys out number us game artists on every software.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    @metalliandy So will exporting a cage like that allow one to properly bake maps inside Xnormal without getting seams from the vertex split? Am I understanding that correctly?

I'm also having trouble getting a proper ambient occlusion map bake from Xnormal with a model exported out of Blender, could the vertex splits be the problem with that too?
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    Since it was brought up in the thread I am curious about something. Since the last time I worked in Maya was in version 8.5, has there been an easy way to do smooth groups in that? Last I remember the only options were you manually try to do it which was extremely tedious, or to set it to all smooth or all hard edges for an entire mesh. Judging by this thread I would image that it must have improved, or would that leave 3DS Max as the only real method of working with custom smooth groups without tedious workarounds or some plugin extension?

Since Blender is expandable with Python I wonder how hard it would be to make something for similar smooth group functions as other software then, since this discussion seems to be leaning towards the conclusion that smooth groups are the biggest deciding factor on how useful Blender is for Freelance 3d art (at least for the modeling aspect).
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    Tobbo wrote: »
    @metalliandy So will exporting a cage like that allow one to properly bake maps inside Xnormal without getting seams from the vertex split? Am I understanding that correctly?

yes, you will get a perfect, seamless result
    sounds like a lot of things to do, but its more like 2mins of work

and to get back to the matter of freelancing.
    unity has a commercial section where you can offer your services and look for potential clients
    you could also make stuff and sell it on the unity asset store
  • Overlord
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maya has always had full vertex normal support, smoothing groups are just maxes way of handling creating smoothing splits. Maya accomplishes the exact same thing, with it's hard and soft edge system.

To each there own, personally i hate the max smoothing group system and prefer doing things by setting edges hard or soft maya style.
    Since it was brought up in the thread I am curious about something. Since the last time I worked in Maya was in version 8.5, has there been an easy way to do smooth groups in that? Last I remember the only options were you manually try to do it which was extremely tedious, or to set it to all smooth or all hard edges for an entire mesh. Judging by this thread I would image that it must have improved, or would that leave 3DS Max as the only real method of working with custom smooth groups without tedious workarounds or some plugin extension?

Since Blender is expandable with Python I wonder how hard it would be to make something for similar smooth group functions as other software then, since this discussion seems to be leaning towards the conclusion that smooth groups are the biggest deciding factor on how useful Blender is for Freelance 3d art (at least for the modeling aspect).
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby wrote: »
    To each there own, personally i hate the max smoothing group system and prefer doing things by setting edges hard or soft maya style.

Yeah honestly the max system is pretty strange and convoluted. In maya you can simply select an edge loop and set it to hard. Max you have to make a face selection, and then assign it to the weird smooth group system thing. If you want to do something more complex like have a hard edge transition from hard to soft abruptly, its easier to do in Maya, simply select the edges you want hard and click harden edge, in max you've gotta make two separate smoothing groups, and then select the faces bordering your the area you want soft and make sure those faces are on both smoothing groups(while remembering which group each is on), barf.

In Max you can do some really powerful stuff with the stack and smoothing groups, however, I personally like Maya's straight forward hard edge system. Though honestly, I spend very, very little time manually setting up smoothing in Max or Maya, instead I use scripts to set smoothing based on uvs.

Another thing that is a cool about Maya's hard edge system, you can select the UV boarders and set all of those edges to hard edge with a simple script. In Max, because of the weird smoothing group system, you can only really script it to separate UV islands into smoothing groups, which is lame if say, you have two islands connected by one or two edges, all of the boarder edges will remain soft.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I know this isn't a tutorial thread but: I almost never touch the smoothing group numbers in Max - running a complete Auto Smooth, while twiddling the angle value, will get you most of the way there. If you want specific faces hard: select the faces, turn auto smooth angle up to 180 and click Auto Smooth.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Yeah honestly the max system is pretty strange and convoluted. In maya you can simply select an edge loop and set it to hard. Max you have to make a face selection, and then assign it to the weird smooth group system thing. If you want to do something more complex like have a hard edge transition from hard to soft abruptly, its easier to do in Maya, simply select the edges you want hard and click harden edge, in max you've gotta make two separate smoothing groups, and then select the faces bordering your the area you want soft and make sure those faces are on both smoothing groups(while remembering which group each is on), barf.

In Max you can do some really powerful stuff with the stack and smoothing groups, however, I personally like Maya's straight forward hard edge system. Though honestly, I spend very, very little time manually setting up smoothing in Max or Maya, instead I use scripts to set smoothing based on uvs.

Another thing that is a cool about Maya's hard edge system, you can select the UV boarders and set all of those edges to hard edge with a simple script. In Max, because of the weird smoothing group system, you can only really script it to separate UV islands into smoothing groups, which is lame if say, you have two islands connected by one or two edges, all of the boarder edges will remain soft.

ya i got 2 main scripts i use for settings hard edges, and normal directions, one does uv border edges to hard edges, and the other i use on large faces that aren't baking very well. what it does is gives the vertex normals around the selected face the same normal as the face.

im sure there is prolly a script by no for max to emulate the maya way of doing smoothing?
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator

It's not the fact that Blender has or doesn't have smoothing groups really. It's that Blender physically breaks the geometry where hard edges are assigned that is causing headaches.

Blenders hard edge system (called sharp edges in Blender) is very flexible and similar to Maya in that you select an edge and mark it as sharp/hard, allowing for a very versatile workflow that isn't constrained by the regular smoothing group method that Max has. Blender also has built in functionality to mark the boundaries of each UV island as hard (UV/Image Editor> UVs>Seams From Islands> Mark Sharp), so we are all good there. :)

What is needed is the ability to export hard edges as smoothing groups while keeping geometry contiguous by splitting the vert. normals, rather than implementing an actual way to add smoothing groups. :)
  • Overlord
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ASE is a long dead format that was only used by epic, and unreal engine stuff so how does that matter?
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator

The problem with blender is not getting your models into an engine. That works just fine.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Apparently this is being worked on so it can become a permanent part of Blender.

See thread: http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?284736-Normals-Editing-in-Blender

Video demonstration for manual rotation:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ceNkQ6UNn1I

Copy and Paste of original thread for easy reading. Author's name is FelixSchl
    I want to add the functionality of editing vertex normals to Blender. Before I tackle this my way or the highway, I would like to find out what features the community would want to see from such development?

Personally, I would like the following:
    • Manually edit vertex normals using the rotate tool (DONE)
    • Transferring normals from one mesh onto another (projecting)
    • Differentiating between user-edited and calculated normals (DONE)
    • Keep using edge-split modifier to make hard edges (DONE)
    • Misc complimentary features, e.g. "Set to face"

I already put a bit of thought into each of those points,

1. Manually editing normals
    Requirements:
    • Operate on single Vertex (DONE)
    • Operate on multiple Vertices (DONE)

How to do it:
    Here some pseudo-code to convey the idea,

If only one vertex is selected:if normal for vertex is locked and if pivot_point is set to active element or individual origins:
    Rotate vertex’s normal
    else If several vertices are selected:if pivot point is set to “individual origins”:
    Rotate each vertex’s normal

2. Projecting normals
    Requirements:
    • Project from one or more meshes onto a single mesh (Object mode, Meshes only)

3. Hard Edges (DONE)Hard edges will handled as they are handled now. It enforces people to understand that a hard edge implies 2 vertices, even if most other 3D software (that I have used) abstracts this away.

Requirements:
    • Match Derived Mesh normal calculation, to preserve locked normals after modifiers

4. Differentiation between user-edited and calculated normals
    The user should have the option of having his normals re-calculated or not. I already started coding and added a "normal lock", so the normals stay put no matter what you do (on a per vertex basis) . While this works in most trivial cases, a bit more sophisticated solution should be thought of. E.g. when selecting a set of faces and rotating it, the normals should probably rotate along, even if locked - or maybe a switch for this behaviour? One way I can think of is to not store the absolute vector of the normal, but rather an offset - this however implies that when you mess neighbouring edges, the normals do not stay put completely. (SOLVED: When rotating vertices, faces etc. the normals now rotate along)

Another thread with some similarities, includes addon for tweaking normals.
    http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?259554-Addon-EditNormals-Transfer-Vertex-Normals

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FrxWAo5isB0#!

Furthermore, some users on their forums recommend toggling the include normals option when exporting. I havent tested this yet so I cant vouch for any of this exporting properly as of yet.
  • Overlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So is that it? The lack of editable vertex normals and exportable smoothing groups is what is holding Blender back from being an acceptable tool for freelance game artists? If you can use Blender through the whole pipeline and submit an engine-ready asset, it seems there's no problem. Is this accurate?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    So is that it? The lack of editable vertex normals and exportable smoothing groups is what is holding Blender back from being an acceptable tool for freelance game artists? If you can use Blender through the whole pipeline and submit an engine-ready asset, it seems there's no problem. Is this accurate?

That and what EQ said, studios that want the deliverable in their application's native format.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday: the issue of exporting split normals isn't fixed by Felix's (amazing!) work. Nevertheless, it's an extremely welcome addition to Blender, and I hope he keeps it up!